You can now locate your missing Android device directly in Google search

Justin Kahn

android google

Google already provides its mobile user base with the Android Device Manager in case a device gets lost or stolen. The app allows users to lock out their devices remotely and even erase sensitive data that may be on them in cases of emergency. However, in other cases it may be useful for some to be able to simply locate the device when it has been misplaced nearby, so Google is introducing a new “find my phone” feature.

The new feature isn’t found in the ADM app, but rather right inside of Google search. The company has added a search query prefix which gives Android users the ability to see where their devices are right on a Google map or even make them ring. Typing “find my phone” in any typical Google search bar will access the new feature while bringing up the aforementioned map and options.

As Google says in its announcement post for the new search feature, it is more geared towards those times when you’ve simply misplaced your device nearby like somewhere in the home/office or “at the bar.” While the find my phone feature does not allow you to lock or erase the device the way ADM does, it is a nice touch to be able to see where your device is at anytime and will surely come in handy for some.

Permalink to story.

I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't want my devices traceable. In wrong hands you would never find safety, unless you ditched all your devices.

This actually works! Gotta love technology.
It would be cool if there was a way I could call my phone via Google search and actually talk to the person that had my phone from a headset on my computer. Assuming it was with someone that wasn't a thief that is. I don't have a land line, so that would eliminate the need for me to hunt down a phone to call it.

I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't want my devices traceable. In wrong hands you would never find safety, unless you ditched all your devices.
I dunno Cliff, your post has me a little confused. You can locate your misplaced/lost/stolen device from any other Chrome browser anywhere when you sign in with your login details, why would you want to toss all your other devices?
This new feature actually works.

So you can't see how making your devices traceable, makes you traceable while holding them? Apps like this just makes it more convenient for anyone to do so.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but many government agencies have had this capability for quite a while now. I can even remotely listen in to your device without you knowing the phone is even on.

I dunno Cliff, your post has me a little confused. You can locate your misplaced/lost/stolen device from any other Chrome browser anywhere when you sign in with your login details, why would you want to toss all your other devices?
This new feature actually works.

Cliff is old school. When he has something stolen, he prefers to call the police. If he loses something, he calls his insurance company.

So you can't see how making your devices traceable, makes you traceable while holding them? Apps like this just makes it more convenient for anyone to do so.
You've always been traceable. Your mobile must ping off some cell tower near your location but unless you're James Bond I don't see anything to worry about. It's a handy feature you don't really want to make use of.

Back