You Think You Know Computers... Try Solving This...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMountaineer

Hi,

I am currently very stressed up.
I do not over clock.
I have not recently installed any new hardware.
A few weeks ago my computer began to restart at random moments. I read the memory dumps which quoted memory_corruption around 50% of the time. The rest of the time it quoted random software.

I ran Memtest for 16 hours with no errors.
I ran the computer on each stick individually and still got the crashes/restarts.
I also deleted my virtual RAM etc.

At times the computer would just freeze.

I turned off automatic restart and got the BSoD. This was also gave random errors, I had IRQ_NOT_LESS blah blah and STOP: c000021a and other stop codes I no longer have.
Event logger gave no usful info.

The situation got worse until at cirtain times, the computer would start up, restart and startup, restart five times before I could use it. Sometimes before my windows welcome screen had departed my sight.

At this point, I reformatted the computer.
With no success.
However the crashes have become less frequent.

So I guess it's now a hardware problem.

So I ran PRIME95 and got an error almost instantly on all the torture tests:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

After scouring forums for I don't know how long, I came to the conclusion that noone knows what this means.
However I followed a few suggestions (I think I did - I am a BIOS noob).

I decreased the DRAM clock from 133mhz to 100mhz and increased the
VCC1.5 from 1.5 to 1.6v.

By the way, I haven't got a clue what my DRAM clock is nor VCC1.5.

I am in need of help. If you can help me in any way, don't just click "back", let me know.
I will try anything
I am a desprate man.

I HAVE ATTACHED MY DXDIAG INFO FOR YOU TO SEE THE SPEC OF MY COMP.

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 19
i would work backwards on this one man.. i would first off take everything off of the mother board except memory and cpu and hdd of course and run it that way to see if you get the same reboot problem.. then i would try the memory in that system in another to see if you get any problems with the memory in another system... always try known good components when it becomes a hardware issue...that is why i keep backups of all components. after you have tested just the mother board memory and hdd then start putting stuff back in one at a time till you see the problem again..Right now i am thinking memory or motherboard for sure.. also try the hard drive in this system in another and see if that shows any signs of failure.. good luck man

Thanks alot for the advice but I have the problem of not owning spare systems and componants (I'm a poor student :( I too belive it to be the motherboard or the memory, (motherboard ranks higher in my guess list).
I don't even have onboard video so my card would always have to stay.

I didn't think that video could be involved but I heard that the memory could be involved there.

To be honest, your issues describe exactly what I'd expect from an overheatting issue. Check that your CPU and chipset heatsinks are properly in place (not loose at all) and that your fans are working properly.

I've found that any time I've come across a pc with random lockups that needs to wait a few minutes to start up again is normally overheating.

Overheating, bad motherboard or bad power supply is your most likely culprit here. Especially if memory tests good and you are getting very intermittent problems that developed out of nowhere.

Of all the components in your system, the power supply is the most likely one to fail next to hard drives, and is the most common one to be overlooked when building a system. Since you can get a new, quality power supply for fairly cheap, I would first start there - after you ensure that your system is not overheating, of course.

If you think heat is a problem there are at least some very cheap aids that may help.
Give your Box a real extreme cleaning , everything ,, just be careful with vacumn.
Pull the CPU and Heatsink clean it and apply fresh paste.
You just might be pleasantly surprised.

If overheating is the issue, would the reported tempreture be any use?

I have monitored this and is never more than 40 degrees C.
My fan runs at 4219 RPM as reported by everest. So does this mean its ok/not ok?

Where can I get paste from?

thanks
dan

Just thinking,
I get the restarts from cold, once i've turned the comp on but then sometimes it runs for hours before the restart...
Can't be overheating I dont think

Dan

Just thinking,
I get the restarts from cold, once i've turned the comp on but then sometimes it runs for hours before the restart...
Can't be overheating I dont think

Dan

Restarts from a cold start then either you have memory probs or associated clocking issues, OR a bad Power supply. Like Soul Harvester said it's an easy cheap fix and I beleive is your problem here.
(BTY, put back your BIOS settings for now: VCC voltages and DRAM clock to default settings.)

I havent had a restart since i change those bios settings, but when i get one ill return them...

does anyone know what this means:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4971700131, expected less than 0.4

thanks
dan

Well it's hard to say exactly why P95 finds such gross errors, but generally I saw these when I was in the process of OC my rig. Which is to say to me; 'I had my clock freq and mem timings wrong OR I was overheating the mem or CPU during the torture test' (which would happen if I set the CPU freq too high).

But with that being said, a crappy PSU can simulate all sorts of clocking and timing issues as the CPU/RAM and mobo chipset struggle on the edge of "not enough power". You have 2 HDD, 2 DVDs a not bad video card, so my guess is you need about 400-450W of good clean power, real power. A crappy, no name brand PSU will run at 70% it's rated power. for example 450WX0.7=315W. This is the continues safe power output, the 450W part is the peak output for a few seconds. But a descent PSU like Antec, OCZ will cost you 30 (pounds) and give you a very stable system.

Bad power supply. Ask around and I'm sure somebody in your circle of friends has a spare power supply lying around. I would agree, however, that you should blow out the dust first. Excessive dust inside the case can cause static to build up and can damage components. DON'T USE A VACUUM! Use only compressed air.
Another thing to check out is whether you're generating static as you're moving around your computer. If your system is not properly grounded through the wall outlet, it will do as you describe.

Peace.

No. You need the appropriate form factor Power supply for your system. ATX is the most common form factor and is likely what you have. Check that the main motherboard connector and the main PSU cable have compatible connectors. Also check that the PSU has the appropriate power connectors for any other additional motherboard power connectors. Also check that the PSU has an appropriate load rating for your system.

My situation has got worse,
now, all of a sudden for no reason, the computer just feezes - full stop.
I have to do a manual restart, it is most common for the computer to do it whilst starting up, or just after...
sometimes however it works ok...

There is no info in event viewer and no minidumps are left.

Please can someone help!?

Hello Mountaineer,

Any news? A complete freeze like that reminds me again of my OCing efforts, until I found the right settings. You have put your BIOS back to fail safe settings for now right? Can you tell us what your PSU is, the max Watts and the current on the 5 and 12V outputs. It can be found on the label on the side of the PSU. Should look like 5V 40 AMPS, 12V 20AMPS. (or might just have an A as in 20A).

Did you try this yet as suggested by Opti:
i would work backwards on this one man.. i would first off take everything off of the mother board except memory and cpu and hdd of course and run it that way to see if you get the same reboot problem..
This will check if your PSU has the power to run your system. I would also suggest you remove one stick of RAM, then swap from one to the other to narrow down if one is faulty.

ok there was plenty of info on the side of the psu:
i copied it out and will put it here...

Mercury - 200W - Model: KOB AP4300X CE

VOLTAGE CURRENT
V- INPUT - 115v/230v 8A/4A

V OUTPUT - +3.3V +5v +12v -5v -12v -15vSB
20A 30A 10A 0.5a 0.8a 2a

Hope you make sense of it!
Please help...
I will take out all the componants i can of the PC but i don't have onboard video so I will have to keep my 9700 Pro in, and my USB and modem for the internet,
I will D/C all the CD drives etc
Thanks
Dan

Ok,
I've taken out:

My firewire ports had Sony Cam attached
CD/DVD Reader
CD/DVD Writer
Floppy
Old 56k Modem
External hard-drive
Printer

Now I have attached:

USB ports from motherboard
DSL Modem
CPU
Speakers
Ati Graphics Card 9700 PRO
RAM - Already tested individually - same problem with each stick
Onboard sound

Any more advice?
Thanks
Dan

Crashed again - the minidump quotes win32k.sys, but i have googled this with no cure... The event viewer seems to give some clues, if they apply or not I don't know:
Here they are:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Hanging application msnmsgr.exe, version 7.5.324.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

excuse me while i kill myself

Was your external HDD label D: by any chance? It seems Windows is looking for msnmsgr.exe. Open the RUN window and type services.msc. Located msnmsgr and stop it. Set properties to manual.

If you still get others Windows hang, maybe just elave external HDD connected for now.

Hi,
I think the freezing was down to msn 7.5, I think ive sorted that now
however the computer just restarted again...

Quoting win32k.sys - it has cited this in the past few mini-dumps, memory_corruption once...

I really don't know what to try...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan

nu geriausia butu iskarto winus perkalt. Taip mes lietuviai visada darom kai susiduriam su kvailom kompo problemom. taciau kadangi nesupranti mano kalbos, kvailas uzsienieti, tada siaulau kaip ir visiems: :haha:

download and install latest chipset drivers
or buy more powerful power supplier (500w)

thats all...

Zalgiriui Zalgiriui Zalgiriui valioo,
Juk taip sitaip puikiai zaidzia sunus Lietuvoj....! :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back