TechSpot

"Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection!"

By littlegirl
Aug 8, 2009
  1. I'm sorry to bother everyone. :(

Just an hour ago, I got this horrible spyware thing with the red X on the bottom right of my screen.

I'm not very good at computer security stuff so I have no idea what to do and need a step by step method with getting rid of this problem.
    I only have norton antivirus but it's not helping and other than that, I have no other security-like programs.

I would appreciate any help regarding what and how to install applications or whatnot that would help me remove this spyware because I am very worried.
    Please please help me.

NOTE: I've read this other post I found (on this site also) but I dont understand much. The spyaxe uninstaller site is not accessible and I downloaded the microsoft malicious software that is suggested but it keeps on becoming non-responsive and won't finish the operation,

2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Hey Littlegirl!, welcome to Techspot! :D
    Please do us a favour and follow this link,
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
    Chances will be pretty high that your problem will be solved.
    Since both Avast and Avira are both recommended for antivirus software, I would like to recommend Avira since it's faster/easier to get 'up and running'.
    Once you follow the 8-steps, post your logs and we'll take it from there.
    By the way, you're not bothering anyone, enjoy your stay ;)

3. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Hello again,
    I just re-read your post and noticed you had Norton installed, you should uninstall it. It will interfere with your Avira (or AVast) depending which you install. Lately I have been finding that Norton doesn't do what we pay for it to do (except for leading you to a great site like this;) ).
    If you need to, use this to clean out your Norton install> http://www.techspot.com/downloads/1437-norton-removal-tool-symnrt.html

4. littlegirl

littlegirl TS Rookie Topic Starter

OH STRATEGIC! Thank you for your help.

I'm so happy!
    I was following your suggestion on going to the 8 step thread. SO I did and started off by downloading Avira.

During the download though, Norton Anti-virus appeared with a message that it had resolved something called 'trojan.fakealert" at a high risk level and it needed to restart the computer for complete removal. Thus I did, and once I was back to the desktop...THE RED X HAD DISAPPEARED! ;D

Problem solved. ;D

5. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd TS Rookie Posts: 316

Some of those notices are fakes, installed online simply to sell you software.
    That is why it is important to follow the 8 steps fully and completely.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.