TechSpot

Your new PC make it or buy it?

1. tell me will you make your new PC or will go out and buy one? and if so which one will you buy?:suspiciou For me it,s all make but it,s me

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

Been building systems since the Pentium 3 days. It is enjoyable if frustrating some times.

3. spikester48661

spikester48661 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 103

O-yes frustrating all the way.but fun too

4. wolfsbabe

wolfsbabe TS Rookie Posts: 23

I had mine custom built so I could have the best of everything. in future I may buy one. At the time I built one I had a friend who knew how to do that.

5. Sunny87

Sunny87 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

It's all about the building! I havent built one for myself in ages! Other people yes, I still use my AMD X2 6000+ still it's not bad it has 4GB of RAM, it will get recycled into a standard desktop PC eventually, as I'm really after a Intel Quad core CPU and one of them ATi x2 HD cards!

6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

built it of course.

7. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

Unless I need a laptop, I would build. That's the only way to get exactly what you want. First build was a Z-80 based baby which I needed to solder myself and used a tape deck as information storage. :)

8. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TS Maniac Posts: 698

Always build

9. dspike

dspike TS Rookie Posts: 23

Home made

Why trust others to screw it up...Do it yourself...LOL

10. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

bought mine, no headache that way, come with a warranty, and if you shop around and find a good deal it can be as cheap as or cheaper than building your own.

11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,330   +277

I've always built - but my next one may be bought.

12. Justice101

Justice101 TS Rookie Posts: 21

Built! <3 my own builds

13. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 246

I put together my own builds and I am not a big fan of OEM machines like Acer, Del etc. Their good for general users but I prefer to choose which parts I want to use.

Why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself is what I say.

14. Brokenbuyer

Brokenbuyer TS Rookie

I bought my 5100, then just add and upgraded parts on those. I use it for home and some games
    If I want to play a more graphical game and need to upgrade. I usually go to Call of Duty _____ Requirements. And look at recommended stuff, research, compare, buy ;)

15. GN48

GN48 TS Rookie Posts: 156

I'd have to agree with what wolfsbabe said:

and what nazartp said:

I'd say building your own PC, but that's if you know what your doing of course!

16. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Build. But I'd ask someone to build it for me since I'm not that good with computer building. :)

17. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Anything less than build is outrageous drunk talk.

Hmmm..That smell of a new motherboard manual, the stroking of that new CPU's pins (ooh lovely pins), the laydown of your case with it's wires hanging out, as though you're the surgeon, and it's time for a very personal closeup. The polish of the shiny bits, the careful moving as not to invoke hard drive failure. The satisfaction of pressing the on button, to find, SHE LIVES!...And my work for now, is done...

Of course, this is but half the story... ;)

18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,810   +918

Just leave your fingers off the CPU pins, and step away from the board! Human sweat is extremely corrosive, and it doesn't take very much of it to bollix up electronic gear. Besides, didn't your mother tell you that, "stroking the pin", would cause you to go blind...? :p

19. Benny26

I know, i know, but it's just so "electrifying" when it comes to computers, don't you think?

As regards to my Mother. She told me that Santa existed once, how she could lie to me like that i'll never know. Broke my heart it did :(

20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,810   +918

Well now Benny, he's still there, you just can't see him....! ROFLMAO

(You did post that in the capacity of a straight man, I hope)?

21. Benny26

Ahh, good one :) I'm not sure how to reply to that one now :suspiciou

I'm the Straightest guy in the UK me bud ;) :D

22. IcyFiftyFive

IcyFiftyFive TS Rookie

I am going to attempt building my first one, and came here (to this forum) seeking advice!

23. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

(
    We'll gladly help! )

Since the Pentium 4 (original) days, I've been building my own PC's. Not laptops though, those are always bags-o-tricks to assemble... no standards and so on... bummer.

Also, I've sold many of my builds. Great source of income as long as you don't sit on the parts for too long. As they say in the business: if you want to make money by investment, skip computers, become an estate agent. So it's all just a hobby really.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.