TechSpot

YouTube: 35 hours of video uploaded every minute

By Emil
Nov 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube has announced the latest upload data; every minute that passes, over 35 hours of video is uploaded to the video sharing website. In other words, YouTube gets over 50,400 hours (2,100 days worth) of new video content every day.

Read the whole story

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That's an impressive statistic. It's even more impressive to see the graph show the details by month. However, it makes sense, with more and more content moving to the internet, it's gotta go somewhere.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

That is unbelievable... How they keep it up and running is beyond me.

4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

This is the future

5. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

I like the games ETC allow you to instant upload to youtube. If you don't have a Capture card being able to just upload to youtube is great. I hope more games do this.

6. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,074   +100

What bandwidth do you need to support a website such as this? And they are saying that they want from us 48 hours per minute?
    @TomSEA i agree with you.
    this just makes us look like *****s when we're complaining about a video that doesn't load fast enough

7. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

The future is here.

8. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Wow, that's pretty impressive. That is a hell of a lot of storage for all that video. It's too bad so much of what's uploaded is crap.

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I wonder how Google makes a profit out of storing all those videos, I doubt the ad clicks are growing as fast as that graph above.

10. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

Sponsored videos and ads in videos.

11. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

I had no idea youtube had that much video per minute!! i thought it would be like half of that

12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 410   +38

Wow that is insane! I wonder how much of that content is HD?

It would be impressive to see their datacenter(s) that house this data. Perhaps I should look into getting a job for capacity management at youtube. lol

13. fadownjoo

fadownjoo TS Rookie Posts: 64

Yesterday was the future...tommorow...is..history

14. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

Hatz off to Youtube. Thankyou so much for the support and innovation guys. People love to share their videos unlike profile on networking sites. You guys have made life easy. I dont know how much data you might be storing on your sites. But when i try to search for videos generally i end up finding too many duplicate videos of the same file. If you try and remove the duplicate videos from your site then you can allocate more space and time for uploaders.

15. bam13

bam13 TS Rookie Posts: 42

impressive statistics...the only thing is that most of the content is rubbish, however that´s problem of the uploaders, not YouTube

16. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

That is ridiculous! I wonder how much of that is actually viewed. I don't quite understand how their servers can handle all of that data! It would be amazing to know how many hours/years of video's they have completely. That could be a lot!

17. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +314

I honestly want to know what servers they use and what the specs are, they must be absolutely insane! and there speed to the internet as well must be around 100GBps download and probably more upload!

Wish they would release that data, then again, it might then lead to hackers getting hold of data they could possibly use to crash the servers or something.

Still very impressive statistic. Honestly cannot believe how much is uploaded daily!

18. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

would take a lot of crash googles servers!

19. xcelofjkl

xcelofjkl TS Rookie Posts: 86

Talk about S-T-O-R-A-G-E. I just built gave my dad my old harddrive @ 80gb max. My how the times have gone.

20. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

I wonder how much Featured Videos "Sxephil, Shane Dawson, RayWillian, etc" make up of this and overall views..

21. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

That is incredible, 35 hours of videos a minute.
    No wonder it is not censured. It would take approximately 2,000 people working around the clock. 6,000 people if they had 8 hour shifts, and that is under estimating that the people would only watched part of the videos before deciding if they were fine or not.
    I wonder if YouTube is planing to take over the world ahead of Google...

22. fritz123

fritz123 TS Rookie Posts: 56

actually, youtube is owned by google already. and yes, they are taking over the world hand in hand

23. fritz123

fritz123 TS Rookie Posts: 56

i wonder where the guys at youtube store all these stuff. i guess most of these videos are not even getting views anymore. they're now just on sad dusty storage drives in youtube's system, unviewed, forgotten, overshadowed by call of duty gameplay and talking oranges. the statistic just shows us how much video we can access for FREE. now thats just awsome. now they just have to find a way to make some of their videos load faster.

24. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

That is quite impressive. I wonder how they manage to store all that video. They must be having some massive storage facility to support all that video and still ask for more. I wonder how big their servers are. Hope to see these statistics grow to give us more free entertainment. You tube is becomming ever so popular, and people are even reviewing goods on you tube.

25. rizalp

rizalp TS Rookie Posts: 39

Sadly, that many duplicated videos comes from different account. How do you propose Youtube to delete it? You can just delete it can you?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.