YouTube: 35 hours of video uploaded every minute

Emil

Staff

YouTube has announced the latest upload data; every minute that passes, over 35 hours of video is uploaded to the video sharing website. In other words, YouTube gets over 50,400 hours (2,100 days worth) of new video content every day.

The milestone comes eight months after the company announced back in March that 24 hours of video were being uploaded to YouTube every minute. YouTube is attributing the spike to the following reasons:

• The time limit for videos uploaded by users increased by 50 percent from 10 to 15 minutes.
  • The upload file size increased over the last few years by more than 10x to 2GB via the site's standard uploader.
  • Mobile phones have improved dramatically in how quickly and easily they upload videos to YouTube.
  • More companies are integrating YouTube APIs to support uploading from outside of the website (Call of Duty: Black Ops, for example, allows gamers to record and share video footage from within the game).

So what's next? The company is challenging its community to upload 48 hours of video every minute. Given the exponential growth pictured in the graph above, we expect the site will hit that milestone early next year.

Permalink to story.

That's an impressive statistic. It's even more impressive to see the graph show the details by month. However, it makes sense, with more and more content moving to the internet, it's gotta go somewhere.

I like the games ETC allow you to instant upload to youtube. If you don't have a Capture card being able to just upload to youtube is great. I hope more games do this.

What bandwidth do you need to support a website such as this? And they are saying that they want from us 48 hours per minute?
@TomSEA i agree with you.
this just makes us look like *****s when we're complaining about a video that doesn't load fast enough

Wow, that's pretty impressive. That is a hell of a lot of storage for all that video. It's too bad so much of what's uploaded is crap.

I wonder how Google makes a profit out of storing all those videos, I doubt the ad clicks are growing as fast as that graph above.

slh28 said:
I wonder how Google makes a profit out of storing all those videos, I doubt the ad clicks are growing as fast as that graph above.
Sponsored videos and ads in videos.

Wow that is insane! I wonder how much of that content is HD?

It would be impressive to see their datacenter(s) that house this data. Perhaps I should look into getting a job for capacity management at youtube. lol

Hatz off to Youtube. Thankyou so much for the support and innovation guys. People love to share their videos unlike profile on networking sites. You guys have made life easy. I dont know how much data you might be storing on your sites. But when i try to search for videos generally i end up finding too many duplicate videos of the same file. If you try and remove the duplicate videos from your site then you can allocate more space and time for uploaders.

impressive statistics...the only thing is that most of the content is rubbish, however that´s problem of the uploaders, not YouTube

That is ridiculous! I wonder how much of that is actually viewed. I don't quite understand how their servers can handle all of that data! It would be amazing to know how many hours/years of video's they have completely. That could be a lot!

I honestly want to know what servers they use and what the specs are, they must be absolutely insane! and there speed to the internet as well must be around 100GBps download and probably more upload!

Wish they would release that data, then again, it might then lead to hackers getting hold of data they could possibly use to crash the servers or something.

Still very impressive statistic. Honestly cannot believe how much is uploaded daily!

I wonder how much Featured Videos "Sxephil, Shane Dawson, RayWillian, etc" make up of this and overall views..

That is incredible, 35 hours of videos a minute.
No wonder it is not censured. It would take approximately 2,000 people working around the clock. 6,000 people if they had 8 hour shifts, and that is under estimating that the people would only watched part of the videos before deciding if they were fine or not.
I wonder if YouTube is planing to take over the world ahead of Google...

i wonder where the guys at youtube store all these stuff. i guess most of these videos are not even getting views anymore. they're now just on sad dusty storage drives in youtube's system, unviewed, forgotten, overshadowed by call of duty gameplay and talking oranges. the statistic just shows us how much video we can access for FREE. now thats just awsome. now they just have to find a way to make some of their videos load faster.

That is quite impressive. I wonder how they manage to store all that video. They must be having some massive storage facility to support all that video and still ask for more. I wonder how big their servers are. Hope to see these statistics grow to give us more free entertainment. You tube is becomming ever so popular, and people are even reviewing goods on you tube.

ruzveh said:
Hatz off to Youtube. Thankyou so much for the support and innovation guys. People love to share their videos unlike profile on networking sites. You guys have made life easy. I dont know how much data you might be storing on your sites. But when i try to search for videos generally i end up finding too many duplicate videos of the same file. If you try and remove the duplicate videos from your site then you can allocate more space and time for uploaders.

Sadly, that many duplicated videos comes from different account. How do you propose Youtube to delete it? You can just delete it can you?

Back