YouTube adds support for 60 frames per second videos, content creator tools, more

By Shawn Knight
Jun 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Watching videos on YouTube will soon be more enjoyable than ever. The Google-owned company has flipped the switch on support for videos of up to 60 frames per second which means video game footage in particular will finally look as...

Read more
  2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

I can see the difference on my Note 2. This is freaking awesome!
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,113   +1,377

Great news! For the last year I've been watching movies in 60fps only, either by downloading them remastered in 60fps or using live frame injection. The latter isn't as good as the former though.

But once you get used to it, 30fps isn't an option anymore, you can feel the lag, and it's painful.

Next step for YouTube - provide live frame injection, to be able to watch standard videos at 60fps.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,248   +220

Does it double the frames (remastering) or something? Since the movie is shot in 24.xxFPS how can you get 60?
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,113   +1,377

Yep, and it is called SVP, best one yet. It injects frames on the fly to 60fps.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

If it doubles the frames how is it any smoother looking? unless it just crossfades between them.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

This is a topic is about as ridiculous as 4K, when it comes to slow bandwidth. I neither have the bandwidth for 4K or 60FPS streams. I'm not complaining about 4K or 60FPS. I'm suggesting it is a ridiculous option for the majority as they couldn't use it if they wanted to. I find it pathetic that such extremes are being pushed out, before the majority can even stream 1080P.
    avoidz and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Don't sweat it Cliff, by the time folks like us can make use of it, the rest of the world (or maybe 0.1% of it) has moved on to 24K and 300FPS.
  9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,374   +2,165

So, because the "majority" can't utilize something, the "minority" should not have it? Am I understanding your position correctly or have I misinterpreted it?
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I think our eyes will need upgrading before that day comes. lol
    You are correct! It doesn't matter if we can afford it or not, we should at least have the options available. In other words upgrade the Internet infrastructure before putting out content that will require the upgrade.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Tekkaraiden likes this.
  11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,248   +220

Not fur higher resolutions, we still can see more. In terms of FPS, yeah will need upgrades.
  12. Internet infrastructure IS available in some places(I suspect 100mbps is enough for the new technologies), so I believe that these developments that actually use these speeds might push other areas to also upgrade their infrastructure, instead of the other way around you suggest.
    It's much easier to make the applications available before an infrastructure upgrade, instead of requiring an infrastructure upgrade before applications are even available.
  13. Jam_Man

Jam_Man TS Rookie

What download speed do you need?

In the UK we can get 40mb+ quite easily now and cable is up to 152mb.

Surely thats enough and whats the point in Youtube etc delaying setting their systems up so people with good bandwidth have to wait for other people to get upgraded before they enjoy it.
  14. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

Here in the UK the broadband pictures getting much better the majority can now get faster than 5 Meg. I live in rural Gloucestershire and from next month can get 70 down 20 up (estimated, they build the fibre box just round corner) on fttc. I dismiss the suggestion that the majority cannot get sufficient broadband to stream 1080 60 or hell even 4k
  15. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

You'd end up in a chicken-or-egg situation there. Does the infrastructure get upgraded to pave the way for better content delivery, or do you push the content to encourage infrastructure developments? Either way, people - such as yourself in this case - will bemoan whichever happens first.

I can comfortably stream 1080p, have been able to for years, so I'm really looking forward to checking out some vids at 60fps!
    davislane1 likes this.
  16. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 727   +230

This isn't going to be fun for Let's Players though, whom could possibly benefit most from this. Whilst 60fps sounds a lot nicer, the recording filesize will be nothing short of a nightmare.
  17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I'm not bemoaning anything, Truth be told I couldn't care less what comes next or about streaming videos at a million frames/sec, I was just posting my normal caustic comments.