YouTube and others roll out Vevo, premium music video website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Vevo, the online music video website powered by YouTube and major labels like Universal Music Group (UMG), has officially launched. The site currently contains 14,675 videos from 5,191 artists spread across more than 20 genres. Users are gradually taking to the site, with over 800 playlists already created.

YouTube and UMG first announced plans for Vevo in April, and the site has since gained other labels and partners including Sony Music Entertainment, EMI, AT&T, and Abu Dhabi Media Company, who contributed a reported $300 million to the project. CBS Interactive climbed aboard earlier this month, bringing with it Last.fm and more than 90 CBS Radio music stations, which should be available next year.

The collaborators envision Vevo as a premium music video hub, where users can create and share playlists and more. Instead of simply distributing music videos, Vevo intends to help "sell" artists with profile pages featuring interviews and other promotional content. You can login to the service here, and share your impressions in the comments.

Permalink to story.

The sign up page is giving me a "page not found" error. Maybe too many people signing up, overloading the system? :p

Yeah, I have seen reports around the Web that they are having launch troubles. Hopefully things are smoothed out soon.

:/ Internet WITHout borders.... but for some internets ends in North America I supose

Guest said:
some internets ends in North America I supose

Yes, and some other areas of the Internets end elsewhere.

• 25 out of 41 countries surveyed showed evidence of filtering;
  • Iran, China, and Saudi Arabia not only filter a wide range of topics, but also block a large amount of content related to those topics;
  • South Korea’s filtering efforts are very narrow in scope, but heavily censor one topic, North Korea;
  • Countries engaged in substantial politically-motivated filtering include: Burma, China, Iran, Syria, Tunisia, and Vietnam;
  • Saudi Arabia, Iran, Tunisia, and Yemen engage in substantial social content filtering;
  • Burma, China, Iran, Pakistan and South Korea have the most encompassing national security filtering, targeting the websites related to border disputes, separatists, and extremists;

Just wanted state that I was just able to create an account, so I guess things seem to be up and working.

hello ...

would be great to find such online services that's for international ....

i did find one who charged me 30US$ behind my back, for i didn't cancel a trial period & yet i didn't use the service for wasn't as good. I tried the pause & let buffer trick several times but still the video was jerky.

I can use Youtube, but i would really appreciate to have some other VOD services that has a player that allows buffering like on GT/Youtube & such.

well like you said, the net stops at NA & others well they just doesn't exist!

cheers!

I see the login is working today. You have the option of using another account to login, so I tried that and before I login my other account comes up with a warning stating that it can't verify the site and I shouldn't really trust it but if I wan to continue I can. I guess this is all part of growning pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back