TechSpot

YouTube loses German copyright case, could face huge royalty fees

By Leeky
Apr 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google's popular video site YouTube faces a potentially massive royalty bill after losing an ongoing legal battle in the German regional courts in Hamburg on Friday, which concluded that the...

Read the whole story

2. Ohh I can just imagine now $4.5million per song :D

3. kiklion

kiklion TS Rookie

is it $0.06 per stream that is later determined to be infringing copy right? Does this open their post system up to copy right cases if people were to mail burned discs? What about twitch.tv or justin.tv if the streamer has music in the background? Can GEMA sue email providers because people may be emailing tracks?

4. Google needs to hire Black Water or is it Xe or is it Black Water? To deal with the GEMA, and MPAA, RIAA, In addition to the other alphabet extortionist organizations. Maybe we the people need our own mercenaries militia's to protect us from these corporatocracies. Aww...to hell with it. I'll just comfort myself by tweeting and walking around with my facebook mirror all day. A little narcissism never killed anyone.

5. If Google pays, Youtube will probably back out of Germany, which would be a huge loss to the people.

6. They should just block Germany from YouTube completely.

7. I foresee us losing youtube here in Germany fairly soon. I highly doubt Google is going to pay the astronomical fee's that this ruling will bring to them. Everyone get your VPN/Proxies ready, going to need them.

8. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 567   +105

You Tube should just give them David Hasslehoff and be done with it.

9. yes, dont offer youtube in germany. I would pull the plug as soon as possible and also block parent company and force all germans to search with Bing, hardball usually goes both ways. SUX for German internet users these days!!!!!

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That would actually be pretty funny.

"Dear Germany. Your government does not want us here. Bye. Google.
    P.S. www.bing.com"

11. WaveZero

WaveZero TS Rookie Posts: 41

Anyone smelling a bit of corruption? rofl

12. "wasn't doing enough to prevent users uploading material of a copyrighted nature."

pfft.. I upload a video with a 20-year-old song from Monster Magnet, and it gets blocked in Germany due to copyright claims. How much more can Youtube do than block content automatically when it is uploaded...? :S

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.