TechSpot

YouTube passes 1 billion subscription milestone

By Emil
Oct 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube not only gets 2 billion video views per day as one of the biggest video sites in the world, but now it has announced that it crossed the 1 billion subscription mark. In other words, YouTube is now sending more than 1 billion notification e-mails every week. The yellow subscribe button made its debut in 2006.

Read the whole story

2. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

2 billion video views per day that is amazing.

3. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

Yep, it passed that milestone in May 2010.

4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

It's a lot of crazy Justin Bieber fans I'm sure.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

Mind boggling numbers. But is YouTube still a losing venture? It was my understanding they hadn't made a penny on it.

6. UT66

UT66 TS Rookie Posts: 144

and that explains why youtube has been so slow lately

7. mpribe

mpribe TS Rookie Posts: 29

All thanks to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

8. buttus

buttus TS Enthusiast Posts: 187

Jesus. 1 BILLION. I remember when Google purchased YouTube and all the nay sayers decreed that it was too expensive and would never ever catch on.

Wow. Can Google do no wrong?

9. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I love how the video uses Happy Tree Friends. For those of you who have never seen them, you should go do that right now. So disturbing, but so funny.

10. frodough

frodough TS Rookie Posts: 90

what if they charge $.99 per month, or $9.99 per yr. im sure everyone would still game. but i guess google made more than enough from ads anyway.

11. IkarugaShiver

IkarugaShiver TS Rookie Posts: 19

15 channels have over a million subscribers...
    DAYUMM. Wonder how much money, if any, those channels get from sponsorships or whatnot...

12. Afenix

Afenix TS Rookie Posts: 51

So that's what the whole fuss is about today.
    Congratulations youtube!
    BTW - remove those irritating adds.

13. Yosip

Yosip TS Rookie Posts: 16

Use AdBlock

14. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Those irritating ads are what keep youtube free...so it's either that or you can pay for youtube, which would suck for the people that barely use it but need to watch videos that are only on youtube.

15. hassaan

hassaan TS Rookie Posts: 90

Even though its a feet but is Google actually earning or is it a matter of prestige?

16. kazarm

kazarm TS Rookie Posts: 29

I find it incredible that the internet is still working with all these videos being wieved every day.

17. jazboy

jazboy TS Rookie Posts: 112

2 billion videos and 1 billion subscription. That is amazing. The founder of youtube wouldn't have imagined it when he created youtube site to share videos..

18. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Founders. It was created by 3 former paypal employees.

19. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

Looks like the other 5 billion have better things to do that watch clips all day, haha. I hope the rumors regarding them charging for membership isn't true. I doubt it would happen though, others would just flock to another video provider.

20. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 135

Congratulations YouTube! That is amazing. The downside of it is that there are people excluding me, that subscribe to a channel and than leave it and don't watch other videos from that channel.

21. lyladeeasperin

lyladeeasperin TS Rookie

Youtube.com, I salute to you guys! I would like to thank this website for helping my fellow man Charice Pempengco who is now a recognized International Youtube sensation!

22. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,073   +100

The best website to pass time on the internet (for me). And i saw the video yesterday. Funny as hell.

23. killamoves

killamoves TS Rookie Posts: 18

So I'm guessing it's bad that I'm not one of those 2 billion views a day.

24. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

Wow that is crazy! I can't believe they have 2 billion views every day. I never understood why Google has Google videos as well as YouTube! Hats off to them though, they have done a great job!

25. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

Youtube is getting very popular, and sometimes also very annoying.

A lot of posts on forums are starting these days with statements like "I saw [something] on youtube and wanted to know if its really possible" or "[Hardware Name] is very good, I saw a youtube video of someone playing [really demanding game] with it with great frame rates". To me, it seems as if for some people, if its on youtube, then its right/possible/correct etc.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.