YouTube passes 1 billion subscription milestone

Emil

Staff

YouTube not only gets 2 billion video views per day as one of the biggest video sites in the world, but now it has announced that it crossed the 1 billion subscription mark. In other words, YouTube is now sending more than 1 billion notification e-mails every week. The yellow subscribe button made its debut in 2006.

YouTube subscriptions allow users to follow users and/or channels so that they can always stay updated on new videos from them. 15 channels have more than one million subscribers: fred, nigahiga, kassemg, shanedawsonTV, shanedawsonTV2, smosh, universalmusicgroup, machinima, sxephil, mysteryguitarman, davedays, kevjumba, realannoyingorange, raywilliamjohnson, collegehumor and failblog.

To commemorate the milestone, YouTube has announced a new subscription widget that video makers can embed in their website. This widget allows users to subscribe to YouTube videos without having to visit the YouTube website. The embed code is an iframe and needs to be pasted into the source code of HTML code, in the same way you would embed a YouTube video.

Permalink to story.

Mind boggling numbers. But is YouTube still a losing venture? It was my understanding they hadn't made a penny on it.

Jesus. 1 BILLION. I remember when Google purchased YouTube and all the nay sayers decreed that it was too expensive and would never ever catch on.

Wow. Can Google do no wrong?

I love how the video uses Happy Tree Friends. For those of you who have never seen them, you should go do that right now. So disturbing, but so funny.

what if they charge $.99 per month, or $9.99 per yr. im sure everyone would still game. but i guess google made more than enough from ads anyway.

15 channels have over a million subscribers...
DAYUMM. Wonder how much money, if any, those channels get from sponsorships or whatnot...

So that's what the whole fuss is about today.
Congratulations youtube!
BTW - remove those irritating adds.

Afenix said:
BTW - remove those irritating adds.

Those irritating ads are what keep youtube free...so it's either that or you can pay for youtube, which would suck for the people that barely use it but need to watch videos that are only on youtube.

I find it incredible that the internet is still working with all these videos being wieved every day.

2 billion videos and 1 billion subscription. That is amazing. The founder of youtube wouldn't have imagined it when he created youtube site to share videos..

jazboy said:
2 billion videos and 1 billion subscription. That is amazing. The founder of youtube wouldn't have imagined it when he created youtube site to share videos..

Founders. It was created by 3 former paypal employees.

Looks like the other 5 billion have better things to do that watch clips all day, haha. I hope the rumors regarding them charging for membership isn't true. I doubt it would happen though, others would just flock to another video provider.

Congratulations YouTube! That is amazing. The downside of it is that there are people excluding me, that subscribe to a channel and than leave it and don't watch other videos from that channel.

Youtube.com, I salute to you guys! I would like to thank this website for helping my fellow man Charice Pempengco who is now a recognized International Youtube sensation!

Wow that is crazy! I can't believe they have 2 billion views every day. I never understood why Google has Google videos as well as YouTube! Hats off to them though, they have done a great job!

Youtube is getting very popular, and sometimes also very annoying.

A lot of posts on forums are starting these days with statements like "I saw [something] on youtube and wanted to know if its really possible" or "[Hardware Name] is very good, I saw a youtube video of someone playing [really demanding game] with it with great frame rates". To me, it seems as if for some people, if its on youtube, then its right/possible/correct etc.

Back