TechSpot

YouTube protected by DMCA in Viacom lawsuit, judge rules

By Rick
Apr 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A federal judge has ruled in favor of YouTube once more, shooting down claims made by Viacom that the Google-owned video service infringes on its intellectual property. Judge Stanton agreed with Google that it was protected under the "Safe Harbor"...

Read more

2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Yay., now I can upload south park clips again :D

Seemed like I would get warned while uploading the video all those years ago xD

hammer2085 likes this.
  3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 185   +39

So, how far has the anti-piracy filter come? Is this quantifiable in any way? If stuff that gets uploaded that ought not, YouTube yanks it on notice if the filter fails. Sounds like it works to me.

Personal rule, I won't upload content I do not originate to anyone, anytime, anywhere. Why would I steal it for others? However, I will sample content if it is available from any legitimate source. I use Crackle, Hulu, Internet Archive and YouTube. I understand that Viacom and others do not want to feel they are being cheated, but honestly, YouTube is my least favorite source. I do not see why Viacom / NBC/ etc are upset about the glitchy, grainy copies which may be available. If I like anything I find on YouTube then I rent it, borrow it from the library, or buy a used copy (Amazon and Ebay). It is worth noting that, being rather underemployed, I would never buy at full retail. Nope, never. Why? Because is way overpriced. Of course, your consumption habits may vary.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.