YouTube to launch paid channel subscriptions later this year

By Jos
Jan 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A handful of popular content producers on YouTube could start charging for channel subscriptions this spring, according to a report on AdAge. The move is intended to lure eyeballs and advertiser dollars away from traditional TV and would kick off...

Read more
  2. Alvaro

Alvaro Newcomer, in training Posts: 41   +8

Not interested. I will unsub from anything that charges even a dime.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

Same here. Unless it's NBA games, I will gladly pay if they let me stream it on my phone.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

I'd pay for good quality NCAA basketball games. ESPN's offerings were good several years ago, now any high caliber game is blacked out on espn3. I end up finding the games on firstrow or vipbox and usually the quality is pretty good, but I always wade into those sides with noscript and adblock and make educated guesses on which scripts to allow in noscript. Simply because I don't really trust those sites, and going in unprotected seems risky, not to mention dealing with popups.

Even if they did start offering games, I'm sure they would charge something like $5.99 when all I'd be willing to pay is $1. Charge more than $1 and I'll just continue to watch them on firstrow and vipbox.
  5. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 282   +28

The most popular channels on YouTube make a ton of money from AdSense as is. I would probably unsubscribe to any channel that charges money.
  6. Twixtea

Twixtea Newcomer, in training Posts: 87

Not gonna pay sorry :(
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 939   +82

Content locked behind a dollar figure is content that I don't really need. I can find entertainment elsewhere.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.