YouTube to launch paid channel subscriptions later this year

By Jos
Jan 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A handful of popular content producers on YouTube could start charging for channel subscriptions this spring, according to a report on AdAge. The move is intended to lure eyeballs and advertiser dollars away from traditional TV and would kick off...

Read more
  2. Alvaro

Alvaro TS Rookie Posts: 41   +8

Not interested. I will unsub from anything that charges even a dime.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

Same here. Unless it's NBA games, I will gladly pay if they let me stream it on my phone.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I'd pay for good quality NCAA basketball games. ESPN's offerings were good several years ago, now any high caliber game is blacked out on espn3. I end up finding the games on firstrow or vipbox and usually the quality is pretty good, but I always wade into those sides with noscript and adblock and make educated guesses on which scripts to allow in noscript. Simply because I don't really trust those sites, and going in unprotected seems risky, not to mention dealing with popups.

Even if they did start offering games, I'm sure they would charge something like $5.99 when all I'd be willing to pay is $1. Charge more than $1 and I'll just continue to watch them on firstrow and vipbox.
  5. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

The most popular channels on YouTube make a ton of money from AdSense as is. I would probably unsubscribe to any channel that charges money.
  6. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 86

Not gonna pay sorry :(
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Content locked behind a dollar figure is content that I don't really need. I can find entertainment elsewhere.