YouTube to turn lucrative soon?

By Matthew
Aug 25, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In 2006, Google paid a handsome $1.65 billion for video sharing site YouTube. Now three years later, the company has yet to turn a profit from its acquisition - but that may change soon. The search giant is looking at YouTube's not-so-distant future and it sees a lucrative business, according to CFO Patrick Pichette.

Read the whole story
  2. JDoors

JDoors Newcomer, in training Posts: 62

I think they need to spend some of that Hollywood money on site design and video presentation, otherwise, Hulu's gonna have 'em for lunch.
  3. Twister123

Twister123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 219

hulu only stream's within the u.s, youtube can get the rest of the market if the do things right , like eliminate breaking a movie into 20 ten minute bits , that's really annoying .
  4. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

IMHO, I don't think those two analysts know what they're saying... Google can, and probably will, make a special pay-per-view channel, or something of the sorts, where they'll add various Hollywood movies.
    Given it's immense popularity, I think profits might actually give YouTube a very high return rate for Google and then bringing hefty amounts of cash.
    Though Hulu is relatively popular, YouTube is worldwide popular and besides that, I doubt Hulu has Google's deep pockets to discuss a long-term relationship with the major studios. ;)
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 9,999   +710

That said, Hulu already does have an inside track with many large studios.
  6. JDoors

JDoors Newcomer, in training Posts: 62

We'll see what Google can do with YouTube. As it stands, I'll suffer watching YouTube videos only because it has such an extensive base of random content, but when I want to watch something IN PARTICULAR, I use Hulu.
    As for international reach, YouTube MIGHT have enough money to purchase international rights for Hollywood content, but it's not yet clear if that will be their model.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.