YouTube TV, Google's over-the-top streaming TV service, launches in five markets

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube TV, the live streaming television service announced by Google in late February, is now available. The over-the-top service (OTT) offers access to the four major broadcast networks – ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox – as well as several other popular cable networks including ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, FS1, FS2, FX, USA, Syfy and E, just to name a few.

As of writing, there are nearly 40 channels on offer as part of the core package. Users can also add Showtime for an additional $11 per month and Fox Soccer Plus for $15 a month.

YouTube TV offers unlimited cloud DVR storage so you can record all of your shows simultaneously. What’s more, a subscription comes with six accounts that you can share with family, roommates or anyone else in the household. Each user gets their own login and personal DVR library.

YouTube TV is available today in five major markets: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York City. It’ll be coming to other regions in due time although YouTube hasn’t provided a timeline for a nationwide rollout.

Pricing is set at $35 per month but you can try it out for one month on the house. If you decide to keep it, Google will also throw in a free Chromecast after your first monthly payment. As with similar OTT offerings, there are no cancellation fees or commitments.

Permalink to story.

O.O

This is significantly better than anything else out there. How Youtube got all four major OTA channels is pretty outstanding.

The value is outstanding: 6 users for $35. Plus a free chromecast as a freebie.

If I lived in one of these markets I'd sign up immediately. This is going to put a lot of pressure on Sling and Playstation Vue.

O.O

This is significantly better than anything else out there. How Youtube got all four major OTA channels is pretty outstanding.

The value is outstanding: 6 users for $35. Plus a free chromecast as a freebie.

If I lived in one of these markets I'd sign up immediately. This is going to put a lot of pressure on Sling and Playstation Vue.

Because alphabet is a huge company that deals pretty strictly in advertising, they could prob make better promises than others.

6 accounts but only 3 simultaneous streams. A very minor catch, but worth knowing..

"five major markets: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York City"

Is this Google-speak or Techspot-speak? Since when do we use the term 'market' to refer to an individual city? And how can a city be considered a 'major market' compared to normal use of the term that refers to entire nations?

Switching will be a no brainier in my own market, Charter (Spectrum) has simply become horrible without signing up for several services. They have removed a number of the better channels in order to try to drive people up to the bigger and more expensive packages, give terrible support in identifying which channels are part of which services, and now they add a dollar or two to every bill. No doubt they will promise the moon once people start leaving them, but it will all be too little too late.

"five major markets: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York City"

Is this Google-speak or Techspot-speak? Since when do we use the term 'market' to refer to an individual city? And how can a city be considered a 'major market' compared to normal use of the term that refers to entire nations?
The U.S. is broken into many "Major Markets". Those cities don't contain all of the market, but are the core of the market.

This is a great price for content! With all four biggies, the smaller ones I care about (FX, USA and SyFy) along with sports channels? It would be a no brainer if offered near me.

The U.S. is broken into many "Major Markets". Those cities don't contain all of the market, but are the core of the market.
Here are the Top 50 Media Markets in the U.S. :
http://www.janson.com/rights/top-50-u-s-markets/

I guess I will point my VPN to one of those markets and give it a try :)

I'm really interested in if that will work. They won't even let me sign up (I'm in upstate NY -- about a 6 hour drive from NYC). I would have gladly taken some blackouts.

Back