YouTuber fought back against Nintendo DMCA notice and won

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
A hot potato: Nintendo is so hawkish about its IPs that whenever we report on someone doing something cool with, let's say, Mario Bros, we almost always include an obligatory, "Let's see how long Nintendo lawyers allow this to remain online" sidenote. Most of the time, it doesn't take long, and that's the end of it, but not this time.

Last October, video-gaming history channel DidYouKnowGaming (DYKG) posted a 20-minute documentary on a formerly unknown and unpublished Nintendo DS game, Heroes of Hyrule. As the name connotes, it was a Zelda spinoff planned for Nintendo's popular portable. The video remained on YouTube for nearly 90 days before DYKG received a copyright warning and automatically removed it from public view on December 28.

Channel operator Shane Gill said the copyright strike accused him of using "unauthorized material" in his video. One can assume it was referring to the 22-page pitch document that DYKG obtained legally from former Retro employees. Gill maintains that he used the material for journalistic purposes and adhered to the Fair Use Doctrine. So he filed a counterclaim with YouTube saying as much.

Gill claims that Nintendo tried scrubbing the video because it didn't like what his research uncovered. However, in Nintendo's defense, the content is close to 90-percent copyrighted material, including entire pages of text from the pitch document. It's not an open-and-shut fair use case. However, the tone and purpose of the mini documentary is clearly for archiving history, so it's not cut-and-dry in Nintendo's favor either.

In any case, per its copyright policy, YouTube automatically reinstates a video if the content creator files a counterclaim and the rights holder does not bring a lawsuit within 10 working days. So Gill held his breath for two weeks waiting to get served. Nintendo took no further action, so the video is now back online.

Even though Gill never received a summons or other notice from Nintendo, that does not leave him in the clear. The company's legal team can still take action against the content since the statute of limitations on copyright claims is three years. So we could hear from Nintendo again on this matter sometime down the road.

In the meantime, you should watch DYKG's video (above) while it remains online. It's a well-done piece for those interested in retro gaming or Nintendo history. For those who would rather have the TL;DR version, keep reading.

Metroid Prime developer Retro Studios pitched Heroes of Hyrule in 2004, the same year the Nintendo DS made its debut. Retro intended it to be a strategy game similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. The team sent the pitch to Nintendo Software Planning and Development, which flatly rejected the idea. The SPD heads didn't even give them a reason for not going forward.

"We sent it over to SPD and got an immediate 'no, you're not doing that.' To this day, I do not know why," former Retro game designer Paul Tozour told DYKG in an interview. "They just didn't seem to have any interest in that gameplay concept, which is too bad. It was a really solid concept and had the potential to be something great."

Image credit: BCC Hardware

Permalink to story.

I'm glad DonkeY KonG (DYKG) is fighting back against Nintendo's legal department, someone needs to!
Agreed. Even though Nintendo is likely to strike him again, and he'll likely concede, I think more content creators need just to make Nintendo jump through its hoops on principle. They don't have to necessarily take it all the way to court (although that would help if they have a solid case and the money to fight it), but at least make Nintendo legal file the paperwork and waste their time on the many instances it's just throwing its weight around.

But heck. I don't know. Everything is always simplier when you are on the sidelines watching.

Not that there's been a Nintendo game that I've had interest in for a very very long time now, I wouldnt go so far as to say they're a "has been" company.

They move quite a lot of hardware and accompanying software.
They were always like this when it comes to copyright et al. Most youtubers don't review ANYTHING Nintendo specifically because of this. It's a minefield and they're always a pain to deal with.

"However, in Nintendo's defense, the content is close to 90-percent copyrighted material, including entire pages of text from the pitch document. It's not an open-and-shut fair use case. "

I would like to point out to the author that "the percentage of copyrighted material" is not what determines fair use, and this has been argued to death in the courts repeatedly. What determines if something is fair use is if something is transformative work, and a documentary immediately falls into that category, as it is providing commentary on a work.

This is pretty open and shut in favor of DYKG. Lets not spread some baseless rumor that there's a "percentage" that determines fair use.

*cough* Switch best-selling console of 2022

In year to date dollar sales the PS5 is the winner, technically the Switch wins in total unit sales, though. However, it is worth pointing out that for both November and December PS5 sold the most units.

All of this though doesn't make the Switch any less of a scam console that people are falling for hook, line, and sinker. Nintendo is a has been company. They are a shadow of their former selves, and their sole goal is fleecing their customers. Problem is, they know that at least half the population has a two-digit IQ, so they get away with it all.

For games that look like they came from the 90's
My Samsung S21FE is a better choice to play on than that crap
This seems to be the only way a hasbeen company like nintendo can keep its name people's minds
It's sorta funny hearing such a take--. You probs. have absolutely no clue of how the industry works, do you?
Anyway,
"Has been company" - yeah.. no. Making billions of dollars a year, relising best seller games after other bestselling games and having IP'S with an amount of brand recognition so big that it makes other companies crap on their pants.. Well, need I say more. But honestly though, what even is your criteria? Are Bethesda or Tencent, for example, failed companies for not making even close to the amount of Microsoft, Sony, and yes, Nintendo?

In year to date dollar sales the PS5 is the winner, technically the Switch wins in total unit sales, though. However, it is worth pointing out that for both November and December PS5 sold the most units.

All of this though doesn't make the Switch any less of a scam console that people are falling for hook, line, and sinker. Nintendo is a has been company. They are a shadow of their former selves, and their sole goal is fleecing their customers. Problem is, they know that at least half the population has a two-digit IQ, so they get away with it all.
How on Earth is it a "scam"? It provides what customers want (game play and portability). Nintendo hasn't had a console that was leading the pack in hardware power since, what? The SNES? Pretty graphics do not automatically make a game good (not that there aren't beautiful games that ARE good) and I think that's where that two-digit IQ comes in.

Copyright abuse is one of the most annoying things. I'm glad he fought back against copyright fraud and abuse. I used to have beef with a person named Latin autor perf who fraudulently claimed Minecraft music in my video's. When the soundtrack was made by c418

How times have changed.
I remember when a hacker blackmailed HP by crashing their servers. A month later the hacker went skiing and broke his neck. Very far from the ski track. HP servers didn't crash anymore.

Back