Zalman STG1 application on the GPU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

Hey All,

I'm about to install a heatsink on a GPU for the first time, never actually done it with the CPU either, and i have a question. I'll be installing a TT DuOrb on my 8800GTS 512 and i'll be using the Zalman STG1 thermal compund due to ease with which it can be applied. I already took the card apart, cleaned the GPU itself as well as the RAM chips using Arctic Clean 1 & 2, installed the RAM and VRM sinks and now want to install the Orb itself.

Now i'd like to know if i need to apply the STG1 grease to both the GPU and heatsink or only to the GPU? From what i've read on the web only the GPU needs the grease, however according to Zalman it needs to be applied to both:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=221

Can someone clear this up for me? Anyone here used STG1 on a GPU?

For a CPU/GPU putting the recommended amount on the centre of the CPU/GPU will ensure that it is spread out evenly and is in the correct place, if you were to apply it to the heat sink first you could end up missing the centre of the CPU/GPU and just end up with thermal paste/grease everywhere. For this I would go for the instructions, just use half of what you would normally use for each GPU and heat sink. It really doesn't matter to much about what you put the grease on, so long as there isn't to much of it and its not leaking over the sides and that it isn't off centre and only spreading the heat from like the corner of the GPU.

Thanx for your reply. The situation with the Zalman grease is a little different than with others because it comes with a brush and one must apply a very thin layer on the whole of the GPU/CPU as showm in this review here:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/zalmanthermalgrease/index3.php

Over there they say they applied it to HSF as well, but from what you are saying appying it to the GPU should be sufficent as long is it's not too much. Anyone here wants to share their experience with this grease?

Just a general note on thermal greases: As long as you cover the whole GPU, less is better.

"Zalman STG1 application" You might want to go by there spec. you don't want to void any Mfg. warranties now.. Like my shirt has written across the front! I am not familiar with there thermal compound, but I would think a thin app on both would be fine; they are trying to avoid any air pockets. I have been using a plastic scraper to apply the thermal compound on both CPU & GPU. It does insure good coverage and will remove the excess at the same time. I have been using Artic Silver, mostly because I know it works Very well and also that is what I have in my tool bag. Hope this has been of some help… nicholas_t

Zalman STG1

"Zalman STG1 application" You might want to go by there spec. you don't want to void any Mfg. warranties now.. Like my shirt has written across the front! I am not familiar with there thermal compound, but I would think a thin app on both would be fine; they are trying to avoid any air pockets. I have been using a plastic scraper to apply the thermal compound on both CPU & GPU. It does insure good coverage and will remove the excess at the same time. I have been using Artic Silver, mostly because I know it works Very well and also that is what I have in my tool bag. Hope this has been of some help… nicholas_t

good point about avoiding air pockets, i think im going to try to do it by the book just like you suggested and as described in the Zalman instructions and in the review i posted above.I'll see how that works out. as far as manufacturers warranty, well, i think i already lost that by tampering with the video card and taking off the stock cooler, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back