TechSpot

Zero Day Exploit

By TBolt
Dec 10, 2008
  1. Greetings folks,
    This thread is not a report of any of my PC's being infected by the current 0-day exploit/threat but more of some needed clarifications of suggested mitigation options.

Reference: http://www.techspot.com/news/32823-zeroday-exploits-revealed-following-patch-tuesday.html

Doing some quick research, it seems the best workaround (until MS provides a security update) is to enable DEP. However, if I remember right, DEP came as part of Xp's SP2 (and I'm assuming SP3) but it had four options:

"OptIn" which I believe is the default setting
    "OptOut"
    "AlwaysOn" and
    "AlwaysOff"

Just by the sound of it, "AlwaysOff" probably is not the option to choose as a workaround. That being said, of the remaining three which is the best to use while still having full functionality of a particular system and/or websurfing? Also, what exactly would that zero day exploit do if one were to be infected?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.