ZIFF Socket?

By magaman598
Jun 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Friend Told me to Check my Ziff Socket on my MoBo.

He also said that the ZIFF Socket is where the Processer is Insterted into your Computer.

Would anyone Mind Helping me get to the ZIFF Socket?
  2. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

The ZIF socket (Zero Insertion Force) is where the processor slots into the motherboard. Why do you need to check it, is your computer not working?

Edit: Found your system specs, I think its probably a Socket 939, the above question on why you want to check it remains though.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

the ZIF socket (if you have one) has a lever that allows you to remove or install a CPU easily without tugging and prying your CPU out of a regular socket. ZERO INSERTION FORCE socket.
  4. magaman598

magaman598 TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 275

Ohhh........ I heard that you Could Remove a certain Part of it to see if there are any Pins stuck Inside.

If there is, could you Tell me how to do that?

and it's a Socket 754.
  5. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

I don't think you can take the ZIF socket apart, even if you did, you risk damaging the motherboard and the socket. If this is related to your post in another thread that I just tried, put the old processor back in.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

the socket itself is soldered to the mobo. It allows easy installation and removal of CPUs.

With a stuck pin - highly unlikely with a ZIF (but it could happen), you need some tweezers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.