Zotac intros HTPC AMD motherboards with USB, SATA 3.0

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Zotac isn't a newcomer to the compact computing scene having released various nettops, HTPCs and related hardware. Today, the company has added two more products to its portfolio: the M880G-ITX WiFi and 880G-ITX WiFi. Both are ITX motherboards based on AMD chips with similar features overall, but each utilizes a different CPU technology.

The M880G ships with a dual-core 1.5GHz AMD Turion II Neo K625 (designed for notebooks), while the 880G comes with an empty AM3 socket that supports Phenom II, Athlon II, and Sempron desktop processors with up to a 95W TDP. As the product names indicate, the boards use AMD's 880G chipset, which sports Radeon 4200 series integrated graphics.

Both also feature two DDR3 DIMM slots with support for up to 8GB of RAM, as well as one PCIe x1 slot, HDMI and DVI outputs, 802.11n wireless, gigabit Ethernet, six USB 2.0 ports (two via headers), two USB 3.0 ports, and S/PDIF-out. The Turion-based board has six SATA 6Gb/s ports, while the AM3 model has four. No word on pricing or availability yet.

Permalink to story.

I've had good luck with Zotac products. Haven't used a MB from them before though. I wish they would offer a full size ATX utilizing AMD chipsets.

I'm typing on a system that uses Zotac's first LGA775/Geforce9300 itx motherboard. Besides only having two on board SATA slots, it has been a dream for me. That open AM3 board looks interesting though. 'Bout time they gave AMD some love, though honestly I'm waiting to see how Sandy Bridge turns out and I eagerly await reviews on ASUS's new itx board that is to go with it.

edit: Though, having only a PCIe x1 slot is rather limiting. My RAID card is a x4 card, and it also means you can't really put a higher end card in there (though they DO make x1 cards. Having a x16 slot on itx was one of the simple beauties of a lot of Zotac's Intel itx boards.

These are very interesting motherboards for HTPC... That x1 slot can be populated either with high quality sound card or TV tuner...

Back