TechSpot

Zotac ships palm-sized Zbox Nano XS AD11 with Brazos, SSD

By Matthew
Apr 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Zotac has announced an updated mini-PC that further shrinks last year's Zbox Nano AD10 while packing slightly more horsepower. The new Zbox Nano XS AD11 measures a diminutive 4.17 x…

Read the whole story

2. "The Zbox Nano XS AD11 should hit shelves shortly for approximately $360,..."

Do you know what happen to my :) face when I reach that?

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,341   +280

Do want! Do want! I'm gonna scoop one of these up as soon as they show up on Newegg.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

can make one for like 300...

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 921   +22

No os and $360? My brother just bought a new hp laptop for $300.

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Just put Linux on it. It`s free and does pretty much everything any other $300ish computer can do. done.

7. abysal

abysal TS Member Posts: 68   +10

That's too expensive. I'll go with raspberry pi instead for ultra tiny form factor.

8. Can get laptops cheaper than that now, much more powerful.

Better off with the RaspberryPi

9. TadMSTR

TadMSTR TS Rookie Posts: 17

I bought the ZBOX HD-AD02 about a year ago and it has been great as a HTPC. I just picked up the ZBOX Nano AD10 from Newegg on sale. A day later this starts making its way around the tech sites. I'll probably pick one up eventually.

While the Raspberry Pi makes for a great HTPC, its more of an appliance. The ZBOX series is a fully capable computer. Spec wise, its also much more powerful. I'll still be picking up a Raspberry Pi once ordering is open again though.

For those comparing this to a laptop you need to consider the AMD E-450 SoC. I bought an HP netbook with a E-450 and after the holiday discount and a promo code it cost ~$400. The cheapest laptop I see listed on Newegg running an E-450 is going for $350. Also consider the form factor. This is much smaller than a laptop or netbook.

10. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

I agree with TadMSTR. Why would you even compare this to a laptop, though?

What $300 laptop has an SSD and an e-450? Also consider the size, connectivity (gbit ethernet, usb3) and convenience (VESA, IR remote).

11. LNCPapa

You can't please everyone. This device meets all the needs I have for an HTPC (SSD in case I ever have to reboot it will feel like an applicance, HDMI, Toslink, Gb networking, IR, a video solution that provides perfect playback of video, and a very small formfactor) and the added elegance of packaging is a bonus. To get something like this built will cost me at least $300 in parts so I'd be willing to pay a little more for a more polished and manufactured feel.

12. LNCPapa

13. I bought this device. I'm currently tooling abut with using it for XBMC in Ubuntu (I'll probably give OpenElec a try at some point). So, all my points are for this device in context as an HTPC, and in particular working with XBMC, mostly in Linux.
    This thing can indeed play all the way up to 1080p video from blu-ray ISO perfectly smooth, so long as you do a little work to make sure its using 3D acceleration. In Linux it supports non-TrueHD surround sound from the HDMI. Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master audio aren't working yet in Linux, due to a driver issue they're working out with ATI/AMD.
    They work in Windows, but in Windows I've found it doesn't boot to XBMC nearly as cleanly. Also you have to load drivers for USB3 (which Linux can use out of the box), and samba fileshare browsing speeds on Windows 7 were abysmal, compared to nfs on Linux.

The remote works in Windows once you load the drivers from it (which yes, you have to load the driver installs from CD or elsewhere to a USB for Windows, unless you have a USB CD drive).
    I'm working out how to get it to work in Linux.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.