Zotac releases 4th-generation backpack PC for mobile VR

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Most people have likely forgotten about PC makers' attempts to deliver high-end mobile VR in backpacks, but Zotac never gave up on the idea. The recent launch of the fourth-generation VR Go system suggests the product has at least found a viable niche.

Zotac's VR Go 4.0 backpack PC, which the company initially revealed at Computex last year, is now available in some markets. Although pricing and availability details haven't appeared in the US yet, UK sellers currently offer (link possibly blocked for non-EU IP addresses) one of two SKUs for £3,699, equivalent to about $4,688, headset not included.

The only difference between the new models is the GPU. The prior VR Go 3.0 used an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, but both VR Go 4.0 SKUs switched to professional Ampere cards – the A2000 and A4500 – signifying a pivot from gamers toward developers and other enterprise customers.

Additionally, the CPU, storage, and connectivity received significant upgrades compared to the last generation. Zotac's new product comes with Windows 11 Pro, runs on an Intel Core i7-11800H, includes a 512GB NVMe SSD (the company doesn't say which PCIe generation), and features additional USB 3.0 ports. Users can add extra SATA-based storage and expand the DDR4 memory from the default 16GB to 32GB.

The hardware is fairly high-end by most standards, especially for a mobile system, so users shouldn't expect extremely long battery life. Unsurprisingly, the two included batteries only provide about 50 minutes of gameplay, but they are hot-swappable and upgradeable. Furthermore, like other backpack PCs, the device can be detached from the straps and used on a desk like a conventional micro desktop tower.

Zotac, along with other companies like HP and MSI, started launching backpack PCs for mobile VR gaming in the mid-2010s during the initial boom in interest for VR and AR. Their high prices on top of the centerpiece headsets kept them from mass adoption, but Zotac's VR Go series may have found a sustainable professional user base.

Moreover, the fundamental idea isn't too dissimilar from the experience Apple is trying to provide with its upcoming Vision Pro. The Cupertino Giant's so-called "Spatial Computer," however, will be more compact hardware emphasizing AR over VR. That said, it will still cost thousands of dollars and require an external battery strapped to the user, possibly presenting the same obstacles the earlier backpack PCs faced unless Apple's brand name and software ecosystem make the difference.

Permalink to story.

So.... frigging... sad...
Would a developer buy this instead of scraping together a more powerful rtx 4090 with 7950X3D 64 gig of ram in an itx chase and placing into a backpack at a fraction of the cost via diy? Can easily shave off $1000 with current pricing.. The A6000 unfortunately is going for around $4500 alone.

Last edited:
I suppose Zotac (don't get me wrong, I've owned several Zotac GPUs over the years which I thought were great) thinks people are going to buy these to play Pokemon Go? 🤣

I'd rather run a wireless setup to the headset. That GPU is pathetic for anything beyond Gen 1.5 headsets.

Unless you intend to plug that tower into a portable generator that you also need to put in your backpack, I'm not sure how that would work... towers don't have batteries...

What I don't understand is why you can't just get a decent laptop and... wait for it... PUT IT IN A BACKPACK!!

Looking at the size and vidoes I watched from the provided link, I figure the entire contraption probably weighs 20ish pounds (not sure why the weight isn't included in the "specifications" section)... that's far heavier than even Alienware's crazy 18" monster - and the Alienware is both cheaper and faster!
Yep you are correct, luckily the mobile 4090 laptops with an i9 and 64 gigs of ram ar cheaper too
update unfortunately this one is limited to 16 gig of vram.

$3999 to be exact.

Unless you intend to plug that tower into a portable generator that you also need to put in your backpack, I'm not sure how that would work... towers don't have batteries...

What I don't understand is why you can't just get a decent laptop and... wait for it... PUT IT IN A BACKPACK!!

Looking at the size and vidoes I watched from the provided link, I figure the entire contraption probably weighs 20ish pounds (not sure why the weight isn't included in the "specifications" section)... that's far heavier than even Alienware's crazy 18" monster - and the Alienware is both cheaper and faster!
Other than cooling challenges and running on battery, that would be a solution. I'd really like one of these but I can't spend that much money on a portable VR gaming rig.

50 minutes is barely enough. Which once again proves that PC's should not be positioned as portable devices.
One thing that comes to mind is why they did not make this device in a laptop factor with mobile CPU and GPU?
Surely, they could use upper tier components and this device would be lighter and last much longer.

I can't picture a use case where a developer wants to carry a computer on their back while working.

Back