Zuckerberg and Chan launch $3 billion initiative to cure all diseases

midian182

Staff member

For most people, becoming the fifth richest person in the world and the head of a social network with almost 2 billion monthly active users would be enough of an achievement. But not if you’re Mark Zuckerberg. The Facebook boss and his wife, Priscilla Chan, have announced a $3 billion project that aims to cure and manage all human diseases “in our children’s lifetime.”

The couple will invest the large sum into bio-medical research across the next decade through the philanthropic organization the pair founded last December, called The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI).

"Mark and I believe that this is possible within our children’s lifetime. We are partnering with scientists, doctors, and engineers to help us achieve this goal […] We’ll be investing more than $3 billion to achieve our collective vision," Priscilla Chan said at the project’s launch in San Francisco.

Zuckerberg said the initiative’s plan is to bring scientists and engineers together, build the tools and technology needed, and to grow the movement to fund science.

The first part of the investment will see $600 million go into “Biohub,” an independent research facility located in San Francisco’s Mission Bay and built in collaboration with the University of California, Stanford, and Berkeley.

“Medicine has only been a modern science for about a century, and we’ve made incredible progress so far. Life expectancy has increased by 1/4 of a year per year since then, and if we only continue this trend, the average will reach 100 around the end of this century,” Zuckerberg wrote in a Facebook post.

That $3 billion will come from the pair’s $45 billion worth of Facebook shares. Back in December, the couple said they would donate 99 percent of the shares over their lifetime through the CZI.

At the end of the San Francisco presentation, fellow tech philanthropist Bill Gates took to the stage, calling the initiative “very bold.”

“I think all of us will be proud to say that we were here when Mark and Priscilla started this journey,” the former Microsoft boss added.

Permalink to story.

Yes, good luck bypassing big Pharma in Washington and points similar in other countries.. My ex is type 1 diabetic, we've seen countless positive cures stopped at round 3 trials with no reason why, ( generally speaking if you can make it past the first two trail levels then it's a marketable product. ), study results vanish white papers go missing and the scientists tend to go dark very quickly.

Zuck likes to write big checks ... from behind his big walls in Palo Alto.

People have a right to security. Special people, that is.

Yes, good luck bypassing big Pharma in Washington and points similar in other countries.. My ex is type 1 diabetic, we've seen countless positive cures stopped at round 3 trials with no reason why, ( generally speaking if you can make it past the first two trail levels then it's a marketable product. ), study results vanish white papers go missing and the scientists tend to go dark very quickly.

This is currently happening with Kratom. Basically, a safe supplement that's actually effective at treating myriad conditions, so some big pharma suits got in touch with the DEA to get it banned as a schedule 1 drug (I.e. same group as heroin, cocaine, etc.). Gotta protect that bottom line.

LOLOL like the pharmaceutical drug-lord kingpin mafia assassins would EVER allow this to happen!! But I guess we can dream!

Are you guys for real ? Tinfoil much?

Kudos to Mark for actually doing something for this screwed up world.

You can bet that if Zuck is involved, he has another scheme up his sleeve. Even he isn't big enough to take on the Pharmaceuticals ..... , but he'll learn

Mostly, these "foundations" are nothing more than money laundering schemes to shovel money around, to escape taxes...and to pay hefty sums to the owners and those running them.

Hyperbole and self promotion are the words that come to mind. It's not nice to be overly cynical I know but this amount of money is such a tiny amount compared to the vast sums already being spent on cancer alone.

You assume all countries are corrupt and morally bankrupt as the US. As long as project manage this corruption, you could easily get them through by making your initiative international in scope.

Last edited:
Canada has already cured cancer but the united states won't allow the drug into the country because it will kill pharmaceutical sales and aids is already curable.....ask magic johnson

There is no way even with the best scientists in the world to cure all diseases. Diseases always mutate quickly when people gain immunity to it. and mutations are deadly created by nature and in the lab. also the genetic pool of the entire world is so weak that one in maybe one million is worth saving to administer cures. the rest are just genetically weakened humans that suffer from diseases they were born with that is completely uncurable unless its not passed on to their offspring. so this initiative to me is impossible and sounds like a major death sentence for those that cannot be saved

Canada has already cured cancer but the united states won't allow the drug into the country because it will kill pharmaceutical sales and aids is already curable.....ask magic johnson
What the hell does Magic Johnson have to do with Cancer? And where do you buy your tin foil hats from?

Are you guys for real ? Tinfoil much?

Kudos to Mark for actually doing something for this screwed up world.

Leave your safe space once every so often. It will help.

I agree. I can't believe how naive people still really are. If Zuckerberg buys out the Government and big Pharma, all the cures for all diseases would be found hidden in a locked room somewhere and labelled "secret: do not release to the public or the poor stupid citizens will no longer give us their money"

I can't believe how naive people still really are.

I can't believe how paranoid (most) people are. Big Pharma plotting to take all our money and killing us with vaccines, HAARP screwing up our weather, big oil mobsters ruining our water and piss engines and disallowing any new player to the market (hello, Tesla ??)... This could go on till tomorrow, everyone's scared of something, but the sum of it all is just... frightening.

I can't believe how paranoid (most) people are. Big Pharma plotting to take all our money and killing us with vaccines, HAARP screwing up our weather, big oil mobsters ruining our water and piss engines and disallowing any new player to the market (hello, Tesla ??)... This could go on till tomorrow, everyone's scared of something, but the sum of it all is just... frightening.
Realizing the truth is not being paranoid. No one's scared. We've just taken the red pill from the Matrix movie and woke up

Mark and Chan are just jealous of the Clinton Foundation so they are starting their own.

Are they going to find the cure for CFD?

COMPULSIVE FACEBOOK DISORDER

After all they both suffer from it so why not offer "the cure".

Back