Zuckerberg Donating Half His $$$ to Charity

That'll guarantee him a very nice tax relief figure. That aside, I think that's a very honourable thing to do, even if I do hate FB!

I think that this is just a measure of how much guilt he feels he has to alleviate, after making all that money on something as crappy and bizarre as Facebook.

In any event, it's just more publicity isn't it...?

If I gave away 10 billion of my 20 billion, I wonder if I'd still be able to live comfortably?

More importantly, I think we should work on making sure bank execs and stock brokers, don't get their hands on large sums of money in the first place.

I think that this is just a measure of how much guilt he feels he has to alleviate, after making all that money on something as crappy and bizarre as Facebook.

In any event, it's just more publicity isn't it...?

If I gave away 10 billion of my 20 billion, I wonder if I'd still be able to live comfortably?

More importantly, I think we should work on making sure bank execs and stock brokers, don't get their hands on large sums of money in the first place.

Agreed. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have made a similar pledge of some sort...Fair enough, Mark doesn't have to give it away, but he has and he'll get big praise for it. I dont think thats all the way right though because as you say, he's not exactly going into hardship with the however many billions he'll have left.

I faintly remembers there was someone (in US i think) who gave away all his wealth few years ago; but I can't remember that guy's name, may be Captain can help us?

I think it was Feeny, but frankly it has been so long that I don't remember many details about the story when it broke out in late 1990s, but I do remember he came clear about his charity related activities because someone threatened a lawsuit / taking legal discourse etc.

"The Millionaire" TV series was a morality play, watching what occurred when previously poor people suddenly came into money. Ya know, it never seemed to end well. Made the viewer wonder from time to time, if Tippton was a sadist. Or if the writers had a very dim view of humanity.

The principles of giving are in diametric opposition to the principles of Darwin.

From what I've seen, charity just begets to need for more charity.

Back