No more spam by 2006?

By on January 26, 2004, 3:25 AM
A spam-free world by 2006? That's what Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill Gates is promising.

"Two years from now, spam will be solved," he told a select group of World Economic Forum participants at this Alpine ski resort. "And a lot of progress this year," he added at the event late Friday, hosted by U.S. talk show host Charlie Rose.

Gates said Microsoft, where he has the title of chief software designer, is working on a solution based on the concept of "proof," or identifying the sender of the e-mail.

Read more: [URL=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040124/ap_on_hi_te/world_forum_gates_4]Yahoo News[/URL].

poertner_1274 said:
For some reason this doesn't surprise me that Bill Gates would say some crap like this. I don't think it will be easily solved by then, but man I sure hope so. Is this just another M$ tactic for more publicity?
Federelli said:
I think that Spam can't be solved anytime soon, and not even by 2006... but who knows what Gates has got
Per Hansson said:
i'm not even suprised by bill's lies anymore...I mean, solve SPAM, yea right, maybe by the time when every PC is based off his own "super safe BIOS", in 10 years that is...But then again, Conax was supposed to be a very secure system, anyone own a Dreambox 7000S?The x-box was supposed to be safe, anyone own a modded xbox?The PS/2 was supposed to be safe, anyone have a modded PS/2?DVD encryption was supposed to be very safe and was hacked by a 14 year old wannabee script kiddie...I mean I could go on forever!As long as there is a profit to be earned on something people are gonna continue too do it, as simple as that!And hey, isn't it allot cooler to earn your money on doing something illegal like producing and selling modchips?
aoj145 said:
Also, in the same speech he promised everyone 40 acres and a mule by 2008.
ak_in_charge said:
Doesn't matter what they Bill comes up with someone will find away around it...seems like they always do!
Phantasm66 said:
Hmmm.... That's a bold statement.Billy also once said something about computers "never needing to have more than 512k" or something. Hell knows... maybe by 2006 we will have spam-viruses or something!
---agissi--- said:
Yea maybe spam will go away, but something new will come... who knows :D but time will tell ;)
Didou said:
You people need to read between the lines. Bill has just revealed his master plan to us & we haven't said a thing...8)[quote]His words : [COLOR=red]"Two years from now, spam will be solved"[/COLOR]What he means : ( in a eery hyped up voice, a bit like Gollum on PCP ) [COLOR=darkblue]soon my pretties, soooooooon...[/COLOR]His words : [COLOR=red]"And a lot of progress this year"[/COLOR]What he means : [COLOR=darkblue]My minions are on their way to cut your throats while you sleep...[/COLOR]His words : [COLOR=red]"In the long run, the monetary (method) will be dominant"[/COLOR]What he means : [COLOR=darkblue]I SHALL RULE THE WORLD !!!![/COLOR][/quote]/me sees some people with Viking horns, huge swords & big orange mustaches crash through the window[b]Ahhhh, they've come for me !!!!!! I must flee !!! Remember the truth is out there ( or under your bed when it's cold outside ) !!![/b]
BrownPaper said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66[/i]Billy also once said something about computers "never needing to have more than 512k" or something. [/quote] i think it was 640k. haha that sounds ridiculous right now. anyways i think we still have that 640k somewhere on our computers.
StormBringer said:
it was 640k, and the quote has been taken out of context. You also are correct BrownPaper, that 640k is still 640k. Anyway, LMAO, I'll believe that when I see it. I get more spam now than ever(wasn't that no spam list supposed to reduce spam) I don't think there will be a solution until blood is spilled over this, preferably that of a spammer...
Rick said:
I think what he means by solved is some half-assed integration of technologies in outlook express simliar to what other mail programs have been using for years....Problem solved! :rolleyes:
Rick said:
Bill claims he can solve SPAM, but what about my REAL mailbox filled with bills and sweepstakes offers?
StormBringer said:
Maybe MS is going to "redefine" SPAM. It will now be a feature or a bonus rather than a problem.
Per Hansson said:
One more thing; Exchange does not even feature the possibility to add a blacklist like the SBL!They added this as a feature in Exchange 2003... Wow what an advancment, and spamlists have only existed for like 7 years now... go billy, go billy
Federelli said:
Prolly Microsoft will kill e-mail, that's the only viable solution... then SPAM will move into physical mail
StormBringer said:
Federelli, you been under a rock or something? I've been getting "SPAM" in my snail mail ever since I can remember.
Rick said:
If Bill gates were a country, he'd be the 57th richest country in the world.
MoRulez said:
It definitly can happen if his proposal for that hardware based OS, which would scan your computer for anything "un-ethical" to Bill Gates demands for total home computer domination.