Daily Download: ZoneAlarm 5.0

By on May 25, 2004, 3:53 PM
ZoneLabs released today a new version of its acclaimed ZoneAlarm 5 firewall program, a free version is available (see download link below) as well as a Pro version and a new offering that includes an antivirus add-on.

ZoneAlarm is designed to protect your DSL or cable-connected PC from hackers. This program includes four interlocking security services: a firewall, an application control, an Internet lock, and zones. The firewall controls the door to your computer and allows only traffic that you understand and initiate. The application control allows you to decide which applications can and cannot use the Internet. The Internet lock blocks Internet traffic while your computer is unattended. Zones monitor all activity on your computer and alert you when a new application attempts to access the Internet.

Download: ZoneAlarm 5.0 Free (5.5mb).

Unregistered said:
This version of ZA has been removed from their website, as it was totally messed up. DUTCH
Unregistered said:
I don't see it removed, just harder to find than paid versions... ZA playing old tricks ;).It seems to be working just fine here btw.
olefarte said:
I don't see it removed either. And the free version is easier to find now than it used to be, although you do have to look for it.I've got the Pro version, updated, and don't have any problems at all with it. At least so far.
TS | Thomas said:
I got the update notification "now" & it's downloading just fine. Just installed it now, working just fine as well. Interface looks a bit better (Fonts have changed it seems, never paid much attention before though). The only other new thing in the free version seems to be "Antivirus monitoring" - as I don't have any I've no use for this though, suffice to say it interacts with your installed anti-virus if you wish it to.
Unregistered said:
I found it to be a total disaster.I have backed out of it to 4.5, after it repeatedly caused the system to hang.I am not alone.
Phantasm66 said:
I have done the same thing. Bittorrents died and then hung the system, so did browser windows, etc. Finally rolled back to 4.5. Now things are fine. 5 isn't good I think - or isn't ready, perhaps.
TS | Thomas said:
Phantasm66 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by TS | Thomas [/i]Actually on the ZoneLabs support forum that's what they've recommended - if it's causing problems, uninstall it & stick 4.5 back on. Hmm, hope they fix that problem soon. [/quote] You know, I actually pressed reset. 5 hard drives, and I pressed reset. Whatever is wrong with ZA 5 has annoyed me a great deal. Ugh!Still, its not like we paid for it, or anything ;) !
BrownPaper said:
ZA 5 was weird because if you had another anti-virus program, ZA would say that it was incompatible with the anti-virus program and would not install. this happened when they first released ZA 5 but now they fixed the problem. kinda weird if you ask me.