AMD PCI Express due early in 2005

By Derek Sooman on September 9, 2004, 2:01 PM
Q1 2005 will be the arrival time for PCI Express on the Athlon64 family, it has been revealed. Of course, this is reliant on support from other manufacturers, especially the likes of ATI and Nvidia.

PCI-Express (formerly 3GIO or 3rd Generation I/O) is the name which has been dubbed by PCI-SIG, the committee responsible for overseeing the PCI interface standard. It advances computer I/O in ways that were long overdue, and will make it possible for several graphics cards to be used in tandem in "SLI" mode, to provide even greater graphics performance, opening the door to a new generation of games. The takeup of this technology by AMD is very welcome, and we look forward to seeing PCI Express compatible motherboards for AMD chips very soon.

RedRooster said:
Well that officially means no new PC this year for me :( Guess I'll have to try and play HL2 on my Tbird 1.3ghz and Radeon 8500. I'll just have more time to put money aside for it or I'll buy my big TV first instead ;)
Astro said:
You'll be fine. Wait til next year when Call of Duty 2 and the new Wolfenstein (both based on the Doom 3 engine) come out. Then it's definitely time for a new PC!
Phantasm66 said:
I can't wait to build a box with all of this cool stuff - all around a new BTX style case.
RedRooster said:
Unregistered said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by RedRooster [/i]I still thinks that BTX is a bunch of bull. I really don't see the difference, well there's a small difference. Anyways, I was planning to go AMD 64/PCI-Express for Christmas but now it will wait. The price of video cards will just be lower ;) [/quote] I had similar hopes - but to boost my rig for HL2 & DOOM3 i was planning on getting a 6800GT when the 6600's and x700's appear(hopefully lowering its price). I could then drop this 6800 into a PCI/64 board (Nforce 4 maybe) in new year. Any thoughts
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Nic said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli [/i]I can't wait to get rid of all of my x86 computers, no matter what graphics cards & interfaces are coming. [/quote]And replace them with ... ?
Unregistered said:
Do I understand this correctly, this will be the ONLY card slot (replaceing AGP AND PCI)?
Per Hansson said:
Yes, however most boards will keep "legacy" PCI and AGP slots for many years (remember the old ISA slot, it was not removed untill sometime 99-200 but PCI got introduced 1993...
Unregistered said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli [/i]I can't wait to get rid of all of my x86 computers, no matter what graphics cards & interfaces are coming. [/quote] [quote][i]Originally posted by Nic [/i]And replace them with ... ? [/quote] I think Mictlantecuhtli meant to say "I can't wait to get rid of all of my [16-bit] x86 computers...." (read: i286s) ... skip the 32-bit x86s and just jump to the 64s *L* ... hehehe ... j/k
PlayfullyEvil said:
FINALLY!!! Now I can plan for a new vc, proc, mobo & RAM purchase to replace this RADEON 9800Pro 256MB, AthyXP 2400+ (o/c'd to 2.3GHz w/ stock AMD HSF), A7N8X Deluxe Rev2 / Kingston KHX3200AK2/1G.Ahhhh, the never-ending upgrading frenzy will begin yet again ... soon, I hope. :-D
Mictlantecuhtli said:
No, I'm switching to Mac world.
Unregistered said:
im kinda upset... i wish it still did come out this year... i was hoping christmas as well :(maybe ill get a laptop with centrino...In any case ddr2 vendorsr are out of their minds right now! have any of you seen the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeez
nvening said:
I am still expecting it to b delayed. Even wen it comes out there will be probs and itul be overpriced! Its also supossed to support SATA II eerrrrrrr great i suppose?