Only XP to get IE update

By Derek Sooman on September 23, 2004, 10:53 AM
"It's a problem that people should have to pay for a whole OS upgrade to get a safe browser. It does look like a certain amount of this is to encourage upgrade to XP." - Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions on Microsoft.

Running Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000? Then you can forget about running a secure browser. The latest security enhancements to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 will only be available for Windows XP.

200 million people worldwide are apparently using versions of Windows prior to XP, and those users will soon find themselves running a browser that is known all over the internet to be unpatched and may indeed be susceptible to attack. This is because Microsoft have confirmed that new version of Microsoft's IE Web browser available only as part of the recently released Windows XP operating system, Service Pack 2. Now that certainly is a good way to step up SP2 downloads.

Nic said:
Ok, so SP2 has a new browser, but it looks and feels exactly the same. What we want is useful features like multi-tabbed windows, not just under-the-bonnet enhancements. Until this post, I didn't even notice the 'new' IE.
jstillion said:
They did add new features but would only go far as "enhancment" over "new" browser.I've been using Mozilla Firefox web browser since version .06 (and when it was known as Phoenix), it would take a lot for me to switch back to IE as my primary browser.
Per Hansson said:
So much for that Security Initiative eh?I sure hope someone creates a virus that uninstalls IE soon and in it's place installs Opera!
Phantasm66 said:
What are you waiting for? Get installing SP2 right now ;)
RedRooster said:
Is that warning suppose to make me run to the store to buy Xp? I won't be going to XP anytime soon. I'll switch when I get a AMD 64 and install the 64 bit XP edition.
Didou said:
What about the ones on Windows 2000. It's not as simple as installing SP2 as far as they're concerned.:p
Astro said:
For those on prior versions of Windows, switch to Mozilla Firefox! Don't even use IE anymore - I certainly don't, except for when I update my church's website and need to make sure it looks ok in IE.
RedRooster said:
I already use Firefox. Only problem is I need IE for windows update. But I doubt they will release new windows update for 2K....
jstillion said:
If they come out with a new Service Pack for 2000 I bet they will get some of the patches / updates for IE.Unless there thought is this... Windows 2000 Workstation -> Upgrade to XPWindows 2000 Server -> Upgrade to 2003 Server with Virtual Server Software for software that's not compatible with 2k3 server.
Didou said:
Well unless they drop support for 2000 OSes, they have to release regular updates especially for flaws that have been discovered & documented all over the Net.
SNGX1275 said:
Some of the Windows 2000 updates have "SP5" in their names when you look at it via add remove programs.
Per Hansson said:
Phantasm66: I don't think my Win2K will like me installing XPSP2 on it :DRedRooster: Amen to that! I'll keep my Win2K as long as I can, MS will have to pry it off my dead fingers! It's the only close to decent OS they have ever made.I'll upgrade if I do get a 64bit CPU to 64bit XP, otherwise I will stay with Win2K untill some programs I really need demand Longhorn, which wont be for many more years.... (think 2007)And when that day comes I'm really hoping GNU/Linux has come a much longer way towards application compability and performance so I can run that instead of crap Windows./End Rant
Unregistered said:
I'm with the Moose!
m4dxdpd said:
You know, It makes me wonder why MS is so desperately trying to force SP2 down everyones throats....I put a block on it, and still they used their covert methods of trying to install it on my machine even though I didn't want it ...(Intelligent background transfer service) I for one just think this is nothing more than Complex Spyware!!!! Everything that the "New and Improved SP2" does, (Security)...I already have on my computer!!!! God forbid I even have to use IE for anything at all!!!! (Just for MS updates...because they made it that way on purpose....) Other than that, SP2 was nothing more than One Huge Headace for me once I installed it!!! Didn't take me 5mns to un-install it so my programs would work correctly again!!!! And I'm with everyone else on the Browser choice...Mozilla Firefox....IE blows...especially for security!!!! :(BTW, SP2 doesn't totally uninstall:rolleyes: It leaves behind the"New IE update " in your IE browser..... ;)