Dell to recall 35,000 notebook batteries

By Derek Sooman on December 19, 2005, 5:47 PM
Dell has announced that it is to recall 35,000 notebook batteries that could potentially pose a fire risk. The recall is being undertaken in conjunction with the Consumer Products Safety Commission. So far there have been no injuries reported, but Dell has received three reports of damage to table tops and desks as a result of the problem.

Users who may need a new battery are those using Dell Latitude models D410, D505, D510, D600, D610, D800, and D810; Inspiron models 510M, 600M, 6000, 8600, 9200, and 9300; the XPS Generation 2 notebook; and Precision M20 and M70 mobile workstations. The batteries were also sold separately and provided as part of service replacements, Dell said.

PanicX said:
Seems like I've seen quite a few laptop battery recalls lately. How do these type of things get past quality checks?[url=http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/05/20/appl
_recalls_batteries/]Apple battery recall[/url][url=http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06
06007.html]HP battery recall[/url]
Subservient said:
This actually happened to me. My Inspiron 9200 had a battery leak. Luckily, nothing other than the computer was damaged. The replaced it free of cost of course :)
Eleventeen said:
I think my parents have one of those models, Im going to go check in a bit. They also had to replace an AC adapter that was on another Dell model a few months back. Apparently it could catch fire or something. Nice work techspot for telling me and everyone else about this.
Bartzy said:
Funny to think about someone who is using his laptop and suddenly the battery gets up on fire.It can be pretty dangerous, I don't blame Dell if they are kinda in a hurry about this problem.Anyway, I think people who's battery got up on fire should get something more from Dell than just another battery.
vnf4ultra said:
I wonder if the batteries are all "knowingly defective", or if just a few people got batteries that were messed up from the factory, as in not put together right, etc. I can understand having a few defective batteries on a few machines, but if all of them are defective, that be a major problem. At least dell laptop users can get new batteries now...
asphix said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]Funny to think about someone who is using his laptop and suddenly the battery gets up on fire.[/quote]Its actually pretty crazy. Its not just risk of fire, its risk of serious bodily injury. I work in I.T. for a local municipality and the fire chief brought in a laptop that had EXPLODED to take a look at. He wanted us to make sure it was the actual battery that came with the laptop, or if it was a 3rd party one.This battery (in an older model Toshiba laptop) was in the front and it looked like a double barrel shotgun. Two of the cells exploded toward the user spraying battery acid all over her. She had 3rd degree burns all over her face and upper body.Its dangerous stuff. My guess is that something happend with one or two batteries and the recall is playing it safe to prevent lawsuits. I recommend you take the recall seriously, exploding batteries are about as dangerous as sticking your hand into a running fanbelt.
jettwo said:
It doesn't surprise me, new Dell products are no where near the quality that Dell used to put out. Cheaper parts, cheaper labor...it's all a way to compete with HP/Compaq, etc. It's all about selling the lowest cost machine on the market..gaining market share without worrying about the consequences.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Do these batteries explode when charging, or when just using them?If they explode when charging, I'd guess it would be safer to use less current / voltage to recharge them.Or use more aggressive thermal protection for the cells.
nimo333 said:
Ok so I heard in the last year that they recalled Apple, HP, and now this (Dell) batteries. What's going on here?Oh nevermind, someone earlier already commented that.
mentaljedi said:
Somebody really needs to work on this battery technology. Conventional batteries are too expensive, mobile batteries kee leaking, now laptops, its the whole battery market! Somebody do something!!!
BEcon77 said:
Maybe I am not understanding something, but on one of theexploded laptops I have seen the battery was completelyintact. It was on the other side of the laptop no where near the battery???I also must say, when I ordered my new battery for my 600m, it arrived in less than 24 hours and Dell could not have made the process any easier. I was very impressed with the ease of the process, granted had mine blown up I probably would be cursing them right now.