Seagate announces 160GB laptop drive and 500GB backup unit

By Justin Mann on January 3, 2006, 6:22 PM
Seagate is up to good things. Everybody loves laptops, and the second biggest hurdle with them right now after power consumption is storage capacity. We're already seeing plans for laptops with RAID. Now Seagate is announcing the development of a 160GB 2.5” drive, the largest to date. It will feature perpendicular recording, a method of writing to the physical platters that is more efficient that the current horizontal spread that modern HDD use. They're also looking to step into the home media segment, though more from a backstab solution standpoint, with a 500GB external “one push-button” system. SATA, even externally, is much faster than USB and FireWire by a good margin, and just about all modern HDD can fully saturate the bandwidth that USB offers. Given the popularity of external storage, adopting external SATA is a great idea. These announcements are being made official at the Consumer Electronics Show.

blue_dragon said:
WOW!!160GB for laptops..if they were to apply this ti desktop pc's he could start hitting 1 tetrabyte hD's
asphix said:
The prospects of a laptop based HTPC just got a whole lot brighter. Maybe in a year when I'm ready for that purchase a laptop would be just as ideal as a small form factor PC.More on topic, Is it just me or is Segate getting a LOT of attention lately? They've been releasing a lot of great stuff in the storage segment lately and its a nice diversion from the mess that is the next gen DVD format wars.Or maybe I just never noticed it before.
exscind said:
I assume this hard drive also spins as 7200rpm; otherwise, a 5400rpm 160GB might have difficult time allocating data in a grand scale, especially with most - if not all - laptops underclocking CPU in normal multitasking to reduce power output (ie. AMD's Cool'n'Quiet technology). But this does seem amazing for a laptop with that much hard drive space.Seagate has acquired Maxtor, another long-time hard drive manufacturing company. This will give Seagate some extra muscles, "boosts" if you would like to call it, in the advancement of the hard drive industry.And to the post above, 1 terabyte hard drives are already available via RAID setups. But with the "new" perpendicular recording, who knows what the limit will be.
DragonMaster said:
Eleventeen said:
160GB? Pretty impressive. That's the size of my current desktop hard drive. Like I said, laptops these days are getting close to desktops in performance and other things, although they still have a long way to go to surpass them (if they ever will). Still, I like the idea of having more room to store files on a laptop. Plus, it's Seagate. Can't beat that brand. This is a good move from that company, hopefully they will do more amazing things in the days to come.
exscind said:
[b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]Yes, we can get 1TB, but it's not *an* HDD, it's *some* HDDs.How many platters are there to get 500GBs?[/quote]I don't disagree, I was just referring to the above comment which has the notion that there weren't any 1 terabyte hard drives. It's not to refute or create an argument, don't worry! And with perpendicular recording, 1TB for _an_ (just for you!) hard drive does not seem so outlandish. It also makes me wonder about the quantum storage that periodically pops up in the news now and then.
raystorm said:
I just bought a Seagate Barracuda drive (250gb, SATA). You cant beat the 5 year warranty. Boy.. I dont see myself getting at 500 gig drive..thats just beyond massive. Then again I dont dabble in Tivo/PVR stuff.
otmakus said:
I bet that laptop with the 160 GB hard drive will have a stratospheric price tag. Only the most mobile proffesionals need this kind of laptop. Most people who need that much hard drive space in a laptop have desktop PC too, so it will be much more cost efficient to save only important data in a laptop, and transfer the other data into the PC, which can have as much as a few TB of space.As for backup solution, I think it's better to have the new DVD format with 30 or 40 GB in a single disc, although it looks like the war between the two format isn't going to end anytime soon.
rahuls said:
If they could have blended the first problem of power consumption along with the space issue then it could have made a great impact
PUTALE said:
wow, seagate is really on a roll here. I really like the idea of having 160gig for the laptop. THe one thing that's always lackign is the storage spaces.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Another feather in the cap for Seagate I say. What if they teamed up with Google for the latter's new PC? That would be something to watch out for!
cyrax said:
While this is wonderful, i wonder about heat and speed.Not only that but now that they have bought maxtor, i hope they will not inherit the infamous Maxtor head crash issue.
zachig said:
I really think that the merge between Seagate and Maxtor has done them only good things. Way to go Seagate-Maxtor!!!
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]I assume this hard drive also spins as 7200rpm; otherwise, a 5400rpm 160GB might have difficult time allocating data in a grand scale, especially with most - if not all - laptops underclocking CPU in normal multitasking to reduce power output (ie. AMD's Cool'n'Quiet technology).[/quote]???
mentaljedi said:
Whether the argumant of power, speed, or whatever, they ahve it which means they'll look for something bigger which will push the price down. I just say, the more the merrier.
nimo333 said:
If you read Popular Science, you wouldn't be suprised. Toshiba has been creating an HD that would fit 1TB in your laptop, it took them 20 years to reach to this tech and they will sell them in a few years from now.Anyway, there is something that Justin didn't mention "Seagate will also announce a new 500GB eSATA push-buttpn backup hard drive aimed at the desktop and entry-level server market. It will feature a 300MB/sec interface making it up to five times faster than competing interfaces such as USB 2.0 or FireWire." source: [url]http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25511[/ur
]So 300MB/sec, that's great, we need that kind of speed for burning HD-DVDs.
nathanskywalker said:
TA dA![url]http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_hea
/pr/[/url]perpindicular recording..ok so we all already knew that, dang it! Well, don't have much to say...GO SEAGATE!!!