BluRay making an appearance on the 360?

By Justin Mann on January 16, 2006, 12:04 PM
Will Microsoft be incorporating BluRay drives into the Xbox 360? It's entirely possible that MS will offer BluRay support in the new console, despite having backed HD DVD to quite a degree. The industry is still split very 50/50 and it makes sense to try and get support for as much as you can.

“At present time, considering such part [external optical drive], Microsoft selects HD DVD. But since it is unknown whether HD DVD and Blu-ray wins [the format battler], we took the form, external drive, which allows us to change in future situations,” said Peter Moore, head of the Microsoft interactive entertainment division in an interview with ITmedia web-site.
These are interesting developments. Both HD DVD and BluRay are set to make market appearances this year, and Microsoft has stated that addon drives for the 360 will be available this year as well, perhaps as soon as this summer.

MonkeyMan said:
This sounds great, I think Microsoft should go with the Blue ray drive, but it seems either would probably be beneficial to Microsoft. I guess only time will tell the tale to this story.
CrossFire851 said:
Blue-ray and HDDVD should come to a compermise. It will be like vhs Vs Beta max (my dad told me that one.) AS a consumer, and I already said this, I don't want to be with a un-supported formatt.
MonkeyMan said:
exscind said:
nathanskywalker said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote]If the competition ends up 50/50, then I'm sure Microsoft will have two versions of Xbox 360: one with HD DVD and the other Blu-ray. They'll be able to make more profits this way, so it is a very viable path.If one format wins over the other, then I don't see Microsoft not jumping into the bandwagon. They are in it to make money, after all. [/quote]yes, that would probably be the best path to take. OF course, i do not think microsoft will be making any money off the actuall hardware, and i do wonder which one will cost more.
Cartz said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]Or Microsoft finds a way to have features of the Blue ray, and HDDVD, combined into one, to have benefits from both of them.[/quote]Neither side really offers unique benefits, which is why this is shaping up the way it is. The two formats do essentially the exact same thing, but 'there can be only one', since consumers don't want to purchase TWO new video disc players.It's a format battle, the two sides would be very unlikely to accept a dual format solution. It's a battle for market dominace, neither side wants a 'share' of the market, they want it all.
Soul Harvester said:
Derek reported on this last week. I stupidly didn't notice! Sorry everyone!
mentaljedi said:
Its okay but the thing is, Microsoft will probably wait out the storm like most will. I know i will and you should too!