Xbox 360 January 2006 update rolling out

By Justin Mann on January 30, 2006, 8:26 PM
That's right. Now even consoles are getting upgrades & patches. If you are one of the lucky Xbox 360 owners, the next time you connect to the Xbox Live service, your console will download and install a software update for itself, which includes a variety of fixes:

Improvements to the Xbox Guide.
Option to retain your saved games when you delete a profile.
Increased accuracy of "last time played."
Network configuration improvements for Xbox LiveŽ members in the Netherlands.
More detailed messaging for unreadable disk or region errors.

Only the first of those really happens to affect gameplay all that much, though it's an interesting time we live in when a console, typically thought of as a pretty static, unchanging firmware-crafted device, is getting online updates. That does seem to be the trend future consoles are heading towards, and is likely to become even more prevelant.

gamingmage said:
Wow this is like Sony is with the PSP, upgrading software to fix and add things. I don't know about the disk error messages, hopefully they are understandable by ordinary gamers who don't know the vernacular(language, lingo, etc...) of computer items and other things. Even if it alerts the person what can they do about it? Do they give a number to call? Instructions to follow? I wouldn't know because I am to poor to own a 360, besides I like PC gaming more.
allc0re said:
You say "...one of the lucky XBOX 360 owners." I say Its hard enough to avoid microsoft's monopoly on computer software, why would I want to add to their fortune by also purchasing thier game console and games. Plus, I've heard first-hand that they overheat too often. They might have the newest most snazzy console on the market, but I wouldn't dirty my hands with it.
Need_a_Dell said:
This sounds like a great idea. I have always been a fan of PC gaming, and the more we progress into the future, the more consoles are acting like PC's. One of the main things that I love about PC gaming is the fact that patches and updates are released on a regular basis. Content patches are also worth their weight in bytes. The more consoles become like PC's, the more they appeal to me. Perhaps in the near future, I will purchase a PConsole!
otmakus said:
Supra said:
[b]Originally posted by otmakus:[/b][quote]I can see in the near future when there will be "Norton 200X Game Console Protection, compatible with XBOX 360, PS3, PSP, and Nintendo DS, buy it now!".[/quote]Please NO....From my experience, the removal of a profile didnt delete save games anyways, all you lose is your gamer score which really sucks. I accidentally lost mine when I signed up for xbox live and my username was already taken, I picked a different one and it erased my gamer score which was reaching 1000 points. I still have my game saves but in order to get my score back I need to replay everything I did to get the score in the first place.
barfarf said:
nathanskywalker said:
[url]http://www.xboxic.com/news/88[/url]Hey, MS is doing something to make up for all the trouble the 360's had on getting of the ground. Autoupdateable firmware, definently. I wish my router would do that.
jmag034 said:
Hey, finally they realized all the problems with their console. I bought one on the release day and sold it the month after for twice what I paid for it. I really didnt like the console.
fury said:
Well, what do you expect? The Xbox 360 is essentially a PC. PCs require patches and all that...[b]Originally posted by barfarf:[/b][quote]How far in the future will everything be able to updatable with patches and bug fixes? I am still waiting for the update to my brain. I believe its a 1.0. =)[/quote]Lucky you. I got one of the prerelease versions. It was cheaper, apparently.