OLPC announces "Give one, Get one" holiday promo

By on September 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
The XO laptop will soon be available for purchase in the US. However, under a new program dubbed "Give one, Get one", consumers looking to get their hands on the so-called $100 laptop must shell out $400 to buy two machines, one of which will go to a child in a developing country.

"OLPC will be offering a 'Give 1 Get 1 Program' for a brief window of time," said OLPC founder Nicholas Negroponte in a statement. "For $399 you will be purchasing two XO laptops, one that will be sent to empower a child to learn in a developing nation, and one that will be sent to your child at home."
The program, which will run from November 12 to November 26, is intended to kick-start volume production of the XO laptop and raise awareness of the One Laptop per Child project. More details about the "Give one, Get one" program is available at XOGiving.org, where you can also donate $200 just for the sake of giving.

The OLPC has also announced that the first countries to receive the donated laptops will be Cambodia, Afghanistan, Rwanda and Haiti.

captain828 said:
what bull... we're better off with the ASUS eePC, or whatever it's calledcurious to see how many suckers will arise
miyu said:
I have several doubts about OLPC, one of them is this money can be spent better. Developing countries in Africa need better schools and infrastructure to transport kids to school. What exactly will a labtop do if he or she doesn't know how to use it? From what the wiki wrote on it, the OS will be a lite version of Fedora Core. Linux is not the easy to learn. What if these labtops get into the hands of criminals or worst terrorists? OLPC has some merits but their approach to the solution is flawed from the beginning.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by miyu:[/b][quote] What if these labtops get into the hands of criminals or worst terrorists? OLPC has some merits but their approach to the solution is flawed from the beginning.[/quote]uh... are you serious?You're afraid of terrorist getting hold of some of the cheapest computer equipment available? How exactly do you imagine terrorists post all those gruesome hostage videos to the internet? Criminals and terrorists already have far better equipment than OLPC's available to them to help orchestrate their twisted actions.Also, denying that cheap computers can help in under developed countries is kind of naive. Should we perhaps deny them books or literature because they need to learn to read first?
Julio said:
Try not to heat the conversation too much...At some point I have also thought about this initiative being flawed, after all who needs a computer when there is hunger. But extreme poverty is a huge problem that has to be attacked from all fronts possible. With the OLPC the idea is to invest in the human resource, improving child education in developing countries.I personally believe the Internet can be an extremely useful tool for education.Also if you look at the list of countries on the OLPC project, not all of them are isolated poor countries, but beautiful developing nations (Brazil, Argentina, etc.) that unfortunately have very high rates of poverty on its rural areas especially.
miyu said:
Just giving them a labtop is only a small part of the problems kids in those participating countries. Like Julio said, poverty is a problem in many countries especially rural areas. If a kid stays hungry or has no place to stay, a labtop wouldn't be of use to them. If the infrastructure in those rural areas cannot handle all the labtops turned on each night and causes a blackout, what good will that be.As with terrorists I give an example. Some disgruntled kid who gets a XO labtop in Pakistan starts hating the West. Now he has the means to fuel his hatred by going on sites that are pro terrorists and anti-American. He can exchange twisted ideas on how to build bombs, etc. I'm looking at this from the negative angle because there will be always people who will ABUSE technology. I am not stating that these people should not receive computers. What I am trying to point out is that the problems in those countries cannot be solved with just giving them computers. There needs to be more involvement from other agencies to help in other areas.[Edited by miyu on 2007-09-24 20:49:00]
Julio said:
I see what your point is, but that is a rather pessimistic view on humanity. I believe instead that better informed people are poised to make better decisions.
miyu said:
I do see good in humanity.The OLPC project needs people to teach the kids life skills also. Having a labtop doesn't teach kids what right and wrong is. Sure, they can base a decision to make informed choices but where is the base coming from? Using faulty reasoning only hurts the kids and those that are affected by their decisions. Experience in life comes from qualified people that can help mentor kids from rural areas. This can help them to make decisions based on principles passed on by their elders. Technology does have its place in society but its not the best in all circumstances.India opted out on the OLPC and many Africian nations have their reservations too.[Edited by miyu on 2007-09-24 23:45:48]
PanicX said:
Am I missing something here? From what I understand, the OLPC project is mainly about making computing available to those that otherwise can't afford it. I don't recall it being a project to cure all the ills of poverty and hunger. I don't know why you would want to debate that OLPC won't teach social morality or replace an education system. It never was meant to. There are real problems with the overall idea which stem in completely different directions than what I understand your apprehension is based on. Things like a foreign technology company taking grip of your nations young minds or lower class. Or the demand for electrical power this might put on under developed nations. Or forcing national governments to set precedents on how to cope or deal with mass communications instantly available to their large poverty base.And I honestly can't figure out how you can equate the OLPC project as in support of terrorism. It would take probably the same twisted logic to back up that statement that is used to say driving SUV's supports terrorism.
miyu said:
I never implied that the OLPC project supports terrorism. What I was trying to bring out are possibilities. Maybe its just that you don't think of possible occurances that can happen with these labtops. I'm just thinking 'outside of the box' on this subject, in no way I was trying to connect the OLPC project with terrorism. Its just my overactive mind thinking of what can happen because nowadays you really cannot trust people in the post 9-11 world. Maybe it won't happen, we just don't know yet. I did imply that there are merits to this project. It can allow kids to learn teamwork to solve problems. As they grow up they can better solve the problems in their respective countries.There is no real reason to continue the conversation here. Julio posted 'Try not to heat the conversation too much...'PanicX, lets agree to disagree on this subject. I have a right to my opinions, whether I'm right or wrong. This goes for you too. There is not really a right answer to the OLPC project right now. We just have to wait and see how the OLPC project is benefiting those who need learning tools the most.
PanicX said:
I don't think that I've compelled you to give up your opinions, nor do I think that this conversation is heated or degenerated to a level that Julio finds unacceptable. If you've decided to stop talking about the ramifications of the OLPC project thats up to you. Although I still can't see how the detriments of cheap computers with linux would out way the benefits.
jbenfield said:
It's unfortunate that people don't think through the implications of these kinds of thinking. It's the same argument that's used to kill funding for pure research and development, space exploration, medical research, the SSC, etc. I agree that we need relief for short term situations and suffering. But if we're going to redirect funding and focus it shouldn't be away from education, information sharing, research and development. If we all embraced the short term solutions and failed to invest in the future, we'd have died out a long time ago ("Why are you wasting time putting those seeds in the ground? You could be picking berries. People are starving and need food now, dammit!")In any case, I think that the OLPC has a lot of merit. But, ultimately, how you invest your money and what efforts you support are a personal decision. I'm glad that we don't all share the same views or we wouldn't have any balance. We'd have a single monolithic charity that focused on one issue to the exclusion of all others. Yes, there are issues with the OLPC that need to be addressed and an infrastructure that will need to be put in place. But knowledge and training are somewhat self-replicating. If you train a teacher, they can train other teachers who train others...etc etc etc and the human infrastructure will grow exponentially. The hardware doesn't work that way, so it needs people to fund it and get it out there. In any case, it's good that people are talking about this. I just wish that there was more discussion of alternatives when the roadblocks are thrown out there. It's easy to bash something. But the real value would be to propose alternative solutions or ways to make it work.