All major Hollywood studios now backing Blu-ray

By on February 21, 2008, 4:34 PM
Merely a day after Toshiba threw in the towel in its format war with Sony by announcing it is abandoning HD DVD, both Paramount and Universal Studios unsurprisingly announced their new Blu-ray alliance – thus making all six major Hollywood studios Blu.

The Hollywood Reporter expects to see Universal and Paramount new releases hitting Blu-ray and DVD at the same time by late spring or early summer. Blu-ray’s challenges are far from over, however. Despite now being touted as the next major video format, prices still have to come down for stand-alone players before it gains mainstream acceptance. Moreover, Blu-ray needs to step out from the shadow of the billion-dollar DVD business and find a way to distance itself from the advent of digital downloads before any returns on investment are seen.

bwchato said:
the hell with Blu-ray.If they think intelligent people are going to buy all the movies they have on DVD on blu-ray now they are crazy.i don't intend to adopt blu-ray period.I'm happy with my DVDs.I almost have my movie count where it was when i changed formats from vhs,which was a very worth while change,but i have no use for blu-ray.And as younger people say content is king,i have no problem with the content i already have with DVDs and hard drives.
PanicX said:
howzz1854 said:
peas said:
"Progress is inevitable"You mean like BetaMax, MiniDisc, MemoryStick (how many different incompatible versions are there now?)...Sony's marketing department lucked out more due to Toshiba's incompetent marketing. Sorny catered to the studios' unreasonable demands for more and more DRM. Customers aren't winning out in this one.
windmill007 said:
I love my HDTV and PS3 BlueRay. Once you seen it or have it you won't be saying you won't every change because looking at a TV with DVD is like looking at tv without glasses on. There really is that much difference! And it even makes regular dvd's look better. Whats not to love? Well the price... But it will come down at some point. I just couldn't wait that long and went in debt...but it was worth it :)
windmill007 said:
I really don't see a need to buy many DVD's or Bluerays disc. How many people watch a movie more than once? Usually its just the kids. I may a year or more down the road but not likely. Just use netflixs for a small monthly fee you can get all the blueray movies you want. And keep it as long as you want. Plus with a PS3 it will make your dvd's you already bought look better too! So why convert! Just start buying blueray or renting. And it will play both! With vhs it was not the same as dvd so you had to change...not so with blueray. Sure if you want the best possible picture or sound on a movie you will want to get that movie in blueray but you don't have to change your whole collection.[Edited by windmill007 on 2008-02-22 14:17:57]
ahal said:
I don't believe in waiting forever for new technology, but look at the folk who bought the first DVD players. Mine cost £150 in 2001 and I thought that was cheap. A year later they were available for £70. The first people spent £600 on stuff that had half the capabilities!Sure, if you can afford it go on out and buy, and enjoy. For most of us that kind of pricedrop can't be absorbed. As far as I'm concerned Blu Ray and the studios can go commit a certain act with themselves. It took long enough for the greedy sods to let DVD format even get going.
icye said:
Its not just the blu-ray player I have to get, I need to get a HDTV and good sound system to get the most out watching movies on Blu-Ray. Its a cost that is hard to swallow for me and many others. Besides wait a year or two and cheaper Blu-Ray players will come out which will make that new $600 player bought recently into a new footrest.
Nirkon said:
intelligent? dumb people pick formats at the beginning, pick after the war ends..now also everyone with a ps3 is screwed a bit because of Bluray Profile 2, the update to bluraythat adds features and whatnot.Anyway im happy with my dvds, i dont need much more than that.
windmill007 said:
now also everyone with a ps3 is screwed a bit because of Bluray Profile 2, the update to bluraythat adds features and whatnot.See thats where you are wrong and I have researched this. The PS3 witch includes a hard drive is firmware upgradeable to profile 2 when it is realeased. So for spending $399 for my PS3 I am protected well into the future. Its hard to beat the PS3 as a blueray player and at $399 it isn't to bad of a price.
windmill007 said:
Yes the cost is high but so is the payoff. So for around $2000 for everything I get to enjoy theatre or better quality sitting right at home. I can also stream movies I download from my computer and also play netfixs Unlimited on-demand movies right to my HDTV. So for many years I will enjoy this but yes in about 5 years the price will be down around what you can get current standard stuff for but who wants to wait that long. We will have 3d and stuff by then :)HDTV are comming down. I use to be in the its to expensive group but once you experiance what you have been missing you can see where the cost is justified. I am still using my 5.1 receiver and speakers that I had from my standard dvd setup. Yes if you have nothing the cost is going to be higher but you got to start somewhere right?
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by howzz1854:[/b][quote]intelligent people? it's like saying you knew the stock market would crash yesterday and all the people who bought their stocks are $tupid. this is a market of economy, no one is right or wrong, technology improves, so does the competition that goes on that stimulates the economy. you can't call someone $tupid for wanting to stick to what works and save a buck. it's basic human logic. you also can't say someone is smart for buying into a new format that he or she knew was going to be the winner. unless you can predict the future, that average joe is just like the rest of the early adopter geeks out there like you, me, or everyone else who stumbled on the right choice at the right place and the right time. if anyone were as "smart" as you said, there would be no competition. [/quote]You seem to misconstrue my points and clearly take offense to a statement that I claim as my own opinion. In no way would picking HD DVD over Bluray be comparable to purchasing stock before a market crash. It would be comparable to say purchasing SCO stock after their IP claims. If you do the research and use some "intelligent" decision making skills, you can see that it is a bad investment. Albeit, the differences between HD DVD and Bluray are more subtle and difficult to distinguish, there's no argument that Bluray is the superior format for data density, DRM security and data bandwidth. However I do still believe that it is more intelligent to NOT unnecessarily double purchase media, especially now that we know what the next generation format is going to be.
bwchato said:
[b]Originally posted by howzz1854:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]Progress is inevitable. Formats will improve, content will change. The very same reasons why you would switch from VHS to DVD are why you should switch from DVD to the next generation media. It sounds to me like you feel burned because you waited to switch to DVD and therefore repurchased many videos on a new format. You can definitely put yourself into the same position because formats don't phase out quickly. Movies will be available on DVD for years to come, which will allow you to dig deeper and deeper into a now obsolete technology. IMO, intelligent people are the ones that picked up on the head start Blu-Ray had at the beginning and already are negating repurchasing content. I've personally settled with waiting out the format war and will be adopting Blu-Ray when I decide between buying a PS3 or standard Blu-Ray player.[/quote]that has got to be the most condecending and illogical statement i've heard. intelligent people? it's like saying you knew the stock market would crash yesterday and all the people who bought their stocks are $tupid. this is a market of economy, no one is right or wrong, technology improves, so does the competition that goes on that stimulates the economy. you can't call someone $tupid for wanting to stick to what works and save a buck. it's basic human logic. you also can't say someone is smart for buying into a new format that he or she knew was going to be the winner. unless you can predict the future, that average joe is just like the rest of the early adopter geeks out there like you, me, or everyone else who stumbled on the right choice at the right place and the right time. if anyone were as "smart" as you said, there would be no competition. [/quote]