Gates: 140 Million copies of Vista sold

By on May 8, 2008, 6:40 PM
Despite Vista struggling with the public’s perception, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is touting the OS’ “rapid sales rate” saying 140 million copies have been sold thus far. Gates did not specify whether those were licenses, retail copies, or some combination of the two – but the latter is more likely.

The update is the first since the company crossed the 100 million mark at the end of last year, meaning Microsoft could be selling around 10 million copies of Vista per month – of course, a great portion of this stem from licenses for new computers as part of users’ regular upgrade cycles.

Things may not be as rosy on the Vista front as Microsoft would want us to believe, however, with around 160,000 people having signed an online petition asking the company to continue selling its predecessor until the next version of Windows is released. Not to mention Dell, HP and Lenovo are saying they will continue to sell XP past its June 30 sales cut-off date.

fada said:
Yeah and that amounts to 140 million pissed off customers cause Vista sucks the big one!worst system iv ever used by and far!
gamerguy53 said:
In my opinion, vista is a good OS just a bit bloated. I use vista premium x64 and I love it. I find it simple to use just disable UAC.
PanicX said:
When purchasing Windows XP in volume licensing, you actually purchase a Vista license and a XP downgrade license. I don't suppose that those numbers could be misconstrued at all.
fullmetalvegan said:
9Nails said:
Another happy Vista Ultimate x64 customer here too. I've also disabled UAC, (It's easy to find inside the "User Accounts" control panel) and all the annoyance that Vista once gave me are gone. It's a fast stable OS and I'm not looking back to XP any time soon.
Prosercunus said:
I like my Vista Ultimate 64bit, I am not about say it is better and more stable then XP because I would be lying.
johnsonlam said:
Honestly, lot of OEM license and most of them were overwrite by another copy of Windows XP, unlike the relation of Mac and Leopard, it's meaningless to give a "total" number.If 140 million copy was sold and being used, that's big news ... but I doubt not even 70 million copy in use.
Julio said:
As I have mentioned before, with its hiccups here and there Vista has been stable enough for me. And even when compared to OS X which gets so many good reviews out there, in my experience stability and compatibility are quite close when you are smart about what you do with your PC.The next step... I'm moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Vista in the next few weeks, I think it's time now that drivers are mature enough for becoming my main OS under a production environment.
windmill007 said:
Don't know where he gets those numbers from. No one I know uses or likes Vista. Some people just put up with it but I never hear the Love like I do with XP. Hey gates has to try....But in reality I bet its closer to 30 Million if that actually using and liking Vista.
jhill3d said:
techbomb06 said:
Look the problem with Windows Vista is the companies like Nvidia not releasing updates for their drivers fast enough for people to get used to windows vista. The fact is people are like kids if the toy isn't exciting enough they just go to the old one that was. Giving up on the one that is the better of the two. The only problem I have with windows vista is that every once in a while when I start up my pc my sound control is gone. If I reboot it it works great. The big problem with windows vista is basic edition which is like windows me. Should have never came out with it. Too unstable. I have never had a problem with XP or Vista, because simple fact I take care of my computer and don't do anything to cause it to crash. In other words I am one of the 140 million happy vista customers. Thanks Microsoft.
windmill007 said:
[b]Originally posted by jhill3d:[/b][quote]I see it's still fashionable to hammer MS and Vista. Vista is just fine and the 64bit version is even better. "Despite Vista struggling with the public’s perception.." The only public perception is coming from techy wanna be geeks (linux and mac fanboys) on the web who think they know something. Stop being such a cheap ass and upgrade dorks. Most of the "complaints" should be classified as a PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer)[/quote]I love Microsoft and there products. But sometimes even they don't get it right. Sometimes perceptions actually turn out to be true. I have friends who got new computers and gave Vista a shot but don't like it. I never told them Vista sucks they just figured that out for themselfs. Actually I'm not being cheap. Microsoft could pay me the $399 and I still wouldn't run it. Its just not worth the hassel. I live to be productive and fast not hand held like I don't know what I'm doing. I am Windows fanboy and have used them all. Vista is second to last in my book. I thought of trying Ubuntu which looks new and interesting unlike what I was hoping from Vista. Even the same and improved would of been better. Sorry but there are many people who feel the same way. Not everyone buys into the marketing and actually tryes something before they pass judgement. I consider Vista a newbie operating system and even the majority of them notice Vista and thats the problem and it's not for Vistas good looks either. Oh the computer doesn't have the problem Microsoft does ;)[Edited by windmill007 on 2008-05-09 11:16:53]
Badfinger said:
I thought the main problems with Vista are:Bloat: needs 3 gigs of RAM to run as well as a 2 gig XP machine.Compatibility issues with our old programs. Are those really BS, and just coming from non-techie types?Worst version of Windows, was Millenium Edition, I never used that one either. 8)I always give new Windows versions a long grace period: 6-12 monthsI'm taking a pass on Vista entirely, WHY? No clear cut reason to upgrade, give me one please. 8)The major negative, having to spend a penny on it and the hardware (RAM) to bring it up to quality speed according to that 3 gig rumor.An aside, what's with the cont'd version madness, and which version is top seller, I wonder, I'd like to see all the numbers, why do I get the feeling it's 139 million copies of Vista Home Edition OEM.Other major gripe: MS acting as big brother, trying to keep track of what WE do with their product(s) after purchase? Call an 800# if I change a major hardware component, are you ****ing kidding me? You staff people for that? DEEDADEE! How long is the hold time on that? I'm billing the ***** for my cell phone mins.Please tell me they stopped doing that BS. Vent over... 8)
fada said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]lol, whatever fada, maybe you shouldn't try to install vista on a 486 pc. =Pi'd be one of that 140 million and i love vista, best os i've used, xp was too unstable for me.[/quote]Sure...yeah...nice one, I'm a power user and this system is the biggest load of crap I'v ever come across!FACT! I'v never had as much trouble with any system in my entire life as I'v had with this crap! To all those who havent had bad experiences, your lucky!Me and the other hundred million people will,wether ye like it or not, continue to ***** and moan about it!'Cause it deserves every criticism that can be thrown at it!
jbs1951 said:
My condolences to all who bought customer data tracking Vista spyware OS. If not for the MS control and privacy invasion of Vista buyers, drivers and hardware problems, bugs and hassles, I might even try it out. XP is fine. If it is not, then why did they make in the fist place? Yep, the latest 'upgrade' for mo money. No, upgrade to Vista and make us more billions so we can hand over the profits to the EUA and outdate everything we made so far. New drivers, programs, hardware. Wow, there are new billions to made with the tools of the trade! OK, so how many copies of Vista can I put you down for, sir?