Windows 7 to be officially named... Windows 7

By on October 13, 2008, 6:57 PM
As the Professional Developers Conference approaches, Microsoft plans not only to discuss their currently code-named Windows 7 product but also to distribute a pre-beta version among attendees. Many have been wondering what the official name will be once the next release of Windows hits the streets.

In a quick announcement today on the company’s Windows Vista Team Blog, Mike Nash, the corporate vice president of Windows product management revealed what some already suspected: Windows 7 will be officially called… Windows 7. He went on to explain that the company opted to keep the '7' name for simplicity – as this is the seventh release of Windows – and because Microsoft doesn't want to come up with a new “aspirational” name that simply wouldn’t do justice to their goal of staying firmly rooted in the ideas of Vista while evolving and refining the operating system.

Personally, I like the fact that they are keeping it simple and I’m looking forward to learn more about Windows 7 in the coming weeks. So there you have it, what do you think of the ‘new’ name?

hamsteyr said:
sounds more of like something i'd got for.... unlike Vista. I like the simplicity in the name, but hopefully it does not only that in namesake but in the actual OS. I'm looking forward to it being a heavily fine tuned Vista so that i can jump straight from XP to 7.All eyes on 7 for me.
Julio said:
I like it, it's the OS itself that makes a name for the product not the other way around.
tengeta said:
Its better than going from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I'll say that much.
howzz1854 said:
[b]Originally posted by tengeta:[/b][quote]Its better than going from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I'll say that much.[/quote]LMAO!!!! what's next.... abonamal snowman.
skitzo_zac said:
[b]Originally posted by tengeta:[/b][quote]Its better than going from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I'll say that much.[/quote]I'm might buy a Mac just to run Snow Leopard as they are my favourite animals.Pffft, JK! As if I'm going to get a Mac.
BorisandBailey said:
Oh no--here come the ads. "Oh thank heaven for Windows Seven!"
TimeParadoX said:
[b]Originally posted by BorisandBailey:[/b][quote]Oh no--here come the ads. "Oh thank heaven for Windows Seven!"[/quote]Oh god... If they actually do that I'll have to send you $100 on your paypal.
osuebucks said:
Why is Open Source and Apple afraid of Micro$oft Windows 7?-Because 7 8 9...lol
camuss15 said:
[b]Originally posted by osuebucks:[/b][quote]Why is Open Source and Apple afraid of Micro$oft Windows 7?-Because 7 8 9...lol[/quote]I laughed......
phantasm66 said:
midgetmax said:
[b]Originally posted by phantasm66:[/b][quote]Its just Windows Vista with Microsoft Surface and a few other bits and pieces added... but why do I think it will get nothing of the frosty reception you guys gave Vista? [/quote]Those bits and peices they are adding are everything vista is missing. im anticipating this to be a very strong release of windows....i really hope anyway, im getting bored of xp...