Amazon cuts Xbox Live Gold subscription to $30

By on January 19, 2009, 4:01 PM
Recent price cuts have seen Microsoft extend its market lead over the Sony PlayStation 3 console. Now, the company is apparently looking to make the well established Xbox Live service more appealing to Xbox 360 owners, with a 40 percent price cut on a 13 month Gold subscription. The move, unveiled by Amazon.com over the weekend, brings the usual $49.99 price down to $29.97, or something like $2.30 a month.

The deal is expected to last only until January 31, and while many will argue that Microsoft should stop charging for the Xbox Live service altogether – like on the PC side of things – at the very least the new price will be much more tempting to gamers. Sure, Sony PlayStation 3 owners already enjoy free access to their Xbox Live equivalent, the PlayStation Network, but with 17 million subscribers and a wealth of online content, Microsoft doesn’t really have a reason to stop charging at the moment.

It remains to be seen whether the Amazon price cut emerges as little more than a temporary reduction or if Microsoft is testing waters here for cheaper subscriptions. Hopefully, it will be the latter. In any case, if you’ve been waiting to game online or need to renew your subscription soon, this is probably the best deal around.

Ultimate Load said:
"and while many will argue that Microsoft should stop charging for the Xbox Live service altogether – like on the PC side of things" is a war cry many have stated before. I would like the same attitude towards World Of Warcraft, which charges millions of customers to play while virtually every other game in that genre is free to play. Is the concept not the same?
howzz1854 said:
i like my xbox 360. but Xbox Live subscription is the biggest BS about the console. i used to pay for it, but i don't anymore. it's a completely bullshyt and i will only do again if there's a game out that i really wanna play with my friends, in which case at the most i usually just go out and buy a one month subscription. seriously... we're not in stone age anymore, you shouldn't have to pay "again" to play a game which you already paid for. things like this just keeps me from migrating from gaming on my PC than my Xbox. lets see... a game comes out. i can either buy it for $50 bucks on PC or $60 bucks on Xbox. i can either play online without being charged again, or pay AGAIN to play online. it's a no brainer.
tengeta said:
Julio said:
I don't agree with the model either, but at this point I don't see how it can return to free in the short term with millions of paying customers that not only pay for access but for every bit of extra content they download as well.
Supra said:
And I thought I got a good deal last Sunday @ Newegg for $38.99 shipped, DOH *slaps forehead*
howzz1854 said:
[b]Originally posted by tengeta:[/b][quote]Your acting like you have to buy a subscription every month to use a single game each time, which is 100% untrue.This is no different than Tivo, so get a clue.[/quote]apparently you're the one who's clueless. you DO NOT need a cable service to hook up a DVR. if that's what your cable guy told you, boy... i pity you. All DVR does is store the incoming video/audio and record/schedule them. you can get a DVR and still hook it up to over-the-air free digital HD channel broadcasts. it's only if you want the cable service you pay for it. even then, you don't need a DVR to get cable. Most cable companies want you to think that you can't get any HD channels unless if you go through them. with XboxLIve situation you need "both" (XBox console and XboxLive) if you want to utilize the full game which you already paid for. i don't mind paying for online downloadable shows/movies if i want to watch them because i have a choice, but they should just either make XboxLive free or factor the cost all together into the games you buy. But charging for a piece of game that you already bought is just a slap in the face. imagine if you already bought a ticket for a movie and one day they tell you that you have to pay for the seats to watch it.
complex said:
[quote] i don't mind paying for online downloadable shows/movies if i want to watch them because i have a choice ....[/quote]you have a choice to play your xbox purchases online, it's not a prerequisite to owning the game.You're all moaning like £40 is a lot of money for annual access. We get good content and a reliable service so quit moaning. You could always buy a PS3, but you won't and we all know why.
yukka said:
If you want to play your Xbox 360 games on a local lan or against a friend over the internet using a tunneling program for free then you can.I dont mind paying a bit for xbox live - its cheaper than any mmo I can think of. I buy a year for 40quid and it doesnt matter - its the price of a single game. For that I get a service that seems to be available all the time, has good features and decent updating service, decent bandwidth.. I dont see the problem.Yes I would like it to be a bit cheaper as that would entice more people to play it. I would not want it to be free as that wouldn't encourage MS to continue investing in it as much as they have. Its a two way road - we get good service and they continue improving the service.
viperpfl said:
JosVilches said:
[b]Originally posted by viperpfl:[/b][quote]I just checked the Amazon website and they are charging $42.79 for a 13 month subscription which already includes a $7.20 discount. Which comes to about $3.29 a month. Amazon must of changed it since you last posted this article, which don't surprise me with Amazon.[/quote]Yes, I just realized that... guess the offer is over a bit early. I've read that Walmart.com, Buy.com and Newegg.com all had similar offers the past few days but the price has since jumped back up.