Office 14 not coming in 2009, says Ballmer

By Justin Mann on February 24, 2009, 5:21 PM
Speaking to shareholders and the media alike, Steve Ballmer went on record today to talk about Microsoft's future. One of the most interesting tidbits of information that Ballmer disclosed was the current state of Office 14. The suite was expected for release later this year, even though Microsoft had never revealed an official roadmap. Ballmer dispelled that notion, saying that the suite would not be available this year.

Whether the Office 14 release plans have been affected due to further development going to Windows 7 wasn't made clear, though that's highly unlikely as for the most part there are separate development teams dedicated to each of those.

Ballmer also touched on various other topics, mentioning that Microsoft wants to retain a dominant share of operating systems in netbooks. He also admitted that IE is continuing to lose share, but believes that IE8 will turn that around. He mentioned they see both Apple and the Linux movement as competitors, and wouldn't be surprised to see Android-based PCs coming soon.

DarkCobra said:
nazartp said:
[b]Originally posted by DarkCobra:[/b][quote]So Steve Ballmer thinks that IE8 is going to reverse their admitted continued loss in market share in the world of browsers. Keep drinking the Cool-aide Ballmer.[/quote]Honestly, what did you expect him to say? "We suck"?
DarkCobra said:
You got it exactly! Before MS can reverse their slippage they first need to admit there's even a problem!
TD_Baker said:
I haven't even use Office 2007, so delaying Office 14 is no big deal to me as Office 2003 is more then enough for me, plus call me a oldie but I prefer the classic toolbar vs the ribbon any day
DarkCobra said:
I totally agree with you TD! The whole Ribbon thing took a lot of getting used to by me and I still don't care for it. The superior system was the one that allowed each user to place before them the pallet of tools they mostly use and in the location and order you prefer to have them. Under the current system, you've got to constantly go searching for your most used tools which can be spread out over multiple sections. I was just thinking the other day of reverting back to Office 2002 for just this reason.
gars said:
yep, that ribbon is confusing, so:[url=http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/]Show Classic Menus and Toolbars on Ribbon of Microsoft® Office 2007[/url]