Circuit City to close all stores on March 8

By on March 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Circuit City went under this year after it failed to find a buyer or secure refinancing under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January. The ill-fated retailer has since been running sales to move the left over inventory it was unable to sell before going out of business and, according to firms behind the liquidation events, that will all come to an end a week earlier than scheduled on March 8.

Circuit City will be shutting down all its remaining stores on that day, marking the end of an era for a chain that began operating 60 years ago, with Best Buy prevailing as the strongest electronics retailer while Walmart picks up steam in this market as well. It might be worth your time to stop by any of the remaining stores this weekend to grab whatever is left on the near-empty shelves as prices must be seriously slashed right now. The chain's Canadian counterpart will likely continue to do business in the region if a recently proposed deal with Bell Canada gets approved by regulatory authorities.

paulwuzhere said:
I was a firedog PC tech at circuit city here. Most fun job I have ever had. I am still getting over the closing of all ccitys. I will miss shopping there and working. A 60 year old american born company vanishing into the night taking with it 34,000 jobs. R.I.P
DarkCobra said:
Well I didn't know you but from just a lone customer let me express my thanks to you for all that YOU did. You and many thousands of other employees did nothing wrong. You are not failures. It was pure corporate foolish blunders that brought that franchise down. I hope you land on your feet somewhere else as there will always be a need for those with skills who can help others. Good luck in your future and again . . . thanks for all you did!
BlindObject said:
I was a Product Flow Team (Warehouse) member till yesterday...I'm gonna miss my "go-gets" and "loads" and trucks days now...=(
tengeta said:
I'm with DarkCobra, thank you tons! Circuit City was the reason I still went to physical stores myself. Now its all online from here on... Best Buy is just awful and they won't win me over because their competitor is gone. Their service is still absolute crap and I doubt its changing.
DarkCobra said:
Well said tengeta . . .
Julio said:
I'm surprised to hear you will miss Circuit City. I guess their quality of service and the store themselves varied enough from state to state. My experience with them in Florida was just awful, the stores were usually dirty (looked more like warehouses) and prices were higher than Best Buy's in the same area, which were also higher than online, and consequently tried not to buy anything there unless completely necessary.
DarkCobra said:
Way different experience in northern California. Stores were clean, well stocked and prices were great. Service was also very good. However, you have probably hit on the problem which was consistency. Unless, they could make all the stores good . . . trouble was bound to happen. The corporate folks also made a lot of bad decisions and when the economic crunch hit they blundered badly in too many things whereas Best Buy rode the storm better.
peacefulchaos said:
I was one that also did not have good experiences trying to find decent service or prices there, but I've been shopping online for the last few years anyway so this won't make me want to go to Best Buy for my electronics purchases. I still feel sorry for those that have lost their jobs over this though. I'm sure there were good employees I just never got the chance to meet. :)