Can Mozilla survive without Google?

By Justin Mann on March 12, 2009, 2:50 PM
Is Mozilla in danger of losing their biggest financial backer? The creator of the Firefox browser considers that a possibility. Currently, Mozilla sources nearly all of their monetary support from a partnership with Google, providing them with the top spot for searching, and in turn receiving a nice financial kickback. All in all, Google is responsible for footing nearly 90% of Mozilla's funds.

The reason Mozilla sees themselves in danger is due to Chrome. It's possible that due to Google pushing their own browser, they may not see any incentive to continue funding Firefox development. If Chrome usage rises to significant levels, Google may want to redirect their resources, after their three year contract with Mozilla expires in 2011. The search giant hasn't commented on any plans they have, though there's still a substantial benefit in working with Mozilla. After all, Chrome has yet to really take off and Firefox has a very large market share to play with.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that Firefox was not born with Google in mind and the browser will certainly not disappear should Mozilla suffer a massive revenue loss. A change in business, for sure, and it is also possible that development would be affected. Google may be king of search, but there are still other players, such as Microsoft and Yahoo and there's nothing preventing Mozilla from working with them as well.

BlackIrish said:
Yeah I can imagine the possibilites there...Microsoft Fire Explorer 1.0 bundled with Windows 8 - A true Google Killer :D
complex said:
i really hope it can, it's the only browser i like to use.
Serag said:
I think it can..and I hope it does..Can't imagine surfing without FF...
renevirp said:
Firefox is the best browser there is... it will survive!
avoidz said:
Who the hell uses Chrome anyway?
wesley1955 said:
Mozilla Firefox has always been the best browser (even from day 1) and the best minds in the world keep it improving. I love Google for searching, but I will not switch to a different browser if we lose Google. There is nothing to worry about.
siiix said:
shl0791 said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]why is anyone still using firefox is a mystery to me[/quote]does chrome have adblock? i won't switch until it has that addon. it makes for faster surfing, not having to load all those ads.
DarkCobra said:
Well as usual add me to the Fox Rocks camp. Any assertion that Chrome is better than the Fox doesn't even pass the laugh test and will be treated with the honorable ignorance it richly deserves.Now on to a possible MS Firefox alliance. Google has never been a dumb company but if they drop support/funding for FireFox this will be their largest blunder and potentially Microsoft's tremendous gain. The only remaining fear would be MS trying to fix what's not broken in FireFox (Leave it alone Ballmer!). I gotta admit a new fresh totally modern operating system from MS designed to utilize FireFox would be KILLER !!!
siiix said:
gobbybobby said:
Firefox is a better browser, I have never tried Chrome, but have tried Opera and Firefox one me over, thats without the add ons, The download manager letting you pauce most downloads is great, I think Windows should let you pick from a list what browser you want when you install it or on first boot up.
Gazzer11 said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]why is anyone still using firefox is a mystery to me[/quote]No mystery it's streets in front of Chrome:-)
boykov said:
Chrome MAY become a great browser...Firefox already IS a great browser...Cheers
windmill007 said:
Nice SPAM ^^^^ Anyways yeah people who don't use Firefox with ad block are the same people who wonder what the heck these pop ups are coming from when they don't even have there awesome browser opened up. All these browsers need adblock. When they finally wake up and realize people hate ads and commercials (think DVR) they might gain a larger market share. Until then FireFox will be the only browser for people in the know.
supersmashbrada said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]firefox has WAY to many features now, its SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW, i dont want adblock, i want speed and simplicity ,like firefox was at 1st[/quote]You ever think its your computer that's the issue, or maybe your isp? I've tested just about all the major browsers, and the only thing faster than firefox is safari. Still use FF though.
rey said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]are you kidding google chrome is at least as much better then firefox, then firefox from IE....firefox simply sucks in comparismentjust the basic how fast it opens up and how much faster content is coming up is incomparablewhy is anyone still using firefox is a mystery to me[/quote]I don't care if Chrome can make flying monkeys come out of the screen and cater to me hand and foot. Its just wrong for a search engine to put out its own browser. It is a conflict of interest, and I refuse to even try this hideous abomination. Firefox forever.
john_pulliam said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]firefox has WAY to many features now, its SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW, i dont want adblock, i want speed and simplicity ,like firefox was at 1st[/quote]Then you need to learn to tweak and customize FF, there's many plug-ins/addons that make the job insanely easy. Plus, by blocking ads, not only do you speed up the rendering of pages by at least 15%, you block significant routes for malware to download onto your machine, which by themselves contribute to not only FF slowdowns, but OS slowdowns as well.
siiix said:
ok my computer is not the issue, its not slow as broken we talk here about milliseconds or max up to 1.5 seconds, but that difference is HUGE in my eyes, in fact its about the same difference then firefox is faster from IE,.... i have no plug ins or addons at all in any of them besides the basics flashspeed/performance is a big issue for many of us, and firefox is increasingly falls behind, yet i cant use firefox 1.0 or 1.5 anymore because its not compatible with a lot of stuff, so might as well use chrome as it does exactly as i want a browser to do...just as firefox 1 didi would be more glad too if chrome would be developed by some unknown group of nerds and not a mega corporation, but i will not use a worse product just to worship mozila or boycott google or even MS
thousand said:
@siiix: I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript. I've been a computer addict for twenty years now. I've used countless browsers, Mozilla Firefox 3 in combination with Adblock Plus and NoScript is the safest for Windows users. It's better to choose safety over speed. Yes Chrome is faster than Firefox with default configuration, but if you do some tweaking, Firefox can be faster than Chrome. To test each browser on your system you can use the online tool called Peacekeeper.[url]http://www.getfirefox.com/[/url][url]http:/
www.adblockplus.org/[/url][url]http://www.noscript.net/[/u
l][url]http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.act
on[/url]If you want incredible safety and incredible speed, then change Operating Systems. I recommend switching to Ubuntu as it's the most well known version of Linux with the best support. The only reason not to use Linux is if you're a gamer, but even then you can get Cedega.[url]http://www.ubuntu.com/[/url][url]http://www.cede
a.com/[/url]
DarkCobra said:
@siiixUse whatever makes you happy. If Chrome works best for you then it's ok. However, I think as you can see from this thread that a very sizable majority just see it otherwise. Peace.
problem_far said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]are you kidding google chrome is at least as much better then firefox, then firefox from IE....firefox simply sucks in comparismentjust the basic how fast it opens up and how much faster content is coming up is incomparablewhy is anyone still using firefox is a mystery to me[/quote]Everyone who want's to use add-ons ? I prefer FireFox because it has a possibility of downloading themes and add-ons. Also the "Downloads" window is excellent, because you can copy the address for the download and you can cancel, pause and view all of your downloads at the same time.