Game publishers pressure Sony to drop PS3 price

By Justin Mann on March 16, 2009, 2:32 PM
Most of us are probably tired of hearing about alleged PlayStation 3 price cuts that never materialize. There is one group, however, that may seek to force Sony's hands: game publishers. Whereas Sony may be a stick in the mud when it comes to price, publishers are a different story. They don't really care how much the console costs, but rather if the platform is suitable for publishing on and worth the investment in getting a game off the ground. Because of this, it seems some publishers are putting pressure on Sony to axe the price of its console.

Still stuck in third place in terms of actual sales, Sony may risk losing development resources at large firms like EA, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard and more. Even though the number of PS3 exclusive titles is growing, the majority of them would be easily ported to the Xbox 360 something Sony shouldn't forget. Regardless of the extra functionality their console provides, a publisher still wants to see their game succeed and if sales on one platform dwarf sales on another, it makes simple sense to stick with the better-selling console. In the end, we might see Sony pressured into a price cut rather than doing one voluntarily.

TD_Baker said:
If the recession, global economic crisis, and low consumer spending is not a good reason to lower prices, then I don't think they will ever lower them...
TomSEA said:
Agreed TD_Baker. The marketing for the PlayStation 3 has been a disaster since day one. I think they're beyond the point of trying to make-up sales or accomodate game publishers by reducing the price of the unit. They're just too flat-out stubborn to consider it.
tengeta said:
Its strange that Sony isn't willing to collapse to the pressure when Microsoft has... they may be in trouble or something.
supersmashbrada said:
I have a 360, but not a ps3, I wonder why. Great find on the article. i spend thousands on my pc, but I dont see the point of paying 400+usd for a console that has few popular games and a blue ray player that i could get for 200usd.
je29836 said:
burty117 said:
[b]Originally posted by je29836:[/b][quote]Ok first of all the ps3 has sold only about 6 million less consoles than the sh!tbox 360 while it was released over a year later, hardly a failure. If anything Microsoft has failed by producing a faulty machine and eating over $1 BILLION in warranty returns. Secondly Sony has already reduced the price by $100! Plus a chance for the customer to get another $200 off. Check this out:[url]http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/events/Playstatio
CreditCard/index.html[/url]What the hell are you talking about Sony is in trouble? Don't believe the hype.[/quote]Then why are publishers asking them to lower price, no offence but ur argument is very PS3 fan boy, so therefore your believing the hype that sony tell you. Come on, publishers haven't ever asked for a console to lower price this gen except for the PS, does that not mean that the console is doing badly? and if the xbox is that bad then even though it has had that many break downs its STILL selling better than the PS3! LOL! thats actually quite hilarious now I think about it =)
x darthmonkey x said:
CreditCard/index.html[/url]What the hell are you talking about Sony is in trouble? Don't believe the hype.[/quote]Hardly a neutral viewpoint...I, having owned neither a 360 or a PS3 - but having played both extensively - must say that the PS3 poses no temptation to me. I simply see no feasible reason to purchase the unit (aside from MGS4).The 360 has suffered continuing hardware-related problems on more units than should really be allowed. While troubling, it's comforting to know that they make good on their warranty.The only alternative console is the Wii... fun for a party or something, but not my cup of tea.In the end, as much as I would prefer not to stick to a company headed by Steve Ballmer, I would choose the Windows PC Platform or the 360. I guess Microsoft got their grubby hands on me.
x darthmonkey x said:
Richy2k9 said:
Hello!I'm new to this forum, so first of all hello everybody and sorry if i make some mistakes.To react to this article, what i can say :- Why do we really have a Next-gen console war ?If i had enough money i would have all of them for various reasons and respective advantages.To be honest though, i have a PS3 and a PC. It already seems to me like having a PS3 + Xbox360 for the first one have exclusive titles i like and the second ones shares most with the PC platform.I shall consider this only on a developers point of view. Yes the PS3 is expensive compared to others. I don't know but it seems to me that this one has not been cracked yet, so no risk of my hard work to be pirated.In my utopia i would have a single machine to play God of War / Gears of War / Mario Kart and Sims ... :)Will you as a game developer choose a cracked/modified platform for exclusive release?Yet as a gamer, i think i will also love to have cheaper units with more games at a lower price. Quality is one thing! Quantity is another! Another question though - Is the number of consoles always equal the number of games sold? Or maybe for each and every modified versions sold - 10 thousand copies are distributed while only 1 thousand official sales is recorded.Time will tell, Sony please drop the price a little. Game developers beware as a good ROI would be to stick to a still crack-virgin platform.Cheers!
windmill007 said:
I use my PS3 as a media Hub. Love the Blu-Ray player, love the fact I can stream all my movies and even HD movies at that plus its quiet, and reliable. To me you can't get just a blur-ray player for that price let alone all the more it can do. Sure $399 is hard to swallow....but it does a lot for the money. The unit won't go mainstream till they get the price down around $249 which I don't think they can do.
windmill007 said:
Ya I agree.... The Xbox is doing so well cuz everyone had to buy another one or two when the break. So in reality the Xbox fan boys have paid more than the PS3 owners ;)
je29836 said:
[b]Originally posted by x darthmonkey x:[/b][quote][quote][b]Originally posted by burty117:[/b]Then why are publishers asking them to lower price, no offence but ur argument is very PS3 fan boy, so therefore your believing the hype that sony tell you. Come on, publishers haven't ever asked for a console to lower price this gen except for the PS, does that not mean that the console is doing badly? and if the xbox is that bad then even though it has had that many break downs its STILL selling better than the PS3! LOL! thats actually quite hilarious now I think about it =)[/quote]I agree, his argument screams Sony Fanboy...Or, he's trying to validate or justify his own PS3 purchase.[/quote]Or you're just an xbot fangirl trying to prop up that POS from microshaft. I mentioned facts so if you think being honest is wrong then I feel sorry for you.
yukka said:
je29836 are you serious? You call the Xbox360 the sh!tbox and expect to be taken seriously? the words "epic" and "fail" are heading in your direction if they can avoid the bullshit you are spreading in an attempt to not appear a complete prat..Anyway, I would buy a PS3. I already have an Xbox360. Its a first generation one and it hasnt died. I have good games which I enjoy and an online system that works well (for a small cost). Been playing games since 1980-something and i can recognise a shit system thanks very much.You cant argue that the PS3 rewards intense development while learning the new technologies involved to program the cell efficiently but this costs more money and in case you didnt notice (no guarantee since you sound "young" and therefore surviving on handouts from mummy and daddy) the world is a bit low on cash at the moment.It might not be enough to offer a machine for a larger initial spend. It doesnt entice casual owners. It will be interesting to see how Sony react and if the price drops then who knows - i might buy one.Does Blueray make you recession proof? Sony are going to be answering that question one way or another :)
gobbybobby said:
I have a 360 and a PS3, the price of the PS3 is not that high, I got my one free with my new mobile/cell phone contract, their are deals out there, and the price is under 300 for the 80 gig model, thats not too bad seeing as I just ordered a 500 PC. My Xbox cost 280 and that was the 20 gig model that has actually served me well only RRoD on me once, with no other problems. Why are publishers pressuring sony, Sony has been around longer than MS game studios, and the xbox, give them some respect, I say people are cheap, they are happy to spend 1000s on their PCs, if you bought an Xbox on release at the end of 05 and paid for xbox live the past 4 years you would have paid 160+ to play online. Thats how MS can afford to fix their faulty consoles. I remember the UPS guy saying I was his 6TH of the day! If you do not have a PS3, go get one! (no one has mentioned the WII yet, thats a great console 2, hey y not fork out 2000 on games consoles and top spec PCs.)
Richy2k9 said:
Hello!Woaa .. all i can see are fanboys' version of next-gen wars, still with some good exceptions.It's clear for me, as a PC/Console repair tech, I've seen more Xbox360s Dead to be scared, it raises the issue about the sales figure, as an Xboxfan, if my console dies i will go after another one!!!! I think someone already posted this - pays double for the same console & doubles the sales figures!!!!Well we'll never know!I'm no PS3 fanboy, i love quality, i can get it on my PC and with some PS3 exclusives, and not scared of any colour rings or screens on the latter!I have one good reason to own an Xbox: Online gaming ! (still not free)If i seek more, gears of war !I have one good reason to go for a PS3: Still not cracked (good for ROI - as a game developer!)Heuh, said one, how about : God of War3& GT5, LBP, MGS4, Killzone 2, Heavy rain (exclu or multi!?), etc ... Hey i forgot, i already have Gears of War - on PC :)No console is better than others, they have their pros and cons, yet it's a matter of choice, how much one can afford and game taste.Like said in my former post, i would love to have all in 1, yet it's all a commercial stuff.I would love to have a Ferrari, but don't have the road to drive it in my country ....Cheers!
semitope said:
If the ps3 got modded like the 360 has it would be selling like crazy. There is ntn wrong with the price its just buying enough games after thats the bother. .If u can afford 1-2 games u will likely not consider owning one worth it when u can buy a 360 and the couple good games on it and try everything else as well. A lot of ppl have bought the 360 solely cause it was a decent gaming console that could be modded, and have bought 2nds simply for that reason as well after rrod. Then M$ allows homebrew and supports it. Sony was a bit too much on drm i think with this one; ppl are selling their ps3s cause they have no use for it except playing the 1-2 games they have and watching movies.... 2nd hand ps3s do ntn for sonyWhether u want to admit it or not, piracy helps hardware sales. Up to the developers to give a reason to buy the game. Dunno how many games they expect each gamer to be able to buy.
Richy2k9 said:
Hello!semitope:You are right, if the PS3 was modded - may help boost sales!Good for SONY but bad for developersYet if i re-check the title it's the developers who wants to leave an uncracked platform to a modded one ... where's the logic !?It's not a matter of number of games, I have a PS3 + a PC - i don't have time to play on either systems.I have 10 games on the PS3 - ordered a few more (got only exclusives ones) - have some times during week-endsI have 50+ games (all originals) on the PC - no time to play though!I have friends who have 100s of pirated games on PS2 / Xbox / Xbox360 / PC & WII ... The only console really used is the WII - other games just keep rotting in their tower boxes(copies).This is not a next-gen war thread but about developers not realistic enough.There are la lot of great 8+ rated & 9+ rated PS3 exclusives titles, if someone doesn't know that it's just he/she didn't look well.Piracy may help the hardware sales but doesn't feed the developer's kids ... I pay for quality, yes i can afford it. So good for me, sorry for others (sorry for repeating)Cheers!