Windows 7 RC leaked to torrent sites

By on April 24, 2009, 6:30 AM
Update: Microsoft has officially announced release dates for Windows 7 RC. MSDN and TechNet subscribers get in next April 30th and public availability has been confirmed for May 5th.

It was bound to happen sooner rather than later, Windows 7 build 7100 which was unofficially declared the release candidate build has been leaked to torrent sites on x86 and x64 flavors. This comes just days after Microsoft posted and then retracted from its Partner Program website that the RC build was completed and was being distributed to its OEM partners, with a public release date set for next May 5th.

Regardless of whether Microsoft delivers the RC build officially that date or a week after during the Tech-Ed conference, you can feel less than guilty about downloading it from an unofficial source after numerous nightly builds of the OS have suspiciously been making it to torrent sites for the past few weeks.

Microsoft did confirm earlier on that the RC was coming this May and would be available to the public through June 2009 with no product key limitation. Further information about the changes from the previous beta to the RC were disclosed earlier this month. You may also want to check our guide on how to dual boot Windows 7 with your existing OS (Vista or XP).

skitzo_zac said:
Ithryl said:
[b]Originally posted by skitzo_zac:[/b][quote]I wan't to try out the RC after a positive experience with the beta (Build 7000). But I will wait until it is officially released to the public. Hopefully then my ISP will host the images (for both x86 and x64 versions) on the file mirror and I can download it unmetered from my monthly bandwidth quota.[/quote]Monthly bandwidth quota? Get a new ISP. Had no idea these restrictions still exist. :P
truthbringr said:
yukka said:
Are you suggesting its obvious it was eventually going to be linked prior to its official release? That would be true but I don't see the problem posting its actual release here - as this was the first tech site I visited today this was where I learnt of the leak..Maybe you mean that you knew in advance that it was to be released today in which case you are hopefully collecting a vaste sum of cash from the betting shop tomorrow?Maybe not eh?
Julio said:
I think the timing for this release is perfect for me to upgrade to an SSD drive on my primary workstation :D.@truthbringR You probably didn't read the intro that said "it was bound to happen sooner rather than later" - the thing about this post was timing as I caught this just a couple of hours after the leak got out in the wild and almost nobody had noticed yet (6:30 AM EST).
[-Steve-] said:
[b]Originally posted by truthbringr:[/b][quote]"Windows 7 RC leaked to torrent sites" -- wow shocking news. thank you captain obvious for that report. when can we expect the report on the sun coming up today?[/quote]Ohh boy what a bit of gold that is!On a brighter note well done for spotting that Julio, it is also the first I have heard about this leak.
kpo6969 said:
build 7100 RCIf you run 7000 now comparing it to 7100 is like night and day.If you run 7077 you may not see the differences, but they are there.Better driver support and compatibility under the hood.
Badfinger said:
Windows is always leaked, no matter how horrible or wonderful it is....M$ should just charge $50/yr to use the OS instead of these somewhat pathetic excuses for expensive money shot upgrades.Seriously, where's the actual NEED to upgrade?I'd rather pay the $50/yr for patches and use model then not understand down the road why I should pay $200+ for some version of the new OS, which they over flavor many different versions, of which the basic version always looks stripped down and pathetic.Am I wrong? (or just too early in the morning here in PST and I'm cranky on a Monday? ;))