AMD celebrates 40th birthday

By Justin Mann on April 30, 2009, 1:52 PM
The world's second largest manufacturer of x86 processors is certainly no newcomer to the industry, being younger than the number one chip maker by only a single year. As of tomorrow, AMD will be officially celebrating their 40th birthday since the company was founded. Initially setting up shop in Sunnyvale, California, AMD began as a manufacturer of RAM. This was very similar to their primary competitor today, Intel.

Much like Intel as well, they moved into the development of microprocessors within a few years, with one of their first big projects being the reverse-engineering of Intel's 8080. They've come a long way since then, and have consistently been the only company combating Intel on equal ground. Their success shows; open the hood of just about any desktop computer in the world, and it's most likely going to be either Intel or AMD powering it.

To celebrate turning 40, AMD is holding a series of product giveaways over the next few months, giving anyone the chance to win CPUs, GPUs and even gaming consoles. All in all, AMD will be selecting 80 people to receive gifts through several contests. The first contest will be for, interestingly enough, birthday videos. AMD will then be hosting another contest, this one soliciting pictures from its users. You can see specifics about what else they have in store here.

DarkCobra said:
Well I'm going to be brutally honest . . . I've never liked this companies product and have always been an Intel guy. Although, I have to admit they have done very well and if it weren't for them competing with Intel I'd probably still be using a '90's computer because Intel never would have pushed this far and this fast on their own . . . LOL!AMD actually was the best thing that could have happened to Intel and we all benefited from the competition. So in that respect I thank you AMD. Oh, and Happy Birthday!
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by DarkCobra:[/b][quote]Well I'm going to be brutally honest . . . I've never liked this companies product and have always been an Intel guy. [/quote]OMG! Screw U, DIAF!!! AMD's teh best!!!Hopefully there's many more anniverseries to come. Things have looked bleak on the AMD landscape for a while. I always tend to rute for the underdog, but they've got their work cut out for them if they're gonna stay in the game.
TomSEA said:
Ditto DarkCobra's comments. I've never used an AMD for my own PC, but have built a couple of lower-end models for friends using them and they worked fine. But if you really wanted the horsepower and all the bells and whistles, except for a couple of rare (and brief) occasions, Intel has been the way to go.But I'm very glad that AMD has been around to keep Intel honest and working to stay at the cutting edge.One thing about AMD is they do have a near fanatical fan base. Reminds me of Apple Mac users. ;-)
DarkCobra said:
LOL @ PanicX . . . Ok Ok . . . I bow to AMD!
Tekkaraiden said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]One thing about AMD is they do have a near fanatical fan base. Reminds me of Apple Mac users. ;-)[/quote]I'm not sure anyone can be that bad. :)
Burty117 said:
paulwuzhere said:
Happy birthday AMD, will always remember that 700Mhz Duron... and the Athlon T-Bird... and the Athlon 64... and... wow I have bought a lot of AMD CPUs throughout time, Hang in their so I can buy MORE!
DarkCobra said:
@ Burty117 . . . Oh I wouldn't say that ALL their products are better or cheaper. I can definitely deny that! Many are but not all. Nor will all their similarly priced chips always outperform a similarly priced Intel chip either. Some do, some don't. Still, I've had AMD stuff and it ain't bad. It is definitely the best thing that happened to Intel progress because without it Intel would never have done half of what they were forced to do! :)
supersmashbrada said:
[b]Originally posted by Burty117:[/b][quote]To be fair to those Intel fan boys that commented here. AMD do produce better cheap proccessors! you cannot denie that as I have tested. if you have 100 an AMD chip will out-perform an Intel any day! But It has to be Intel to the super computing chips! E.G. i7! amazing proccessor! anyway rant over. AMD! I sulute you! =)[/quote]This isnt true at all, where have you been since 2005. Intel has been on top since, and even amd's ran only started end of 2004 bfor then.Go look on Toms or Anand, I forget which one, but there's an article there comparing intels low end models to amd's at the same price range...Intel on top by at least 25%. And that's stock.Anyway, AMD happy birthday...again, keep making cpu's so I wont have to pay 2500 for my really good cpu. Just dont take suggestions from all of your fanboys. Clearly they dont know much...some of them.
Grimrocker said:
A very well celebrated birthday AMD, may you have many more such anniversaries and also close up the margins on Intel. Damn i would love to see the day when AMD finally beats Intel in all aspects...