Tip of the Week: Jumpstart your old Firefox extensions

By on July 22, 2009, 2:39 AM
While 3.5 has brought a boost in speed, Firefox isnít the fastest Web browser around. It isnít the most secure browser either, nor is it the most used. Firefoxís entire appeal is based on the fact that you can build it as you care to. More than any other, Firefox is customizable. That being the case, itís a bummer when major revisions come along and ďbreakĒ all of the add-ons you depend on.

Broadly used add-ons are usually prepared well in advance, and tested with beta releases. Unfortunately, many arenít updated right away and others not at all. Because we refuse to let our extensions die, weíre going to take a look at a workaround which may also work for you.

Continue reading our Tech Tip of the Week.

"Comparativily speaking, Firefox is the most secure and fastest Web browser, and its successes were largely because it is customizable . In addition, i also use this browser."

It's quite clear that you use Firefox, no need to mention that. Maybe you should try some other browsers so you can properly "comparativily" speak.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Firefox isn't the fastest Web browser around. It isn't the most secure browser either, nor is it the most used.

Up until now, I have always thought Firefox was the most secure.:o If you say it isn't, I have to take your word for it. Firefox probably was the most secure at some point, but maybe as it gained popularity, it lost that title.

Is it safe to ask which browser is the most secure?

syde said:

Even though I prefer the interface of Firefox due to the ability of being able to customize just about everything Google Chrome is currently the most secure Web browser in regards to security when it comes to default settings. However, however:

If you use these addons for firefox:

Adblock Plus

[link]

Noscript

[link]

with these 2 addons I find security amazing and you have the resources to control everything via browser control.

z0k! said:

is there a way to save ur library of extensions somewhere and then import it to a fresh copy of firfox,say another computer or after an OS reinstall?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

@zok! This is what you are looking for (we had considered it for a future tip because of its usefulness), FEBE add-on:

[link]

z0k! said:

many thanks!

Just beware the Rube Goldberg restore routine for that otherwise fin extension that FEBE is.

><(((į>

bwchato said:

been there,done that,and went back to Firefox

The profile restore function in FEBE 6.2 (http://customsoftwareconsult.com/extensions/febe/febe.html#
ebe6.2.0) has been re-written. It should now be much easier to understand and use. No need for the Firefox profile manager to get directly involved.

I really have to take exception with the comment that firefox is not the most secure, nor the most widely used. Where do you get your information? I know you're supposed to be the expert, but when firefox set the Guinness world book of records for downloads, I have to wonder where you have been for the last year?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Most widely used is still Internet Explorer by a wide margin. Most secure is open to dispute but in general terms Firefox is no longer considered the most secure given other more "obscure" browsers like Opera and Chrome.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Google Chrome is the last browser on my list I would consider the safest considering that Google is constantly watching over your shoulder, or is it my own personal feeling. Since this quote came from you, I tend to reconsider, where am I going wrong with my thinking?

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Any software that gains popularity also gains popularity with the 'wrong crowd' For example there is Adobe Acrobat, which has security issues, and then there is Foxit, which has none.