Windows 7 Ultimate cracked via OEM master key

By on July 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
According to a report from My Digital Life, Windows 7 Ultimate has already been cracked with the aid of a leaked OEM DVD ISO from Lenovo. The crack provides permanent instant offline activation and passes WGA with flying colors. The leaked ISO was posted and snagged off a Chinese forum, which allowed hackers to retrieve the OEM-SLP and certificate for Windows 7 Ultimate.

Redmond has updated the System-Locked Pre-installation (SLP) to version 2.1, which supports Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and provides backward-compatibility for Vista and Server 2008. The SLP procedure is used to pre-activate Windows for mass distribution by OEMs. Its latest version requires the BIOS SLIC table be updated, as it contains a new Windows marker. The trick is to mod a system's BIOS to include SLIC 2.1 which can be done via hard (physical) or soft (emulation) mods.

The original post gets more in-depth, and contains much more information. Naturally, the crack can already be found on various torrent sites. Im not about to preach right from wrong here, as you wont listen anyway. That said, if youre going to download Windows 7 from an unofficial source, at least verify your copy.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Very interesting.

It's barely released and already cracked.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...well that didn't take long.

viperpfl said:

LOL......I am sure Microsoft already has the heads up on this one. Microsoft will just disable the OS if someone tries to download updates. If someone wants to mess up there BIOS, more power to them. Didn't someone say at Microsoft that it's better to pirate from Microsoft rather than the other guy?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about, either that or I don't. But its basically like the XP Corporate keys, except even better because it also passes the Activation after install. So for the people that don't want to actually purchase the OS this is pretty cool, although Microsoft will probably just roll out a new key and blacklist this one.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Maybe we shouldall just buy our OSes outright. This way M$ won't be tempted to raise the price as punishment. If enough people install cracked copies of Windows, M$ may be forced to escalate the price of "Windows 7 Ultimate", up to and including your first born.

The Windows 8 pricing roll in will likely see an outright request for human sacrifice.

Actually, if M$ priced more reasonably, more people would buy-into the whole legalised OS game. Look at Snow Leopard, 29$ a pop. Its a no brainer. Come on M$, get your pricing down to the level where we users actually perceive it to be of value!

JDoors JDoors said:

Guest, in today's climate, even if MS charged fifty bucks for Windows (which they DID offer), some people would prefer, for various reasons, to obtain it through sources OTHER than official channels.

You can purchase a music CD for ten bucks or less, but music is stolen at an alarming rate any way.

ANY price is too high, and while free is good, stolen is better.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well now, if they did that, they could no longer be a smug, strident, and overbearing monopoly, now could they?

fastvince said:

The way I see it, I already paid 259.00 for vista ultimate so I should be entitled to a free upgrade! If I don't get it from MS for free, I might just look elsewhere.

I feel entitled to a free upgrade because of how useless VU was for me, after falling for false advertisement from MS about how great it was and all it could do. Also because alot of my software would not run on it.

It was like throwing my money out the window. I am sure there are thousands of other people who feel the same way!

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sorry, free support for your Vista, yes, free upgrade to Windows 7no.

That's why upgrade versions are cheaper. What you're saying is you want software for free.

"Why on Earth would anyone want to run a cracked version of your OS? Silly. You might as well go run your security suite and accounting software as pirated versions as well. LOL! "

Silly. It's not always "cracked". It's piracy. Some of them, many, are EXACT same as the one you paid, no mater it's an OS, , a security suite, or your accounting software.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's technically not 'cracked'. Huge corporations who use Windows have unlimited user license. If you have that key, nobody (even MS0 can consider it cracked. The only thing MS can do is disable that key over a certain time frame if they find it's in the wrong hands. In that case, you can only use it without connecting to the internet, which I even doubt you can install it without that connection anymore.

Unlikely that MS will disable this key as it is the master OEM key (which has most likely already gone to most manufacturers for install) and it would piss off a few million legit customers if they did, and MS would have no way of telling the illegal from the legal customers (other than asking for a Dell, lenovo, etc serial number and corresponding that back to the manufacturer's database... a huge and potentially illegal task by MS). Additionally, if you don't want to hard mod the BIOS via bin or other (which is probably dumb anyway since once you update the BIOS again the normal way, in order to support a new CPU or something, you've got to re-mod it or lose activation), you can so a soft (or Boot) mod which doesn't touch the bios, but fools Windows 7. Therefore, if you wanted to update your BIOS, no problem... soft mod keeps on working.

Way ahead of ya ;D

As well as... Well, just about every other piece of software in my machine.

Free stuffz.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Way ahead of ya ;D

As well as... Well, just about every other piece of software in my machine.

Free stuffz.

I suppose next you'll be over in our malware forums begging for help.

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I suppose next you'll be over in our malware forums begging for help.

Good one!

Notice how it's always the anonymous 'guest' users that are "lippy"

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Is Win 7 being cracked before it's public availability meant to be a surprise to anyone?

TBolt said:

Do you even know what monopoly means *****? Cause last time i checked there was many pc based os's available. So much for that monopoly theory hey.

Who's a "*****"?

As I do know what an economic monopoly is, MS certainly does fit the definition(s) due to their OS inarguably being the dominating computer operating system on the market. And yes, there are a lot of competing OSes available for PC and Mac users...but that does not mean they have any substantial and/or comparable market share. Also, just because a company is tagged as "having a monopoly" does not necessarily mean that it is wrong or illegal (although MS has had to spend billions in defense and fines related to some of their market practices - google their "embrace, extend, and extinguish" practice for example), it may just mean they provide the dominating service or product, which has general negative effects for the competition.

So before you come in anonymously Mr. Guest and throw around an insult, perhaps you should do a bit more research, hey.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

There so many wonderful "guest posts", sadly, this isn't one of them. This post in fact, really doesn't impress me as even coming from an English speaking country. Is there such a place as "Autismlandia"?

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't know so much about "Autismlandia" because it seems these people live in groups, and they're everywhere unfortunately.

That's for the upgrade Discs... Full thing is ~$125, I think.

Regarding 'autismlandia', please don't insult the million of autism sufferers out there.

Regarding 'lippy', some of us guests (I posted the 29$ remark) aren't 'lippy', we just don't post to forums that often.

Regarding monopoly, M$ is a de facto monopoly be any economic standard, not even a debating point.

Regarding illegally downloaded software, a bunch of people spent a bunch of time coding these apps. They have a right to put food on their table and a roof over their heads. I believe most illegal downloaders would soon be up in arms if their employers/clients decided to just not pay them, or give their jobs to a bunch of exploited illegal immigrants! The only debating point here is the price/value point of software. Like I said, get the price right, and more (not all evidently) people would buy and not steal. Another example, 99? for MS-Office - good value... >1000? for CS4 means I won't buy just yet, especially in light of an 18 month release cycle.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah, and they seen to be multiplying at an alarming rate. How about the ****** that have to have their face shoved in a "Game Boy" every waking hour? That seems like a symptom of some mental disease or defect So many new diseases have been "discovered" in the 21st century! Are they diseases of choice or convenience? Consider for example, "hyperactivity attention deficit disorder", and last but certainly not least my personal favorite, "restless leg syndrome". Pick one for your child, they're all good for a social security check. For AHDD, I always suggest quit jamming 60% refined sugar down the kids throat, take the violent video games off them, and don't buy them any guns. But what do I know? Go ahead and pump them full of Ritalin, so what if it can lead to meth addiction.

Besides, I wasn't insulting them anyway, I was insulting one particular "guest".

And yeah, "lippy" does apply to a lot of anonymous posters. But that's not what annoys me. What's really annoying is that they run their big mouths, and then when they get called on it, all of a sudden, their feelings are hurt. That, in addition to the fact they can't spell, write an effective sentence, or even conjugate a simple verb.

But I know that none of this could possibly apply to you, now could it?

Taken at face value, what's written here sounds like an admission that you don't know how to act in public. I'm sure that's not what you're trying to say, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you might like to consider rewording it for us.

Better still, join our group, and "sign in to participate".

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Some hilarious comments here that's all I have to say

Mictlantecuhtli Mictlantecuhtli said:

SNGX1275 said:

Microsoft will probably just roll out a new key and blacklist this one.

The problem with that is then all the computers activated with that key would have to be reactivated with another. On the other hand, the longer they wait to fix the more computers they'll have to fix.

Regarding the O$ price (it'$ $o cool not to u$e 's' , have any of you thought about how much/little it'$ going to co$t a day or a year if you u$e it daily for, $ay, five year$?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Captain cranky said:

i don't think it could have been said better...but that rarely keeps me from trying.

I just love you anonymous 'Guest's' that do this drive by rubbish, and then try to take the moral high ground by hiding behind a disabled or downtrodden group. I have an autistic child, and myself have been want to become a recluse in my own solipsistic homogenized bubble, and I was not insulted. so you may take some of the tremendous weight of those world carrying shoulders and know that you can relieve yourself of the burden....and get off my side.

kenm said:

Oh yeah, Apple never overcharges for its OS. Ver 10.0 = $129.00, 10.1=$129.00, 10.2=$129.00, 10.3=$129.00, 10.4=$129.00, 10.5=$129.00, Snow Leopard =$29.00. The only reason they dropped that price is that Win 7 is coming out about the same time as Snow Leopard, and I think Snow Leopard is only a minor upgrade from 10.5.

I guess thats not bad for people who don't mind paying for upgrades that are not even full version updates, or people that don't mind paying Apples premium price for the same hardware that you can get in any budget PC.

Leaked OEM Master Key, or nextgen M$ PR work ?!?

Think about it!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

OK, I realize you mean well, but as a whole, this is naive, idealistic nonsense.

The people who steal software will generate an excuse for doing so.

The people that buy software will give a reason for doing so.

individuals in those two demographics are unlikely to cross migrate, whatever the pricing incentive may become.

The story that,"I downloaded this game because it's too expensive", would quickly morph into, "I downloaded this game because it sucks too much to pay for", in the face of a substantial price drop.

As much as I hate to say this M$'s prices for an OS are actually reasonable when compared to other software. Adobe Photoshop CS4 is about 700 bucks. Their Acrobat Pro, is about three.

Well, I came home today from work thinking I'd join this forum as a signed up member, but actually I don't want to be part of a group of people who feel comments from guests are naturally subject to ridicule. I felt the autism comment was crass, I felt the lippy comment was too general, I also accept that some guests probably do hide behind their anonymity.

I still feel that fair pricing where a customer perceives real value (which IMHO doesn't seem to apply to M$) would reduce piracy. I also agree it wouldn't eliminate it completely because as someone said, some people will always feel they are entitled to someone else's intellectual property for free. I, as a consumer in the free world have a choice, and I choose to buy or use open source!

I made my point, I acknowledge and have assimilated the responses. On the whole, a good debate!

Now, all you smug account holders, why not give us 'guests' a good reason to feel it this is a worthwhile community to join!

(PS, I am the 29$ price point guy)

strategic strategic, TechSpot Paladin, said:

(PS, I am the 29$ price point guy)

You made your point, now I'll make mine... If you claim to be and truly are "the 29$ price point guy" and only "the 29$ price point guy", there is no reason you should be offended by anything. We 'registered users' know our own comments and can't hide behind them. I've been a user here long enough (although active within a month, I've always visited) to see that only the 'guest' users are arrogant since they feel they don't need to follow the guidelines of the forum.

That being said, if you're not an arrogant 'guest' user and want to separate yourself from them, register, if not, we can't assume a difference between one or the other. There is a lot to be learned on this forum and a lot of registered users who appreciate that and show respect. If you like what you see on this forum, and want to separate yourself from the arrogant guest, do so, if not, don't. One thing I would like to see banned on this site are guest users being able to post, because they ruin the friendship we have here for all.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Barack Obama said on camera that he had done something stupid, and that that had made him feel "like he was a special needs person". I thought it was a quite funny, self effacing way of saying, "I goofed"! Of course the "special needs, special interests" got a hold of that and all hell broke loose. So, you can feel however you choose about the "autism" comment. For my part I'll tell you how I feel about it. Mental ilness is certainly not funny, when it it used a a device of ridicule toward those who suffer from it. But, I shall continue to make any form of mental illness a pathway to insult, if I believe person is sound of mind, and acting contrary to the credit I've already afforded them, for expecting that that person is sound of mind and should be behaving so. So IMHO, someone is actually innocent of stupidity or mental defect, until proving themself otherwise in my assessment. The trouble is, with certain posters, it doesn't take but one shot to change my mind.

I said that, or somethng very similar. I just hold a far dimmer view of human nature than you do,which BTW, I think I'm entitled to, do to my extended experience of dealing with them. I'm likely older than you, and to quote a Carrie Underwood song, "the more boys I meet, the more I love my dog".

I find contensiousness stimulating. What a boring place to visit this website, if all of us sat around with the exact same opinion on every subject. The reality is, that if someone issues a different viewpoint, it forces you to re-eva,uate your own, and that can never be a bad thing

(PS, I am the 29$ price point guy)

Exactly do you you think you are, to make such a sweeping gereralization about the membership? Why, I think I've been insulted. That said, you couldn't have done it right, or I'd know I'd been insulted!

Point 2; Our red carpet is at the cleaners. I can't think of any tangible reason to pander to guest posters. You knew you had a view to express when you "rang in", and you also knew beforehand that others didn't agree with you.

If you decide you'd like to join the fray, by all means, roll up your sleeves and dive in.

But, be aware that there is no Techspot membership designation as "martyr". I've already suggested you join. That's as much of an invitation as you're likely to get.

Forensic debate is what it is, and opinions expressed are just as likely to be embraced as to be ridiculed. So, the question really isn't one of us pandering to you to join the fold, but are you ready to grow a pair and dish it out it return.

Just as an aside, the post that elicited the "Autismlandia" comment, contained the phrase, "didn't worked"! How exactly would anyone expect to have themselves taken seriously with English syntax like that.

Since words are the only vehicle for opinion in a written forum, it occurs to me that it might be in order to exhibit some respect and reverance for the tools of the trade, as it were.

This is why Apple doesn't bother putting a serial or activation code into OS X. There will be a group that will also go around and another group that will always buy the software. Why not accept to reality instead of fighting it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Because then we'd have nothing to argue about silly!

Algoz Algoz said:

Thereyou go, I did join, and I look forward to further excellent debates. I have taken no offence at anything posted here, in fact, I have enjoyed reflecting on my position, and with Win7, it comes to this.

I installed Win7 Beta, and RC1, and found it to be superior to XP and (my limited knowledge of) Vista. I am appalled that there is no upgrade path from XP to Win7 (did I get that right?), and will consider whether M$ pricing this side of the pond is of a level where I will buy. I will not install a pirate copy though. I should point out that my Win machine is not my main machine, I am a Mac (and to some extent Linux) user. I will happily pay 29$ for Snow Leopard.

Onto the wider debate regarding the people who pirate, maybe I am nave and have not been as exposed to that demograph as much as others. But I experienced some who have used pirated software, and who have been on the receiving end of some pretty nasty malware. In all cases, the pirated software was MS-Office, and in >90% of the cases have convinced those individuals to go the OpenOffice route successfully! However, I would welcome other users knowledge/experiences of this (maybe through my user email and not on this topic). Thanks.

and whats wrong with running pirated everything...?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

and whats wrong with running pirated everything...?
Just for the sake of argument let's speculate; say for example software engineers start losing their jobs due to poor sales, then in not being able to afford to buy cars, the autoworkers start losing their jobs, because nobody 's buying cars, etc....

If at some point in your life you could have intellectual property which you might depend on for income, say for instance photographs, and then you see somebody else using them on their website to lure business, without paying you for using them, you'll know the answer to that question, without having someone tell you. Maybe you'll write some songs, publish an album, don't expect to make any money off that either. Would it be all right with you if I just grab a copy for free off Limewire? How about you write a great program, like say maybe a great game, then what?

Copyright violation through digital means is stealing, not because I say so, because the DMCA says so, practically worldwide. So, the moral discussion is entertaining, but moot.

Now, open source and freeware is quite another issue. If you can satisfy you needs through these venues, more power to you. It doesn't make sense to pay Symantec for AV software, when you can get a better product for free. That's on Symantic, they'll have to come up with something better to convince you, you'd be better off paying for their product, than keeping the free stuff.

In modern times people have developed an exaggerated sense of entitlement, and it appears that we can't tell the difference between what's mine, yours, or theirs.

If none of that fails to move you, you can always rationalize any theft of product or services with "The Robin Hood Theory". It doesn't make it right, but it squelches some of the guilt.

BTW, this site does have a policy of not allowing any technical discussions or methodology with respect to software cracking, or copyright circumvention, just FYI.

Algoz Algoz said:

captaincranky said:

and whats wrong with running pirated everything...?

Maybe we start a discussion on how much we think Win7 is worth. I'll kick off... A single version (not home, ultimate, basic, whatever), for a single user - 49?. Family pack 99?.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

This is the first time in a long time I've been unable to stop reading comments on a story - especially for one with this many posts. A great and entertaining debate/conversation going on here. Glad you joined us Algoz and hope you stay active and don't mind dissonance. As CC said earlier, it forces you to re-evaluate your own views and I appreciate that.

TBolt said:

Anyway, regarding $29 question about how much we think Win7 is worth, I'll attempt to put things in perspective a bit just to generate thought:

At a current price of say $200 for an OS (give or take), lets estimate conservatively you will use your computer with that OS for about 6 hours a day, 365 days a year. Again, conservatively lets say you will use that PC/OS for 5 years. The cost to you for that OS becomes less than 2 cents per day. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me

Oh yeah, welcome $29/Algoz

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

OK, up front this is a bit of a stretch, but bear with me. ATM an OEM copy is a $100.00 (give or take). So if you BYOPC, and use it along the lines of your estimate, that would break down to a penny a day. People throw pennies in the street and/or don't even bother to pick them up. That said, if you could find and save one a day, after 5 years, you'd have enough saved for Windows 8, or obviously your old OS for free. Even if you didn't do this, a penny a day is still a steal, pardon the pun.

People loose sight of the value of software well, because it's not hardware.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The reason SL is so cheap is because it is basically an optimized Leopard with a few visual tweaks, Quicktime X, and dropped PPC support (which is probably how they optimized and shrank it).

But really thats about how 7 is to Vista, so I think 7 is worth about $29 to me, I might be willing to allow someone to convince me up to about $50 because that is how much the minor upgrade (some will argue how much of an upgrade) from 98 to ME cost, it was called a Step-Up version.

I do like the Family Pack idea for $150, I think that has been confirmed. The problem is I only have 2 PCs capable of running 7, and everyone else in my family either has a machine too underspec'd for 7, or is using a Macintosh.

TBolt said:

SNG you could always buy the family pack of 3 for $150, sell the extra copy for $92 and effectively bring the cost of the two you keep to BAM...$29 each.

(puts pinky to corner of mouth and says "hmmmm"

Mictlantecuhtli Mictlantecuhtli said:

While I wouldn't mind that Vista Ultimate users would get a free upgrade, I'll probably buy the retail 7 Professional or Ultimate this time as well. I'm going to wait until next year though as RC works fine.

r8bwp said:

"Pirating is still stealing!

Stealing is not socially or morally acceptable in society!

(if you think its acceptable go to somalia and be kidnapped, lets see how "cool" it is then)

The fact that you do speaks volumes!

Jumping on the bandwagon and pirating because lots of other people do does not mitigate your actions but shows more about the person and character you are.

So like a good lemming follow the pack as we all know where that ends!

TJGeezer said:

Do you even know what monopoly means *****? Cause last time I checked there was many pc based os's available. So much for that monopoly theory hey.

Haha Captain Cranky always wins.