Acer aims to ship over 40 million notebooks in 2010, may surpass HP

By on October 29, 2009, 5:01 PM
Acer is quickly striding toward its goal of becoming the number one PC vendor worldwide, aiming to ship more than 30 million notebooks this year, and over 40 million next year. Acer's strongest competitor at this point is HP, which currently holds the top position for units shipped, and is also forecasted to move 40 million or more notebooks in 2010. Both companies are expected to further trounce Dell in shipments.

Acer's performance for the fourth-quarter of 2009 is somewhat uncertain. The company originally planned for shipments to grow 10% sequentially, but component shortages may affect that. Despite its efforts to prepare for shortages, Acer says supplies of optical drives, panels, hard disk drives, and graphics chips are running thin. Even if Acer lands a bit behind target in the last quarter, the first three quarters were better-than-expected, so the company will meet shipment goals for the year.

In only two years, Acer has doubled its annual notebook sales from 15.4 million in 2007, which is mostly attributed to its success in the netbook segment.

PUTALE said:

go acer. I think acer needs to beep up its customer service if it wishes to take over other big players. They do have some decen tproducts at decent prices but their support and product quality sometimes is not consistant comapre to other big players.

r3claimer r3claimer said:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the company gaining ground so fast. Like PUTALE said, if they are going to keep expanding, they'll need to beef up customer service. However, I've seen bigger companies than Acer fail with their customer service. (Pointing over there at you Dell...)

treeski treeski said:

I don't doubt that they can do it. I know a number of people with Acer laptops. Might get one myself next year.

buttus said:

I am an Acer fan and it's great seeing them do so well. However, this has as much to do about Dells fall as much as Acers rise.

Obakemono said:

See, compition is good for the consumer, IE lower prices but they will need to follow though with good customer support and products that do not suffer major failures or recalls.

kafaak said:

I used to dislike Acer. I had very bad experiences about its laptops. But, you know what, I am using Acer's netbook - the AspireOne - and I like it. Now it's one brand I usually recommend to my friends.

I am glad that Acer is working well on their market.

tonylukac said:

I recommended several Acer desktop purchases in my pc business.

lesajm said:

They have decent prices and I see them being sold on places like QVC quite often. I have no first hand experience with Acer because they are fairly new on the sceen. I remember hearing that they bought out some other company. The details have slipped my mind for the moment.

zaidpirwani said:

Here in Pakistan, we don't have any official Acer dealer, so either it is off to HP or Dell, Acer needs to increase its market availability in more countries, its notebooks and netbooks are better and cheaper, so why not make them available at more places....

ken777 said:

That's a pretty impressive number. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of 30-40 million to see how many are netbooks vs higher-end, higher-margin laptops. They might overtake on sheer volume, but not in revenue or profitability.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Here is a recent breakdown of the market as a whole (as opposed to just Acer's sales): [link]

anonemus said:

Makes me curious as to who owns Acer. Are they related to Asus?

BlindObject said:

I'd choose HP over Acer, I had one Acer desktop and it didn't last long...and they support wasn't nice or helpful. But my HP still kicking as a server.

Jibberish18 said:

Well now. They must be feeling good...Acer I mean. Good enough to give a certain site a 11.6" Aspire One to hand out to one lucky person.

Razerblade said:

I must say i think Acer laptops are quite good for the amount you pay form them. I would have an acer over HP anyday as i know quite a few people who have had problems with HP!

freedomthinker said:

So Acer is finally stepping up its game ? Heh , good work i should say , but we will see in the near future .

Puiu Puiu said:

I've been pleasantly surprised when i bought an acer laptop when i compared it to other more expensive ones performance wise (although it could use an better graphics solution - intel 4500m isn't very good). The most important part is that it has really good wireless reception. I've seen very expensive HP or Dell laptops having problems connecting to an wireless network and my cheap acer had no problems at all. It's the reason i also recommended it to my friends.

swilllx2p said:

I would never buy an HP computer ever, I don't care how good of a deal they put out. As for Acer, good for them! I personally really like what I see in the Asus laptops though. As another person said...are they related companies in anyway?

nyred said:

I bought an Acer laptop a few months ago. The other brands were much more expensive. I also have an Acer LCD monitor that Ibought about 4 years ago. I've heard some bad things about their customer service, but I haven't had the need to contact them yet.

fida1989 said:

Quantity is fine.But Acer should also concentrate on Quality.

fref said:

Way to go Acer!

All my laptops (4 I think) have been Acers, and I've been happy with every one of them. I tried once switching to Toshiba because there was a good deal going on, and I ended up returning it because the keyboard was so bad. The keys sounded like an old typewriter, and some of the symbols on the (black) keys were dark red or blue. I don't know if anyone at Toshiba ever bothered to test their machines in a darker environment, but you can't get any better than white on black, guys...

fref said:

Oh, and I've dealt with their customer service a few times as I have a business selling computers, and I have to say I don't know what people are complaining about. Every time I contacted them, my problem was fixed promptly and without any complication. They even paid shipping back to them on a few occasions! I have no complaint at all with their customer service.

pioneerx01 pioneerx01 said:

I think Acer should really invest into tablet laptops. I am really looking for some slim down (no CD/DVD) SSD long battery life, ultra thin Tablet.

InsaneVr6 said:

I have never been a fan of HP. For some reason whenever I talk about Acer to somebody they like to change the name with 'Ricer', which is stupid to me.

I am proud to own an Acer monitor and I recommend them to anyone looking for a bright, clear screen. Their computer's are (based on my limited testing of two machines) just fine, where my HP experiences left me with a BSOD and then another that was slow right out of the box.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

HP will never lose top spot, acer is doing really good right now because there shipping alot of affordable laptops, but I feel that HP with all its money and "quality" will find a way to stay on top. Acer can blow away 2nd place and take a far lead but 1st place...prob not. If HP made more affordable laptops, acer would prob lose alot of money from there notebooks.

namesdontmatter said:

Wasnt Acer's netbook the number one netbook in market share? If there's someone who can take on HP is Acer. It's not that difficult to beat HP in quality, but it is on sheer numbers of units sold.

SUSHRUKH said:

aestarvirus said:

everybody is talking about sales and how to maximize the annual size but i hope that they are also gaining consumer satisfaction out of it.

our 2 months old pc back home in philippines is an acer one and it is often got repaired and even reformat due to uncertain breakoffs of some parts. i'm not saying that acer is not good, but what i am pinpointing at is i hope alongside with their success in earning large of sales, they also consider the quality of their product.

samething with hp, my professor in IT would not even recommend me to buy an hp laptop for he said, according to his own experience, the performance is not that efficient.

i hope they will also realize this facts...

guyfred26 said:

I have own acer for almost 3 months now. I have some problems with wireless and I have to send it for repair 3 times and they have replaced the motherboard to solve the problem. But in over all it is a good laptop. I sometimes keep it running for 2 weeks straight and it did not hang on me eversince.