Acer aims to ship over 40 million notebooks in 2010, may surpass HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Acer is quickly striding toward its goal of becoming the number one PC vendor worldwide, aiming to ship more than 30 million notebooks this year, and over 40 million next year. Acer's strongest competitor at this point is HP, which currently holds the top position for units shipped, and is also forecasted to move 40 million or more notebooks in 2010. Both companies are expected to further trounce Dell in shipments.

Acer's performance for the fourth-quarter of 2009 is somewhat uncertain. The company originally planned for shipments to grow 10% sequentially, but component shortages may affect that. Despite its efforts to prepare for shortages, Acer says supplies of optical drives, panels, hard disk drives, and graphics chips are running thin. Even if Acer lands a bit behind target in the last quarter, the first three quarters were better-than-expected, so the company will meet shipment goals for the year.

In only two years, Acer has doubled its annual notebook sales from 15.4 million in 2007, which is mostly attributed to its success in the netbook segment.

Permalink to story.

go acer. I think acer needs to beep up its customer service if it wishes to take over other big players. They do have some decen tproducts at decent prices but their support and product quality sometimes is not consistant comapre to other big players.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the company gaining ground so fast. Like PUTALE said, if they are going to keep expanding, they'll need to beef up customer service. However, I've seen bigger companies than Acer fail with their customer service. (Pointing over there at you Dell...)

I don't doubt that they can do it. I know a number of people with Acer laptops. Might get one myself next year.

I am an Acer fan and it's great seeing them do so well. However, this has as much to do about Dells fall as much as Acers rise.

See, compition is good for the consumer, IE lower prices but they will need to follow though with good customer support and products that do not suffer major failures or recalls.

I used to dislike Acer. I had very bad experiences about its laptops. But, you know what, I am using Acer's netbook - the AspireOne - and I like it. Now it's one brand I usually recommend to my friends.

I am glad that Acer is working well on their market.

They have decent prices and I see them being sold on places like QVC quite often. I have no first hand experience with Acer because they are fairly new on the sceen. I remember hearing that they bought out some other company. The details have slipped my mind for the moment.

Here in Pakistan, we don't have any official Acer dealer, so either it is off to HP or Dell, Acer needs to increase its market availability in more countries, its notebooks and netbooks are better and cheaper, so why not make them available at more places....

That's a pretty impressive number. Would be interesting to see the breakdown of 30-40 million to see how many are netbooks vs higher-end, higher-margin laptops. They might overtake on sheer volume, but not in revenue or profitability.

I'd choose HP over Acer, I had one Acer desktop and it didn't last long...and they support wasn't nice or helpful. But my HP still kicking as a server.

Well now. They must be feeling good...Acer I mean. Good enough to give a certain site a 11.6" Aspire One to hand out to one lucky person. ;)

I must say i think Acer laptops are quite good for the amount you pay form them. I would have an acer over HP anyday as i know quite a few people who have had problems with HP!

I've been pleasantly surprised when i bought an acer laptop when i compared it to other more expensive ones performance wise (although it could use an better graphics solution - intel 4500m isn't very good). The most important part is that it has really good wireless reception. I've seen very expensive HP or Dell laptops having problems connecting to an wireless network and my cheap acer had no problems at all. It's the reason i also recommended it to my friends.

I would never buy an HP computer ever, I don't care how good of a deal they put out. As for Acer, good for them! I personally really like what I see in the Asus laptops though. As another person said...are they related companies in anyway?

I bought an Acer laptop a few months ago. The other brands were much more expensive. I also have an Acer LCD monitor that Ibought about 4 years ago. I've heard some bad things about their customer service, but I haven't had the need to contact them yet.

Way to go Acer!

All my laptops (4 I think) have been Acers, and I've been happy with every one of them. I tried once switching to Toshiba because there was a good deal going on, and I ended up returning it because the keyboard was so bad. The keys sounded like an old typewriter, and some of the symbols on the (black) keys were dark red or blue. I don't know if anyone at Toshiba ever bothered to test their machines in a darker environment, but you can't get any better than white on black, guys...

Oh, and I've dealt with their customer service a few times as I have a business selling computers, and I have to say I don't know what people are complaining about. Every time I contacted them, my problem was fixed promptly and without any complication. They even paid shipping back to them on a few occasions! I have no complaint at all with their customer service.

I think Acer should really invest into tablet laptops. I am really looking for some slim down (no CD/DVD) SSD long battery life, ultra thin Tablet.

I have never been a fan of HP. For some reason whenever I talk about Acer to somebody they like to change the name with 'Ricer', which is stupid to me.

I am proud to own an Acer monitor and I recommend them to anyone looking for a bright, clear screen. Their computer's are (based on my limited testing of two machines) just fine, where my HP experiences left me with a BSOD and then another that was slow right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back