Windows 7's share climbs some 40% during launch week

By on November 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
Windows 7's market share climbed almost 40% in the week following its release, according to research outfit Net Applications. During the week after October 22, market share of Microsoft's latest operating system jumped more than 39% from 1.91% to an average of 2.66%. That growth doesn’t appear to be slowing either, rising another 82% to a peak share of 3.48% on October 31. For the entire month, Windows 7 finished with a market share of 2.15%, a 41% increase over the 1.52% for September.

Overall, Windows' share fell by .23% globally to 92.52%, while Apple's Mac OS X consumed the majority of that loss, gaining .15% and finishing the month at 5.27% -- its highest share ever. Windows XP experienced a .92% loss during October, falling to 70.6%. Meanwhile, Vista rebounded from September, when its share dropped for the first time in over two years, ending the month with 18.77% -- still less than its August record of 18.8%.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

After Vista, and many XP users (An OS that had a lot more than 10 years), it was just about time Microsoft released a good OS as W7.

Other than a lot of hard disk space difference the requirements are pretty standard to cheap and actual computers, even netbooks with stock ram (1gb) can run it (I know, I'm using it =) ).

kodrutz kodrutz said:

That's awesome - I really hope I'll feel comfortable with W7. On my machine (X2 4000+ Brisbane@2.4GHz/2GB ram) Vista works like a charm, but it simply doesn't feel as natural as Windows XP. With XP, it's just like lying in your small pool in the backyard, and Vista feels like taking a bath in a small bath tube with your socks on...

buttus said:

It's good to finally see some positive news about a Microsoft OS. With all the Vista bashing that has been going on 3 years now I am sure Redmond is breathing a sigh of relief. I am moving to Win 7 from Vista Ultimate in December after I purchase my new 5850 video card.

ebolamonkey3 said:

I'm using 7 and I love it! It really is what Vista should have been.

gamingmage said:

Windows 7 is exactly what people to need to regain their faith in microsoft. However the problem is that many people lost their faith with vista and are still using xp. The biggest downside to this in my eyes is that you have to wipe your hard drive and lose all your data, unlike a simple Vista upgrade. Hopefully 7 only gets better as time passes with updates and the like.

freedomthinker said:

Well seems , that Windows 7 is gaining ground . That's good personally to me . I always have friends that have some problem with Vista or XP , and always ask me to fix it . But in overall , Windows 7 will continue to grow thankfully. Its time for a change . But i always have something in my head that Microsoft will find some way to screw up again, hope that dosen't happen though :/ .

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

kibaruk said:

Interestingly, upgrading to Windows 7 freed up about 8GB from my existing Vista installation.

lynxon said:

Well, considering that 7 is the, general use, best OS out right now I'd say it deserves it. Like others have said, it really is what Vista could have, and should have been.

LxTrix said:

Not surprising i'm sure Windows 7 will continue to expand as businesses are picking it up.

jurrasstoil said:

I have to say, that Microsoft's marketing for Windows 7 is pretty damn good at the moment. This combined with a OS that is actually good and the share climbs are no surprise. I think I haven't heard one bad word about Win 7 so far.

MBK MBK said:

I rekon this probably has a lot to do with the all the marketing deals they are offering, the student deal (£40) and they windows party thing (free ultimate). Especially since most students were shifting to apple.

I really like windows 7, the disk space and memory usage (though I still have many of the options turned on) are a bit of an issue, though my PC is pretty dated now...Still, lots of nice features, really liking the libraries, even though most of them link to single folders, it gives me shortcuts while keeping my desktop nice and tidy.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

I beg to differ:

Hosting your Windows 7 Party

Souljacker Souljacker said:

Ok yes, that's cheesy, but it's building up a fuss and getting the word out there, and it seems to have worked.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I put Windows 7 on a 2 yr old computer, I checked Device Manager and not one device needed drivers. My printer didn't even need drivers. Windows 7 looks a nice as Vista, runs quick as XP and has better security than both. UAC isn't even a problem now. And the new tweaks here and there really add up. Some of them have me wondering how I've lived this long without them. Like being able to drag to a position in the timeline while watching a video or a recorded TV show - that just seems like a no brain'er, but Vista couldn't do that.

About the only complaint that I have for Win 7 is the default wall papers are just "Meh." Seriously, there's that little to complain about. Win 7 just rocks!

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

Sorry to derail, but it just annoys me when people down-play Vista the way they do. I don't mean to burst your bubbles, but Vista was a very good OS. The problem it faced was that the components you needed to be able to run it well enough were more towards the higher end of the spectrum.

The only reason that Windows 7 is receiving as good a reception as it is now is because the standards for PCs have changed. Instead of most people running single-core computers, and a gig or two of RAM, now people are running dual cores and several gigs of DDR2 800 and above. Did you forget? Those were the requirements Vista had. They just released Vista too soon.

Windows 7 pretty much IS Vista. Again, sorry to burst your bubble. But the truth is the truth. 7 is Vista just SLIGHTLY tweaked. Not even by much. The interfaces are practically the same, the inner workings are mostly the same. The system requirements are virtually the same just minimized a little bit.

Had Vista been released a little bit later on.......say...now?...then it would be doing just as well as 7 is. I personally liked both operating systems. I'm running 7 at the moment because it's where the market is moving and I wanted to try it for myself. It's good to see their stock going up too I suppose. There's really only one thing that's been said that I agree with. And that is that 7 rocks.

Their driver support isn't quite yet what it should be though in terms of modern components. For instance, my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE soundcard found very little in the way of support from Windows 7. I had to go online to find a work-around that had been made to get the OS to play nice with it. I still experience problems with it despite the work-around. In many cases I have to, strangely, switch from 7.1 to 2.1 or to Headphones settings in order for things to sound best.

elroacho72 said:

Vista may have come out to soon but not for the people waiting for a 64 bit OS. I did like Vista but I love W7. Any good numbers W7 puts up won't surprize me.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Alot people see success in Win 7 becuase they actually did it right and they know people(XP, Vista) users are going to go out and buy themselves a copy to. I persoanlly have Win 7 and say it feels alot lighter and less cluttered than vista, def upgrade!

ken777 said:

Windows 7 is great. At this rate, it'll overtake the Mac's market share in a couple of more weeks.

fadownjoo said:

m 7

Im using it and i love it. fast and looks good

InsaneVr6 said:

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. Honestly, it is the best OS I have ever used and it blows XP out of the water.

I like how the Mac commercials try to bash it like always, when they are just mad PC's own the computing market.

I heard they managed to get Windows 7 running on a Pentium II machine (with a lot of aesthetics and features disabled), but all the same that's pretty impressive.

Windows FTW

zaidpirwani said:

Rick said:

I beg to differ:

Hosting your Windows 7 Party

The parties were a disaster, though I really liked the Windows 7 Torrenting Party

Shalimar said:

Not a shock.. thankfully M$ has got half a clue since the Vista disaster... while w7 is NOT perfect by any means (For any XP users I'd still recomend waiting till SP1).. it is a nice and welcome improvement over Vista.. Oh and by the time w7 sp1 comes out the rest of us IT nerds can figure out how to screw over w7's limitations >

Timonius Timonius said:

I think i'm still going to wait to upgrade my old xp machine until the gaming commuity at large gives Windows 7 the green light. Other than that, once I build my new pc it will have windows 7 (and possibly dual boot win xp?).

PUTALE said:

if only MS would offer a big discounts to all of us who bought Vista, then it would've risen to maybe 80 . A lot of us still are not happy for the fact that we have to pay that much for an os.

Puiu Puiu said:

This is the natural outcome when you actually try to release a good product (and succeed). Windwos 7's shares will grow bigger that Vista's within an year. In 2 or 3 years it will even beat XP.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@IvanAwfulitch, Windows 7 is Vista significantly tweaked. The hardware standards have actually fallen quite a bit since Vista's release, with netbooks becoming very common. Microsoft needed to tweak Vista enough that it can run on them. That was quite a task.

I agree though that Vista is a decent OS. I've been running x64 for a while now on two different PC's, and it worked quite well. Granted I had 4GB when I installed it, but I had an Athlon X2 3800+, the slowest dual core, and had no problem with it. I still use it, since I don't have a real reason to switch to 7.

As for the news, I'm sure people could have calculated how much of a market share Windows 7 could have based on the number of preorders. Yes, the market climbed when people started getting their orders. How surprising.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Topic already created 4days ago here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic137094.html

Razerblade said:

You can't expect anything less when you have a great operating system that just works! If it was cheaper to buy (Specially for all the people who tested it!) then those shares would have grown higher!

jazboy said:

I was using vista home premium before and now i did clean install window 7 ultimate on my laptop. I am very pleased with performance of window 7. I felt, After long time microsoft released any good OS. I have used XP also and I think window 7 will beat XP very soon.

orondf said:

i dont have win 7 yet, but it certainly sounds excellent. i recommend installing win 7 pro/ultimate 64-bit, because of the RAM advantage received from 64-bit processing (up to 2 exabytes instead of 4GB from 32-bit), and win 7 pro and ultimate have xp mode, a very useful utility.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

ummmm yeah....very useful for those needing 2 exabytes of ram.

AfricanTech said:

Windows 7 really is a better Vista. I had Vista Home Premium on my daughter's machine, and while it was mostly "rock solid", the networking was somewhat flaky and difficult to troubleshoot. I did an "in-place" upgrade to Windows 7 last weekend and WOW - what a difference - smoother, faster, networking was a cinch (with Vista, it identified an IPV6 issue but I was never able to resolve it - with Win7, it identified the same issue but the problem was solved within 3 clicks) - and my daughter loves the new themes (bundled and the extra ones that were made available at launch) - eye candy does count in the fight for hearts and minds - and how easy it is to change them.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Is it just me, or is everyone else just getting caught up in the marketing hype? Yes, Windows 7 looks better than Vista and has some better features (such as networking) but they're not really something I would miss if I still used Vista. The load time (from boot to opening firefox, not from boot to login screen) is pretty much the same on my computer with a Athlon X2 4600+. Once all the driver issues in Vista got sorted, it was actually a pretty good OS. If you didn't listen to the Windows 7 hype, you would think it's just Vista with bigger buttons on the bottom.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

The title deceived me at first. I thought it was saying Windows 7 had a 40% market share! I can pick my jaw up off of the floor now.

I also think it's interesting how Mac's always bash Windows. If their OS is so great, why don't they simply let it speak for itself, instead of relying on bashing other platforms. Reminds me of liberals...

pioneerx01 pioneerx01 said:

Let's hope that Win7 will not turn into Win vista. Then you will see shares go 40% down.

I will still buy it in the near future, to give it try. not at 40.001%