Walmart's pre-Black Friday sale: $99 Xbox 360 Arcade, more

By on November 4, 2009, 3:13 PM
Walmart is gearing up for a pre-Black Friday sale of sorts this weekend, which will offer a significant discount on Microsoft's Xbox 360 Arcade. The console package, which sells for $199, will be accompanied by a free $100 gift card, effectively cutting the 360's price to $99. The Arcade unit comes with a wireless controller, 512MB of memory, and an HDMI port (no cable, though).

Some other deals include a $298 HP laptop with a 15.6" HD display, 2.2GHz Intel Celeron, 3GB of memory, a 160GB HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium, as well as several discounted home theater items. A 42" 1080p Sharp HDTV will be listed at $498, 46" for $698, and 52" for $898, while a 46" plasma HDTV from Panasonic will run $788. The Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray player will be knocked down to $148 and a Magnavox DVD player with 1080p upconvert will be priced at $29.

The in-store sale starts at 8AM November 7 (this Saturday) and lasts for one day only.

Concorde said:

It is great of course to live down here in New zealand but we do have to pay premium prices for our electronic goods. Oh to have a Walmart type store in my town, or anywhere in the country,never mind we get there in the end !

freedomthinker said:

Why can't my country have discounts like this ? Greedy bastards ;DDD

Colonel Lance said:

A pre-Black Friday sale huh? Why do stores need some sort of "reason" for sales when there obviously isn't any.

Just do a sale, why do you have to call it something especially if it's a "pre-" sale.

Deso said:

Wow 99 bucks for a xbox?? Damn that's nice, asuming you normaly shop at wallmart and make use of the 100 dollar gift card

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

@Colonel Lance: I don't think Walmart is officially calling it the "pre-Black Friday sale" heh.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

can i switch xbox for PS3?

buttus said:

Great price on the XBox. Pre sales sales though...an interesting concept.

Nice low price for an HP laptop. The processor seems to be the only drawback for me. What kind of performance can I expect from a celeron 900 with this system configuration?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So it's really $199 not $99, as the gift card (no doubt) will have to be used at Wally's-Mart. You're really buying a $199 gift card and using $99 of it on an XBox.

I mean it's a good deal if you were planning on shopping at WalMart and wanting an Xbox too, but really just clever marketing.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

@TomSEA: I'd argue that their tactics aren't exactly hidden. It's pretty obvious that they're just locking you into more Walmart purchases. *But* the fact is, you'll have to buy certain items anyway, and Walmart is likely to carry those products. Even if you just use the $100 on food or Xbox 360 accessories -- you will find a use for it.

Walmart certainly does benefit from the sale, and if they didn't, they wouldn't host it. That said, it's not like the consumer is losing out.

treeski treeski said:

I hope other stores put out some good deals similar to this. I really don't like supporting Walmart.

tengeta tengeta said:

First off, it says its accompanied by a FREE $100 card, which means yes, you have to use it. But it is $99 total. I would consider it if I didn't just blow a ton of money on other stuff... I need a HDMI capable 360 lol.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

tengeta - no, it's not "free." You must still pay $199. Ain't nothing free about that.

And Matthew, I agree - they're not hiding anything and you will get something with the gift card that you wouldn't elsewhere. But the fact remains that if you're shopping for an Xbox 360, then you're going to have to pay $199 for it just like everywhere else. Just my 2 bits...

xtina said:

In terms of the $100 gift card, you think it would be possible to turn around and use it on your current purchase? (the xbox?) I did that before once when I got a free gift card. That would be the ideal situation!

alberthuang said:

Interesting that they start a deal like this. I can't wait for other stores to do so too.

elroacho72 said:

The thing about a black Friday sales is the lack of quantity of the stuff ! I what a reasonably chance if I am going to have to shop with elbows up at some crazy sale.

MBK MBK said:

I guess i'll just have my little cry that I aint got a Wallmart near by... :'o(

Nice sale though, $99 for an x-box is nice, could get one of those 42" sharps with that gift vouture for $398 too...okay it's a sharp, but nice package for just under $500.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Damn it, as some say back there why can't this offers reach my country =/

Tgard said:

So is it easily possible to upgrade this version with a harddrive and if so, is it picky about which harddrive you have to use? I have seen articles on upgrading an arcade xbox 360 but are all of them upgradeable or only certain models? Any info would be appreciated guys!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Nice sales except the Xbox 360 Arcade, which is worth $0. Arcades break more often than any other console ever constructed, there cheap and poorly made thus there low price including low storage. Save up your money and either get the better Xbox, or a ps3, for the extra money you'll be saving yourself loads of time and sadness over when it breaks, or when you run out of space. On a side note, with your $99 xbox (if u get it) don't forget to get an xbox live subscription or you won't be able to get online ($60) plus the network adaptor($100) maybe a new game ($60) hmm or just get a ps3 for 299 and save money for a better deal.

jurrasstoil said:

Wow, thats a pretty nice deal.

Unfortunately i live in germany, but thats not too bad, because the PS3 will be for sale for 239? tomorrow. The same price as a Wii lol...

FrankTank said:

Nice deal on the xbox. I've been holding out for the $300 laptops to show up and it looks like their coming. Specs don't look to bad either.

ken777 said:

Some of those prices look pretty good, but I hate these "limited quantity" type sales. Hopefully no one gets trampled to death like last year's black friday at a Walmart.

Jimmy5 said:

I wouldn't shop at walmart if they were the last store on Earth and everything was a penny.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

jimmy5 said:

Ya... no. You would.

Wow, it's too bad I'm not in the market for any of those items! I don't need any computers, don't need a new TV or Xbox as my roommate has a 42" LCD, and an Xbox 360 pro. I guess there's always next year...

Puiu Puiu said:

I wish Walmart was in my country too. Today i'm getting my first salary (my first job - yahooo!) and i could have bought some nice stuff from them.

Flippa said:

I can see more people getting an xbox for christmas. Might even get one for my parents be more fun when i go visit them

I know what you mean! Here in Wellington i have a choice of either **** Smith Electronics or Noel Leeming. Both of which rip you off beyond belief. Walmart petition anyone?

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, those are some insane deals. I hope this is a just a taste of things to come this holiday season.

swilllx2p said:

Yeah some of these deals are pretty darn good. I'd love to get the 42" 1080p TV. I think they normally go for 700 or 800 so thats quite a deal. I've been wanting a new tv..but i don't really have the money to throw at a tv..that deal makes it tempting though.

fref said:

I am jealous of you guys every year when I see black Friday sales being announced. Wish we had that over here too.

The HP laptop with the Celeron 900 processor should be fine for someone who only uses Word, Excel, etc. and surfs the web. I have a low end processor in my laptop and I love it nonetheless.

Jimmy5 said:

I realize I would...

I was just emphasizing how much I avoid shopping there. I live near one and I shop anywhere but. I can find cheaper prices anywhere else and I am happy to do so.

jazboy said:

That is pretty good deal. I am not sure whether i will get the same deal on thanks giving or not. I will rush to walmart early morning to get this.

alexandrionel said:

Too bad I live in Romania. It would be nice to have an XBOX, but the Premium or Elite version. I think that at this moment the XBOX is better than the PS3.

gruesomeA said:

Wow thats a great deal, I may pick one of these up

check the fine print! it is an online only gift card! good luck using that around the holidays for anything good! they are sold out all the time!

I don't understand why y'all are hating on Walmart. I guess you ****** would rather pay more for the exact same item at another store. That's ridiculous... smh... some people's children.

The gift card is online only. The E-Card. No groceries!

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

Just remember the gift cards can be used at Sams Clubs as well. I personally don't shop at Walmart, but I do lots of shopping at Sams.

Will playstation 3 be on sale for the holidays

pioneerx01 pioneerx01 said:

Damn, Walmart is getting more and more into "tech business" I wonder when they will start selling video cards.

Souljacker Souljacker said:

I guess i'll just have my little cry that I aint got a Wallmart near by... :'o(

Lol. That, sir, is the oddest spelling out voucher I have ever seen!

Yeh, $100 is an awesome price for an xbox, well, certainly for us in the UK anyway!

The thing about the 100$ gift card,its actually worth 92$ since you paid tax to your uncle * when you buy the x-box for 200$,then you use that 100$ (92$) to buy stuff at wal mart,depending that its food,or games,you will pay tax again.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

From Walmart.com:

"Walmart Gift Cards purchased at Walmart.com or at a Walmart store are not taxable."

[link]

LOL some of you are failing to notice the price of the xbox is 199 not 99. It is 99 after you factor in the gift certificate.

You are wrong about the Xbox and money for this and that. walmar also offers a 20GB HDD a headset and a 3 month Xbox LIVE bundle for $50. So.. for $150 you get The complete Xbox experience! $300 PS3 or $150 Xbox??? I dont know!!!!!!!