ECS expects to ship 17.5 million motherboards in 2009, 20% growth in 2010

By on
Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) expects its own-brand motherboard sales to remain flat at 7 to 8 million units during 2009, but foresees significant growth next year, according to VP of ECS' channel business, David Chien. The company will expand its mid-range and high-end product lines, and plans for a growth of 20%, with a total of 8.4 to 9.6 million shipments.

With OEM motherboards included, ECS plans to move 17.5 million units in 2009, down 17% from 21 million in 2008. The loss is mostly attributed to stiff competition from rival motherboard makers like Foxconn and ASRock. The company noted that about 80% of the motherboards sold this year were Intel-based, while the remaining 20% were for AMD platforms.

Earlier this year, ECS set a goal to ship four million notebooks in 2009, but with sales for the first three quarters totaling less than 2.5 million units, the company may not meet its target.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.