Acer to launch Chrome OS-based netbook next year?

By on December 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
According to industry sources cited by DigiTimes, Acer plans to launch a netbook based on Google's Chrome operating system in the second half of 2010. The tipsters said that Acer has been developing the device since mid-2009, which is around the time that Google officially announced its new OS.

If true, Acer will be one of, if not the first company to officially release a netbook with Chrome OS. Similarly, the computer maker was also quick to introduce an Android-based Aspire One. Although that device has mostly been forgotten, it hasn't affected Acer's willingness to develop netbooks outside the realm of Microsoft's Windows.

If you can't wait until next year to get your hands on Chrome OS, there are a few ways to try it now. For starters, you could run the OS from a USB boot drive, but driver support is still rather limited. To experience Chrome OS in a more "complete" capacity, you could install this version on a Dell Mini 10V.

Decimae said:

Sounds nice. I always like when companies include an OS other than Microsoft Windows, because some people won't get in touch with another OS otherwise.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I could see ChromeOS working for Acer on their low-end netbooks. Those tend to be targeted towards users who spend lots of time online and don't need much horsepower or local storage, which is almost a tailor-made situation for Google's foray into operating systems.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The android based One failed for a lot of reasons, first and most important, was the same machine as the AOD250 with the only plus of android... who would change a netbook just for it's OS? Yeah that's right, no one.

Now google chrome OS might have more catch with people, since we already use google a lot for mail, search, chat, etc it is something that more than a couple will take the patience to learn how to use (Besides the common and basic features).

alexandrionel said:

I think that Google is moving things a bit too fast. I don't think we are ready for such an OS for at least 5 years. Be serious, who would want now to be completely dependent on the internet connection?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

alexandrionel said:

Agreed. I don't see either the OS or Acer's speed in adopting it to be very smart moves. I might get Chrome OS for the sake of playing with it, but that's about it.

Hereimiz said:

Nice to see some OS competition from a new angle

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Meh I'll keep to Ubuntu for my netbook for now.

tonylukac said:

Tried the usb chrome on my asus/intel and succeeded; all drivers appear to be there. Youtube video is choppy so perhaps there are more refined video drivers coming out. I don't know what option is open for printers, tho. That seems like a nightmare.

PUTALE said:

mmh, interesting to see chrome being adopted. I'ts a good idea in my opinion because netbook should have a leaner os and more web-centric os. However, can chrome support all of the web standard and security is yet to be seen

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

alexandrionel said:

So they should just wait 5 years, then hit the market with a product that MS or someone else has already done? They are being progressive, with a vision of a future of net-connected platforms, and are working towards that goal. If others had used your philosophy, the worldwide web wouldn't exist (oh, it'll be years before everyone has web access, let's just leave it as a bare console interface till then), just as an example. Forward thinking and being the FIRST to do things and push a concept has to be done by someone, why not Google?

And, as evidenced some reactions, people just don't get who this product targets right now. It is intended for the person who lives on the internet now, who just needs a light appliance to get to their browsing, and doesn't need big complex programs with tons of local storage. ChromeOS is not a Windows replacement (at this development), it's a targeted product aimed at a growing niche market that is currently bogged down under larger bloated OS options that are overkill for the situation. If Google can do it faster/cheaper/better and let that limited hardware fly a bit higher, then I say more power to them.

But, I don't see myself using it. I'm more of a power user, and it would probably be several iterations of ChromeOS (if it makes it past 1) before it was something that would be relevant to me.

manintech said:

good news, microsoft really needs some competitions

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I like the idea. More competition for M$! Anything that might bug M$ I am usually for :d

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cloud computing is the future, no doubt about it. Of course there's still questions around data security, internet infrastructre, etc. which need to be resolved, but maybe a new OS from such am influential company will push things forward quickly.

matchu said:

I'm personally not a fan of Netbooks in general. So this Chrome OS thing doesn't sit that well with me. If I wanted to be connected anywhere I go, I'd rather get a nice smartphone and data plan (which I plan on getting anyway). And if I wanted to actually do anything productive, I wouldn't want to use such a tiny and weak thing as a netbook. my 2cents

Serag said:

At first the idea of ChromeOS-based Netbooks sounded awesome..but getting to know how limited the OS is..I think it won't have many audience..only those who spend most of their time online and dont need much storage space or processing..

But I'd still love to see some competition with Microsoft...

FrankTank said:

I don't necessarily think MS is shaking in their pants at this. As everyone has said this is a niche product. Personally I could see this working out very well with netbooks and for Google. I think we may be seeing them move to get a stronghold in the netbook market which is growing and growing. We may even seen Netbooks move further down in price since their not carrying the cost of the MS OS.

TS- Thanks for posting this article. I learned a lot in reading other members post and it even forced me to go a step further and spend some time educating myself on this subject.

freedomthinker said:

Good for Google , absolutely stupid for Acer . You know why

ken777 said:

Second half of 2010 is a long way off. Win 7 isn't going to have any competition and is going to totally dominate on all the new Pine Trail netbooks coming out early next year.

timljh said:

manintech said:

good news, microsoft really needs some competitions

google actually said that it wont be a competitor for mac os or windows.. it is just targeting netbook segment.

lfg18 said:

Some companies are now planning products to run on this software, maybe because it is suposed to be free and for that the total price of the product will be lower, lower prices mean more sales haha, everybody will benefit, but seriously, do you remember what happened when linux was being used on netbooks some time ago?, microsoft dropped the price of it's windows XP and the dream was over, If this software catches on or seems to be starting to, Microsoft will probably do the same and as most of the people do not know what linux is or what chrome will be, when they are offered a laptop with this OS or Windows, they will probably chose the one they know.

Google has to be very careful about this if they want to get an important share of the market with their OS, but I'm not negative, i would love to see Microsoft kicked in the ...

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hope GCOS makes it out there, will mean a bit more competition, though I doubt big time it will boost at any point the amount of linux users out there, and according to marketshare percentages, they are but a few.

Like most back there said, people are just not ready to depend full time in internet connection. Until 3G is accessible for everyone anywhere at any time, it might.

RealXboxMaster said:

Chrome doesnt stand a chance to even compete with free OS's like Ubunto which is also free and been in developement for quite some time. I'd rather stick with my XP for that.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hopefully Acer will include Chrome OS as a second OS on a Windows netbook. Let it be used for quick net access when desired. That'd put it in reach of Windows users, unlike a standalone Chrome OS device, which will likely not see many buyers.

BlackIrish said:

They are starting to make cell phones out of computers, that's what Google is doing!

AbsolutGaloot said:

I'm glad to see that there are getting to be more options for netbooks: windows in any variety doesn't do well on the limited capabilities of the platform. Netbooks (in their usual sense, not the almost-laptops that are coming out) more or less need a special OS designed to make them as comfortable to use as a more powerful computer.

jgvmx said:

It's nice to see some alternatives to windows, but I think COS is still too limited for general usage to be sold on a $300 (if not higher, like many netbooks out there) machine that could be shipped with a more versatile OS like XP or some well-packed Linux distro. Unless Acer releases it at a lower price than current windows models I see no reason to buy such a netbook.

T77 T77 said:

who needs windows on a netbook ? as the name goes its just meant for the Internet. one need not waste money on it people can go in for the open source,free OS out there that serve their basic needs pretty well. as it is these machines don't have much horsepower. Google with its Chrome OS can take over the game from Microsoft's hand in the netbook market very easily. at the end of the day the average PC user is going to benefit.

claycc said:

if nothing else it would be nice to have a real alternative to windows

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For real?

A netbook might be thought of a NETbook, but now they are low-end notebooks with small screens and without a burner.

And Chrome... linux based... Linux, being free and all what linux-fan-boys talk about and send crap to microsoft on the doing so, hasnt penetrated the market. I made a paper a couple months ago, and 83% was controled by PC, a 16% by MAC and the rest were mobile phones and sorts of operative systems.

Out that 83% PC, 1,82% was linux based machines and the rest were windows.

1,82%! Being a free and open source system, no one likes it (Or yes, out of 10000 people 182 use linux the other 8118 use windows).

buttus said:

My only question is....why? I mean, is Chrome popular enough to warrant it's own model? I wonder if Google is greasing the wheels in an effort to "legitimize" their OS?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Buttus: Chrome is not popular, google is and so far they have been and will be hopefuly filling everyones expectations (Leaving googletalk aside :P).

That's why everyone is so anxious, and some not that much because it is too soon. Lets just hope for the best.