Acer to launch Chrome OS-based netbook next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to industry sources cited by DigiTimes, Acer plans to launch a netbook based on Google's Chrome operating system in the second half of 2010. The tipsters said that Acer has been developing the device since mid-2009, which is around the time that Google officially announced its new OS.

If true, Acer will be one of, if not the first company to officially release a netbook with Chrome OS. Similarly, the computer maker was also quick to introduce an Android-based Aspire One. Although that device has mostly been forgotten, it hasn't affected Acer's willingness to develop netbooks outside the realm of Microsoft's Windows.

If you can't wait until next year to get your hands on Chrome OS, there are a few ways to try it now. For starters, you could run the OS from a USB boot drive, but driver support is still rather limited. To experience Chrome OS in a more "complete" capacity, you could install this version on a Dell Mini 10V.

Permalink to story.

Sounds nice. I always like when companies include an OS other than Microsoft Windows, because some people won't get in touch with another OS otherwise.

I could see ChromeOS working for Acer on their low-end netbooks. Those tend to be targeted towards users who spend lots of time online and don't need much horsepower or local storage, which is almost a tailor-made situation for Google's foray into operating systems.

The android based One failed for a lot of reasons, first and most important, was the same machine as the AOD250 with the only plus of android... who would change a netbook just for it's OS? Yeah that's right, no one.

Now google chrome OS might have more catch with people, since we already use google a lot for mail, search, chat, etc it is something that more than a couple will take the patience to learn how to use (Besides the common and basic features).

I think that Google is moving things a bit too fast. I don't think we are ready for such an OS for at least 5 years. Be serious, who would want now to be completely dependent on the internet connection?

alexandrionel said:
I think that Google is moving things a bit too fast. I don't think we are ready for such an OS for at least 5 years. Be serious, who would want now to be completely dependent on the internet connection?
Agreed. I don't see either the OS or Acer's speed in adopting it to be very smart moves. I might get Chrome OS for the sake of playing with it, but that's about it.

Tried the usb chrome on my asus/intel and succeeded; all drivers appear to be there. Youtube video is choppy so perhaps there are more refined video drivers coming out. I don't know what option is open for printers, tho. That seems like a nightmare.

mmh, interesting to see chrome being adopted. I'ts a good idea in my opinion because netbook should have a leaner os and more web-centric os. However, can chrome support all of the web standard and security is yet to be seen

alexandrionel said:

So they should just wait 5 years, then hit the market with a product that MS or someone else has already done? They are being progressive, with a vision of a future of net-connected platforms, and are working towards that goal. If others had used your philosophy, the worldwide web wouldn't exist (oh, it'll be years before everyone has web access, let's just leave it as a bare console interface till then), just as an example. Forward thinking and being the FIRST to do things and push a concept has to be done by someone, why not Google?

And, as evidenced some reactions, people just don't get who this product targets right now. It is intended for the person who lives on the internet now, who just needs a light appliance to get to their browsing, and doesn't need big complex programs with tons of local storage. ChromeOS is not a Windows replacement (at this development), it's a targeted product aimed at a growing niche market that is currently bogged down under larger bloated OS options that are overkill for the situation. If Google can do it faster/cheaper/better and let that limited hardware fly a bit higher, then I say more power to them.

But, I don't see myself using it. I'm more of a power user, and it would probably be several iterations of ChromeOS (if it makes it past 1) before it was something that would be relevant to me.

Cloud computing is the future, no doubt about it. Of course there's still questions around data security, internet infrastructre, etc. which need to be resolved, but maybe a new OS from such am influential company will push things forward quickly.

I'm personally not a fan of Netbooks in general. So this Chrome OS thing doesn't sit that well with me. If I wanted to be connected anywhere I go, I'd rather get a nice smartphone and data plan (which I plan on getting anyway). And if I wanted to actually do anything productive, I wouldn't want to use such a tiny and weak thing as a netbook. my 2cents

At first the idea of ChromeOS-based Netbooks sounded awesome..but getting to know how limited the OS is..I think it won't have many audience..only those who spend most of their time online and dont need much storage space or processing..
But I'd still love to see some competition with Microsoft...

I don't necessarily think MS is shaking in their pants at this. As everyone has said this is a niche product. Personally I could see this working out very well with netbooks and for Google. I think we may be seeing them move to get a stronghold in the netbook market which is growing and growing. We may even seen Netbooks move further down in price since their not carrying the cost of the MS OS.

TS- Thanks for posting this article. I learned a lot in reading other members post and it even forced me to go a step further and spend some time educating myself on this subject.

Second half of 2010 is a long way off. Win 7 isn't going to have any competition and is going to totally dominate on all the new Pine Trail netbooks coming out early next year.

manintech said:
good news, microsoft really needs some competitions

google actually said that it wont be a competitor for mac os or windows.. it is just targeting netbook segment.

Some companies are now planning products to run on this software, maybe because it is suposed to be free and for that the total price of the product will be lower, lower prices mean more sales haha, everybody will benefit, but seriously, do you remember what happened when linux was being used on netbooks some time ago?, microsoft dropped the price of it's windows XP and the dream was over, If this software catches on or seems to be starting to, Microsoft will probably do the same and as most of the people do not know what linux is or what chrome will be, when they are offered a laptop with this OS or Windows, they will probably chose the one they know.

Google has to be very careful about this if they want to get an important share of the market with their OS, but I'm not negative, i would love to see Microsoft kicked in the ...

I hope GCOS makes it out there, will mean a bit more competition, though I doubt big time it will boost at any point the amount of linux users out there, and according to marketshare percentages, they are but a few.

Like most back there said, people are just not ready to depend full time in internet connection. Until 3G is accessible for everyone anywhere at any time, it might.

Chrome doesnt stand a chance to even compete with free OS's like Ubunto which is also free and been in developement for quite some time. I'd rather stick with my XP for that.

Hopefully Acer will include Chrome OS as a second OS on a Windows netbook. Let it be used for quick net access when desired. That'd put it in reach of Windows users, unlike a standalone Chrome OS device, which will likely not see many buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back